Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dermatitis

Options
  • 10-01-2010 2:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I'm not sure where to post this as I'm not a parent looking for advice, it's for me but please feel free to move the thread or point me in the right direction.

I thought I might post this here because some of you might have experience in stopping children scratching at night?

I have it on my hands, my little finger and ring finger on my right hand to be exact. I've tried everything, silcocks, aqueous, numerous handcreams, hydrecortisone cream and wearing cotton gloves at night time ,but still I am waking up during the night scratching, and I mean proper digging my nails in scratching.

I haven't got the money for the doctor just yet so I am asking please does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

it depends on the situation..usually a steroid cream like betamethasone does wonders 3/4 x applied daily until symptoms abade then once daily..but is only available on prescription..? Avoid hand wash soaps/ creams that agrevate the situation till doctors notice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Littleblondehen

Thanks Colpriz.
    I'm going to have to go to the Doc asap. I'm trying to avoid handwashes etc, but I'm training to be a beautician and hairdresser so I can't avoid hand sanitisers. :( For the hairdressing part it's ok, I can wear gloves, but the beauty side I can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

i've have a mild skin problem on my hands for years..usually appears in the summer. i found using aqueous cream instead of soap products really helped. its over the counter and really cheap. I wouldn't use steroid creams etc unless its really nescessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Make sure the gloves at night are sellotaped/velcroed on so you don't scratch yourself, I also wear normal wooly gloves over the cotton ones so I don't scrape myself using the cotton ones since they are quite thin.

Maybe pop to your local pharmacy and see if the pharmacist can recomend anything over the counter that might work. I personally love Boot's skin therapy emollient cream for dry skin/ezcema, it's got almond oil and lanolin, helps my skin stop itching. I find with all these creams and stuff you need to keep applying them reguarly as well as avoiding as many chemicals as possible (never easy!!). Good luck :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

try bathing in a solution with oats in it, for a bath put a handfull of oats into a clean pair of tights, or muslin cloth and then hang on the tap when you run it. squeeze out some of the liquid and use to wash skin. you can reuse it a few times. Oats are very calming to the skin and I would often recommend this treatment for anyone with dermatitis or exczema as well.
    great in this weather too for wind or cold burnt skin. safe for anyone to use as well. Used it on my son when he was very small and had a very bad reaction to a medicine taken.

• Advertisement
Advertisement