Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

A Ministerial Decree has been issued, school boards of management cannot overrule this.
    There is a legal debate on at the moment. As the minister does not run schools it is being queried if he has the power to compel a school to stay closed. Several schools in the Dublin area are taking legal advice on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Sauvblanc wrote: »
    Hail and light snow in Dublin 18

But it's raining in Dublin 6!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

Need some weather advise from our weather spotters all over Ireland. Some peoplein my work have to travel to Limerick City and Ballina tomorrow from Dublin early in the morning. How will the main roads be along the route. And how are the secondary roads around the National Tech Centre in Limerick and how are the secondary and rural roads around foxford ballina? Have to make the call tonight whether to travel otherwise we can go Tuesday? All info appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

that radar looks a bit odd! the perfectly symmetrical circular edge must be wrong..met office uk have it as well on their radar.

must be interference. seen it before....sometimes happens when there is a precip across a wide area. no idea what actually drives it. what i dont get why it is so light and intermittent when it is a solid blue.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    There is a legal debate on at the moment. As the minister does not run schools it is being queried if he has the power to compel a school to stay closed. Several schools in the Dublin area are taking legal advice on the matter.

Sorry I know off topic but the Government pay the teachers.

Still raining here in Dublin 6. It's slushy and not very pretty at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Roads are just about passable here in Clondalkin now. Temperature reached about 1.5c earlier today, although it's down to 0.5c or so now. Might have had a sprinkle of snow or rain, but nothing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sauvblanc

Getting heavier now in Dublin18... Dublin, you may get snow yet.
    But I doubt much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Tommo119

How has everyone done for snow then? Hope everyone got what they wished for. Can't have the worst cold snap in 30 years with no snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

MSporty wrote: »
    Need some weather advise from our weather spotters all over Ireland. Some peoplein my work have to travel to Limerick City and Ballina tomorrow from Dublin early in the morning. How will the main roads be along the route. And how are the secondary roads around the National Tech Centre in Limerick and how are the secondary and rural roads around foxford ballina? Have to make the call tonight whether to travel otherwise we can go Tuesday? All info appreciated

check aa roadwatch for the state of the roads. they have a map with little warning triangles on it

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

snaps wrote: »
    Yes ive rain in mayo, near claremorris

Galway City

Enough snow to make a 10 inch snowman at around 4pm. Nothing since.:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

More from Naas as of today. But big thaw setting in.

STA71465.jpg?t=1263151425

STA71466.jpg?t=1263151654

Its raining now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭.243

Noffles wrote: »
    Anyone know what the N11 is like now...and what is the forecast for over night?
    n11 is ok in both lanes from rathnew to kilmac no slush even just water,i had seen a gritter heading northbound about a half hour ago so the seem to be on top of it

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

Got a nice bit of snow in Kilkenny City, made a snowman with kids. Which they then knocked down!! just looked out the window and it is snowing again!! I wonder how much more we will get!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Drummer Mummer

Complete thaw here, temp up to +5c, strong east wind and raining; not a drop of snow or frost left anywhere.

ayumi wrote: »
    so schools here in dublin are opened tommorw except towns who had snow today

Can I ask where you got this information? As far as I know the schools in Lucan are still closed, by I could be corrected on this.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

My daughter refuses to look out at the rain....Its doing her head in that the snow is going...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cold rain outside now, getting milder and milder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Still nothing in Celbridge but predict snow to come at 8:13 pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

Has anyone got any pictures of the rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

raining in ashford :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

mine too....bah

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Heavy rain out, all remaining snow gone. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

MSporty wrote: »

Foxford to Ballina main road is fine, side roads around are deadly (packed snow and ice ) you can drive on them but vvvvvverry slow,

been freezing here since 18th Dec,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Not all schools in Dublin are open- here in Lucan village only 2 of the 3 primary schools will be open. Boards of Management are eager to open if possible- as they have to make up the closed days elsewhere. Its already being speculated that the midterm breaks will be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Hmmmm. Maybe someone should start a winter schools closed thread :(

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

The snow is getting heavier again here in Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

Just had a call from my mum, who said the country file weather forecast said lots of snow all over Ireland for Tuesday. Does someone have a link? or thoughts on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

John mac wrote: »
    Foxford to Ballina main road is fine, side roads around are deadly (packed snow and ice ) you can drive on them but vvvvvverry slow,

been freezing here since 18th Dec,

Thanks John,

Is there any sign of a thaw on the way? One of our lads had to be pulled out of a ditch on friday on one of the secondary roads. No damage done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Jake1 wrote: »
    Can I ask where you got this information? As far as I know the schools in Lucan are still closed, by I could be corrected on this.
    Thanks.

This is the sort of thing that confuses people, mixing up information for something as important as school. We all saw it on the news, basically ALL schools still closed tomorrow as per news reports all weekend. The situation will be reassessed on Tuesday and a decision made then. I am sure all schools will be in touch with parents and local radio stations tomorrow about when they reopen.
    That is what I am following for my kids anyway!

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    Not all schools in Dublin are open- here in Lucan village only 2 of the 3 primary schools will be open. Boards of Management are eager to open if possible- as they have to make up the closed days elsewhere. Its already being speculated that the midterm breaks will be cancelled.

Has there been an official announcement about this?

I as far as I'm concerned all schools are closed tomorrow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement