Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science vs Information Technology in college

Options
  • 10-01-2010 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭

Hey

Was just wonderin what exactly is the difference between these 2 degrees?

All I found online is that Computer Science is creating new software, and IT would be maintaining systems already there

If I do a degree in Computer Science, could I still do work more related to IT?

My college only has the 2 years cert course in Computing, so if I stay on to the degree, it would be in Computer Science

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 OneStop

I too would be interested to know the difference...can anybody offer any input?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

My understanding is Computer Science is very programming heavy where as IT would be programming with some networking/infrastructure/computer theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭theone

To me Computer science is more theory based and an IT degree is more practical and hands on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

The best way to find the difference is to look at the course modules. I remember Computer Science in UCD had a huge array of courses, from Computer Architecture (hardware) to Software Development. I don't think there's a specific definition for either "Computer Science" or "Information Technology" and you could find identical course work in both.

Looking at DIT School of Computing Website http://[URL="http://www.comp.dit.ie/website07/courses.php"]www.comp.dit.ie/website07/courses.php[/URL], they have 3 IT degree courses. Their "Computer Science" degree blurb seems to suggest that it is slanted towards Programming, and their "Computing" degree a mix of programming & System/Network support. Their "Information Tech." degree blurb is far more vague. So it comes down to looking at the actual course modules, and if possible speaking with students, graduates or staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

It all depends on the college and the Faculty that the degree is offered in. For example, if an IT degree was offered under the school/faculty of engineering then you could expect a more hands on practical based degree than for example if an IT degree was offered under the school/faculty of business or humanities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

Back when i was applying for courses the difference was that Computer science was extreemly theory based. You were learning about things like OS construction, detailed analysis of protocols and other very specialized areas.

This is all good to know, but there is little practical experience gained.

You learn about these topics, but on a more limited scale doing a course in Information Technology, but you also get your hands dirty from day one. Programming, projects, networking, subnetting, programming routers etc etc etc.

I guess, if you want to go into research, the computer science would be better(this is not an absolute statement though) but for a better understanding and appriciation of what is required in a real world job, the IT degree would be in the lead.

Advertisement