Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

still snowing here. Been going on nearly 10 hours now, although the last 6 hours have been very light :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

poxy rain here in leitrim and its the mildest night for a month:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

leahyl wrote: »
    aaawww that's great for your son! And yourself you must have been driven demented! LOL:D

Indeed it is great. I know what its like. I was doing that this morning. :) I still keep on going to the window just to make sure it still snowing. Which it is.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭manonmir

I propose we rename this weather front "leahyl", I can't have been the only one really rooting for them today, they've been here for the long haul since the start of this tearing their hair out with the disappointments, then the possible last event that could have hit them in this spell hits the jackpot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

aaawww that's great for your son! And yourself you must have been driven demented! LOL:D

Is it still snowing up your way??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Does anyone know if the snow will remain thick oncork coastal areas tomororw,this is the first time its been so tihnk down here ad were all enjoying it so we dont want it to go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

so wolfe whats your next weather prediction?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

manonmir wrote: »
    I propose we rename this weather front "leahyl", I can't have been the only one really rooting for that guy today, he's been here for the long haul since the start of this tearing his hair out with the disappointments, then the possible last event that could have hit him in this spell hits the jackpot.

is leahl not a female?! i am sure she can answer that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

manonmir wrote: »
    I propose we rename this weather front "leahyl", I can't have been the only one really rooting for that guy today, he's been here for the long haul since the start of this tearing his hair out with the disappointments, then the possible last event that could have hit him in this spell hits the jackpot.

eh i think you'll find 'he' is a she;)!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Seloth wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the snow will remain thick oncork coastal areas tomororw,this is the first time its been so tihnk down here ad were all enjoying it so we dont want it to go :D

no its predicted to spread north during the night and a thaw begins tom. enjoy it while you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Just as I look at the window again, I notice snow gone very light :o

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

Snow easing slightly here down here south of Cork - reverted to smaller flakes like this morning - temp (0.9) and DP (-0.2) have both risen slightly.

No sign of a thaw yet though.....

Edit: just started up heavily again - God I'm enjoying this. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Raining lightly here.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭manonmir

eh i think you'll find 'he' is a she;)!

lol apologies, edited.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

Elessar wrote: »
    Hurrah! It's raining in Swords, all the snow and ice is melting away. The temp is a steady 3c all day. I'll be glad to see the back of this spell. Maybe I'll finally be able to park my car in my driveway tomorrow! Sorry snow but you outstayed your welcome!

Couldn't agree more. When it goes beyond one day, it just becomes an utter nuisance and stops people living their lives. Why people welcome the disruption puzzles me:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Any snow on it's way to Dublin 10? It was raining a while ago for the first time in ages :(

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

raining/wet sleet in rathfarnham, temp has dropped from 3c to 2.1c, so has the head of my snowman.
    is the temp going to drop more? is it going to snow anymore in dublin?

http://www.sat24.com/

Why most of the eastern side of Ireland only got rain today is a mystery
    It just goes to show that any snowfall in this country is a lottery at best.
    I mean we had a potent easterly, low 850's touching -8, thickness a bit borderline but ok, and a frozen Britain where the wind was blowing from.
    Also we had the ground under freezing temps for 3 weeks.
    It's no mystery and was explained to you earlier only you seem not to want to listen.
    -8 850 air would not be enough when surface air contains too much moisture to too high a level near the coast.
    This surface air dryed out as it headed inland towards munster as it was taking an entirely almost land track which lowered dewpoints to the right end of marginal by enough..

The same applies in a northwesterly cold flow by the way when coastal parts of the west recently saw rain.
    Again,I have to say for someone who is on netweather so much you seem to have learned very little about the dynamics of weather for to be coming out with statements like the above and the rain being a mystery...

Also Britains ground may be frozen but the surface air today most certainly was not and that was one of the vital things missing today compared to other days.
    It's simply the difference between rain and snow on the East coast when 850's are below -8c...Always has and always will be.
    The East coast of England also saw rain today.

Mt cranium got it mostly right again.
    Other good forecasters here too saw the writing on the wall for East coast low level snow today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Slight rain here in Cobh. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

dbyrne wrote: »
    raining/wet sleet in rathfarnham, temp has dropped from 3c to 2.1c, so has the head of my snowman.
    is the temp going to drop more? is it going to snow anymore in dublin?

I'm sure it will eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Couldn't agree more. When it goes beyond one day, it just becomes an utter nuisance and stops people living their lives. Why people welcome the disruption puzzles me:confused:

cause its a novel thing to have here. and if our transport department was any good, then 6ft of snow would be no problem as roads and paths etc would be clear leaving lovely virgin snow in piles to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

btw everyone - i love all types of extreme weather - like storms, heat waves so once this episode is over i hope we have many more of these conversations about snow, storms and sun!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

Cork Airport still clinging on to 0c and 0c dewpoint at 8pm.
    Amazing how we kept this cold so close to the south coast considering some of the stories from the east and SE coasts. Cant understand it.

8 hours of continuous snow now (alot light) but plenty lying and it continues ..........
    Dont care about the thaw - we got our "white-out" snow day down here, made snowmen and had fun. Couldnt have asked for more. It can thaw away now.
    Bit worried about the potential floods though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Very strange colour in the sky to the south of galway city, loads of clouds they are a strange ash/orange colour any idea if they are good for snow

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

another non- event here:D

i knew it was game over once the ice pellets started falling then there was 25 minutes minutes of sleet before it turned to a mixture of sleet and wet snow. pointless.

i think i can forget about transitional snow on tuesday because, if it could get marginal nearly a day before it was expected to this far west, from an easterly with thickness of 528 -529 and 850mb temps favourable for snow, then there is snow chance from an atlantic system.

the snowgods have a sense of humour and are merciful by sending snow to snow-deprived cork and not to the west.

anyway, did someone mention something about a return of the cold being suggested by the ecmwf?? onwards to more let downs then!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17 emac82

Raining here now on Skehard rd starting to melt the lying snow:mad: Looks like i might have to go to work tomorrow afterall!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Fluffy snow in Kinnegad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

It's been snowing here for 9 hours non stop:eek:
    Definatly the biggest & most widespread snow event Cork has seen since the 80's
    As I said earlier a little disturbance running along the trough is helping it stall over Cork.Radar full of the stuff, I fully expect it to snow until morning. Roads may not be too bad though if it doesn't freeze
    I'll be having a late start myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Irishmarinelife

Very light snow/ rain/ sleet in coastal southwest Mayo right now.

Yesterday evening a fantastical experience of large snowflakes falling around me as I was surfing occurred, so I'm happy with Big Freeze 09.

http://irishmarinelife.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

saw a gritter at the yellow house pub with a snow plough on my way home, better late than never i suppose

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement