Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

according to ME, bbc & sky kilkenny and the surronding areas (clonmel, carlow, etc) over as far as wex to be snowy for the week. sorry cork, ur due rain by tuesday. dub....rain rain and more rain :(

lucky gits, if i was at home i'd have a snow bear family by now

to be honest i think most of the country will have rain bar maybe high ground and up north towards ulster. will have a better idea by tomorrow whether this cold airs puts up a fight or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭manonmir

was down in deansgrange 15 mins ago. sleet / rain for 20 mins or so but it turned into heavier sleet with a fair few snow flakes in the mix. Stopped after 5 minutes though. Thaw almost complete, even if it does snow (which it won't) it can't stick, water everywhere on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

snowing in the isle of man

That takes the biscuit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

I saw some very, very light drizzling sleety stuff here half-an-hour ago... it was nearly as useless as Ireland's Got Talent. :(

Ireland's Got Snow is more fun.

Only good thing if we don;t get any snow here is we won't have to put up with worst of the worst... the dreaded slush :eek: wet and horrible sloppy grey snow murdering Sh*te that comes upon you like a recededing hairline, revealing the grotty green like a shiny head on a baldrick.

Take that all back... as I was writing it has just started snowing!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

to be honest i think most of the country will have rain bar maybe high ground and up north towards ulster. will have a better idea by tomorrow whether this cold airs puts up a fight or not.

Wet snow falling now. Reasonably heavy.

• Advertisement

alo1587 wrote: »
    Im in mallow town,getting heavier now:D

yeah but not very yet maybe in a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mallet head

Breaking news.........................

Met Eireann has warned sleet and snow of up to 5cm in the south of the country is due to spread northwards, possibly turning to rain in eastern coastal counties.

Giving a glimmer of hope, forecasters predicted an end to the arctic conditions - now into a fourth week - by Friday when temperatures are expected to rise, although icy conditions will remain for the days ahead.

Heavy snow in the east of the country caused chaos for air travellers on Saturday as Dublin Airport was forced to close for four hours, with more than 70 flights affected by cancellations and delays.

A spokeswoman said 26 Ryanair flights were cancelled, 29 Aer Lingus and three Aer Arann, but the airport was operating fully again today.

The AA said it responded to 1,013 breakdown call-outs last Monday - the highest number in its 100-year history.

Conor Faughnan, director of policy, said: "It was an extraordinary week, we simply have never seen anything like it in the AA.

"We are gearing up for the same again from tomorrow as the forecast is for the freeze to continue. Let's hope this week sees the end of it."

University College Dublin has closed its Belfield and Blackrock campuses until Tuesday and the state's 4,000 schools will remain shut until Thursday.

Meanwhile the chair of the National Emergency Response Committee, Sean Hogan, will appear before the Oireachtas Environment Committee on Tuesday to answer questions from TDs and Senators on the state's response to the cold snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

DDigital wrote: »
    Just got this from a friend in Cork. Said you were all telling porkies. He took this photo near Inishannon this afternoon!

scan0001.jpg?t=1263152282
    Loling! Roll on Inishannon weather!Guess dis was taken with Mr Dempsey yesterday!:D:D:D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Just started to to snow just outside Galway city, on second thoughts not sure if it qualifies as snow the flakes are tiny and very very light.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

leahyl wrote: »
    And you said there would be no snow in Cork on the Cork forum last night:p!!

Lol yeah...a bit of reverse psychology on the weather. you are wecome :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭PistolPete78

nah just a gap i'd say we had that earlier too near mallow.

if this was an all rain event, there woild be no gap in the feckin rain thats for sure....:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Seriously why funk is it not showing!! If that radar is to be believed it must be snowing.... I've obviously got some weird problem with my eyes that doesn't allow me see snow!

Web_radar.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Rain rain rain all day long and all my snow is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

watching a bit of the real madrid game there and just to depress me even more it is snowing in madrid:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

been raining on and off here in Donabate. Looking at the radars etc, looks like thats what we'll be getting for the night. All the snow and ice is gone from the roads. Noticeable drop in temp over the last while though. Heres hopin!

if this was an all rain event, there woild be no gap in the feckin rain thats for sure....:D:D

you can say that again - we don't events as closely though particularly the street lighting!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Still a good snow cover but gone a bit slushy. What feels like very, very light rain now - it's so light can't really tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

That takes the biscuit!!

if it makes u feel better, its vary light and at high lvl, 422 meters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Finally snowing in Clara Co. Offaly my son watching out the window waiting all day :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Shane732 wrote: »
    Seriously why funk is it not showing!! If that radar is to be believed it must be snowing.... I've obviously got some weird problem with my eyes that doesn't allow me see snow!

Web_radar.gif

ok, correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't that just show cloud? and doesn't the blue signify small amounts of precipitation?

Whether it falls as snow or rain has got more to do with temps and dew points etc, rather than the amount of blueyness :) Is it not the case that its just too warm for snow in a lot of places under that blue smudge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

WHY is it not snowing in Galway City... at all?? Cause I'm here, or what? :(
    That is most odd Fig, considering it has been snowing here since 11am

It is due to spread north so hopefully you will see it snow soon. My prediction on Friday of snow heaviest in SW turned out right. I think that was the 889th prediction I made on that day but anyway:o

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭PistolPete78

you can say that again - we don't events as closely though particularly the street lighting!:)

snowin where u are??:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

It's a good sign if it is falling (lightly) as snow here, next to the sea, for when that bigger bit of precip hits this part of the country. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Finally snowing in Clara Co. Offaly my son watching out the window waiting all day :o

aaawww that's great for your son! And yourself you must have been driven demented! LOL:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

We're in the cloud now so a break in the snow for a little while.

snowin where u are??:cool:

yep it sure is - more or less non stop since 10am ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Hurrah! It's raining in Swords, all the snow and ice is melting away. The temp is a steady 3c all day. I'll be glad to see the back of this spell. Maybe I'll finally be able to park my car in my driveway tomorrow! Sorry snow but you outstayed your welcome!

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    That is most odd Fig, considering it has been snowing here since 11am

It is due to spread north so hopefully you will see it snow soon. My prediction on Friday of snow heaviest in SW turned out right. I think that was the 889th prediction I made on that day but anyway:o

wolfe have you the hirlam website link? norwegian website i think thanks and congrats on your prediction.will never doubt you again!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Snowed most of the day in East Clare and we have about 2 inches lying now, temp has risen and is now sitting at 0.3C

I just want my water supply back now - frozen somewhere between the well and the house... last night I had a dream about having a bath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

sean555 wrote: »
    Just started to to snow just outside Galway city, on second thoughts not sure if it qualifies as snow the flakes are tiny and very very light.

Go on ya good thing:):):):):)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement