Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really f'ed myself up now...advice?

Options
  • 10-01-2010 4:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

So here's the jist of it;
    6th year, joined school in 2nd year (came in from London) and took up French, which after doing badly with in the JC, dropped for German at the start of 5th year.

I know I know, this was basically a terrible move, but the French teacher I was going to have, I didn't get on well with on a personal level, so that really wasn't going to help my already failing French.
    Now, 6th year, my German is non-existant. I have learnt none...not due to being a messer, but due to getting heavily sidetracked with other interests and not studying it.
    Instead I spent free time studying music, biology (not the syllabus sadly, but more on evolution, zoology and anthropology), theism/atheism and philosophy, and I mean a lot, spending hours and hours playing music or reading books into the subjects through to 6 or 7am, and subsequently, due to sleeping time lost at night, missed a lot of school and got called in by the principle and councillor for talks on why I've missed so much time (What answer could I give?).

So now here I am, in the position that teachers warn us about long in advance, that we say we wont get in to; I'm unprepared for the Leaving, mainly in German.
    Due to coming into the country in 2nd year, I don't do Irish, so I only have 6 subjects (the minimum required for most college courses) as opposed to 7, so I can't really drop German, can I?

Is 5 subjects acceptable for the LC?
    I literally have no German under my belt, and will get fried for the orals, and any time spent trying to 'cram' German now will a) Be useless and b) Affect other subjects...
    What do I do, drop it?
    It's lose lose right now the way I look at it.

- Martin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

This is probably a stupid question but are you better at French than German? You say you did French for JC albeit badly but you also say you've NO German.

Could you switch back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

First and foremost don't panic.

Could you take Pass French?
    Do you take Religion as a subject?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭smartarse2007

i hate to say it but sadly yes your prob in one of the worst positions going right now,

however why in gods name did they allow you to take up german in 5th year it is a subject which can only be started in 1st yr seriously as ya know with everything it all builds on the JC

and as you know yourself the german oral especially is alot harder than french and irish so many different parts to it etc

however what i would do if i was you is go to your counciler say you want to take music aswell.....which ur perfectly entitled to cause even if you wanted to you could ask to sit the arabic exam nothing is stopping you tbh.( that is once you havent sent in your form for which exams you will be sitting and which levels cause once that is gone its gone and sadly you are stuck with those subjects)

anywho say u want to sit music too and then try to go and have a chat with the music teacher bout the exam cause as far as i know you can get up to 50% of your mark for it if you choose practical as you elective

anywho have a chat with him buy the papers study them and try to get grinds or something in them cause frankly there is no point to try study a language that you have no idea about for 2months for the oral as

1-you dont have the vocab which is essential

2- german grammer is complicated and not something you can learn over night

3-you prob dont really even know how to pronounce stuff

seriously i cant believe the school allowed you to transfer into german, im in my 2nd yr of university and im studying german as a joint degree with business and even still the simplist grammer can mess me up

anywho sorry for being so negative hope i have helped you or at least given you options for the music end of it and best of luck,
    and use this time till thursday to catch up on the music get the exam papers, get revise wise / less stress for it and GET WORKING ASAP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭captainscarlet

The way it stands, you need a European language to get into most college courses. Its not too late to brush up on french. Any grinds or classes you can take in your spare time will greatly improve your chances of passing.

All you need is to learn 15 minutes of prepared notes for the oral, the aural exam is easy enough since you answer in english, and with enough work the written should be more than passable.

Good luck and play to your strenghts!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

The way it stands, you need a European language to get into most college courses. Its not too late to brush up on french. Any grinds or classes you can take in your spare time will greatly improve your chances of passing.

All you need is to learn 15 minutes of prepared notes for the oral, the aural exam is easy enough since you answer in english, and with enough work the written should be more than passable.

Good luck and play to your strenghts!

Agree. From the sounds of it, French is your best bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Delta_Raven1

in fairness all you would need to get is a d3 in pass to get into any college

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Man German really isn't that bad.
    I did German and French in 1st year and then g into 5th year, last ydropped them for woodwork, and since goinear, I had to pick one, so I choose German. I'm doing pass, I think n't matter i'll get a C, it doesonce I pass i'll be happy.

Its really easy, the exam, the oral, the tapes pretty easy too.
    I really can't say much, I know basic German but all you gotta do is learn a few verbs and the word order rules and you'll be fine.

Advertisement