Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Network Help!

• 10-01-2010 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I would appreciate if anyone could give me some help on a little problem I have.

Basically, I have a Netopia Eircom Router

eircom_netopia.jpg

and a Belkin 54G Wireless Router
    bg_belkin01.jpg

Both are connected to my Laptop (wired) downstairs (I don't have a desktop PC, so I use my Laptop wired as an alternative). Upstairs I have my main Desktop, which is receiving wireless via a USB Belkin Adapter BELKIN-WIRELESS-G-USB-R7061-0.jpg

Now, all wireless connections are made through my Belkin router (using a wep Key), as in my xbox, desktop upstairs, Ipod etc. It was working fine until recently, it has started to DC a lot lately for no reason. When I am upstairs someone must repeatedly remove/re-insert the power cable on the router to make it work again, even then it keeps happening.

I read online that disabling the wireless abillity on my modem would stop my router from DCing all the time. I tried but saw no improvement. My Netopia modem allows wireless so I was thinking of switching to that. On my eircom manual it gives me the WPA encryption key for my Netopia Modem (SSID5203 2523, something like that). Anyway, on my desktop PC upstairs, when I scanned for wireless connections, my router was found (belkin54g), but my eircom modem appeared twice for some really odd reason (SSID5203 2523 and SSID 5213 3063 or something similiar). I tried each one with the WPA keys and none of them work. All they do is try to connect (searches for network), works for a split second, then tries to reconnect. It's really strange. I wish to use my eircom modem for wireless so if anyone could give me a hand I would appreciate it!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

One question, why do you have 2 routers on one machine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Yeah why are you daisy chaining a wireless router off a wireless router??

Surly take the belkin out of the chain and just use the eircom one... Will support all your mentioned devices..

reset your eircom router.. should be pin hole reset somewhere on back bottom.. set up all security again.. still no joy then it may be broken.. ring eircom..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Yeah why are you daisy chaining a wireless router off a wireless router??

Surly take the belkin out of the chain and just use the eircom one... Will support all your mentioned devices..

reset your eircom router.. should be pin hole reset somewhere on back bottom.. set up all security again.. still no joy then it may be broken.. ring eircom..
    I think the daisy chaining is causing the issue.

OP, I have one router and currently have my PS3 and laptop working wirelessly with no issues. My advice, get rid of one router and start from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Ah I solved it, on my Modem's home page I had my secuirity settings set to WEP instead of WPA! Oops!

Good to hear your sorted it. But, still get rid of one of the routers :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

I have aNetopia Eircom router and have 3 computers, PS3, and a WII all connected to it and it works great! Maybe having 2 routers is causing more hassle.

Advertisement