Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the Best File Recovery Application you have used?

• 10-01-2010 2:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

In your replies, please give the Name,
    the platform (Win/Mac/Linux), the Price (freeware/shareware) and why you found it so good.

It will be the interesting to see the replies,
    if theres any good free apps, and if anyone knows what the Hard Drive Recovery Companies use.
    In Cork ive read that GetDat

DiskInternals Unreaser (Windows, shareware)
    This is the most user friendly program i have used, but im not sure if it's the best,
    i seriously need to do more testing and comparing with the others.

For CD/DVDs:
    Isobuster (windows, freeware).
    I found this excellent for recovering a Quick Formatted DVD-RW,
    it was badly scratched, so it had some bad sectors,
    and Isobuster gave a few options when it came across them:
    Retry, Ignore, Ignore All, Fill with Zeros etc...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭corkproducers

Btw for recovering from clicking/broken hard drives,
    i did the Freezer trick recently with a 3.5" hard drive and it actually worked,
    it gave me about a half an hour or so to recover! Its not a myth.

Also, i had to recover from a clicking laptop hard drive recently,
    that would very rarely boot, one in every 20 attempts maybe.

For this i just squeezed the sides of the hard drive,
    and the needle stopped clicking (laptop drives are flimsy and the metal case can actually be squeezed)

I had to squeeze the hard drive with my bare hand for almost an hour,
    until it was backed up to an image,
    but in the end i got there! As soon as i loosened my grip it began clicking again.

This may only have worked due to how this particular drive was damaged,
    it may not work for you of course, but might be worth trying out before attempting the freezer trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I have n doubt that Recover My Files is the best programme that I've eveer used. It's available as an evaluation version but you're better off paying for the licence to get full capabilities.

Ref: http://www.recovermyfiles.com/

I have been using computers since as far back as I can remember, and I have made many mistakes (re: deleting important files!); so I therefore have used many different types of recovey tools too. this one (above) is the best.

Kevin

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ddrescue and photorec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Data rescue 2 is incredible. Granted it jams all your files into one folder with weird names and leaves a lot of work, but it has never once failed me when I have used it. Have used it for friends camera cards, memory sticks, my own HD's etc etc

For mac btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Active@ File Recovery

Why?

Because it has never failed to recover any time I've used it.

It costs about $35 but in my opinion it is worth every cent.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
Advertisement