Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running out of novel things to do now you've turned 18? Look no further!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I think I mgiht be in the same boat,I had a period where I would pass out when I stood up quickly.

If not,Then WOOT! less than 3 weeks 'til I can give blood

I went through that in TY, so I got loads of tests done to see was I alright, which I am.

It's still feckin going over three years later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IronGirl92

Wish I could :( But apparently they don't like the iron-less blood! Hopefully someday it'll come up to the level it needs to be though! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

IronGirl92 wrote: »
    Wish I could :( But apparently they don't like the iron-less blood! Hopefully someday it'll come up to the level it needs to be though! :rolleyes:

I find your username very ironic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Gave blood yesterday evening, am hoping to switch over to donating platelets instead if I'm suitable. Signed up for that so hopefully I shall get called for an interview soon. \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IronGirl92

Pygmalion wrote: »
    I find your username very ironic.

:rolleyes: Irony is what I aimed for

• Advertisement

IronGirl92 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Irony is what I aimed for

Lolcano!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,459 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Jay P wrote: »
    Lolcano!

Lolcano? Never heard that, but thats quality!

About blood donation, yeah I do platelets, tis handy enough. Only one or two mishaps over time(collapsed vein once and otehr time think body was still wrecked from severely long flight). Always do try and do it though, and like to encourage others to aswell. Worthy cause, and ya can step up on the moral high-horse from time to time:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

just wondering about this: I'm 18 in 2 weeks,and the FAQ says you need to be 18 to give blood,just wondering can I get a start on the paperwork before hand[they need to do blood tests etc. beforehand don't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

just wondering about this: I'm 18 in 2 weeks,and the FAQ says you need to be 18 to give blood,just wondering can I get a start on the paperwork before hand[they need to do blood tests etc. beforehand don't they?

nope, no head start needed. Paperwork is done on the day and they take the blood samples at the same time as they take your donation =) you'll just have to wait in suspense I'm afraid =P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Gave blood yesterday evening, am hoping to switch over to donating platelets instead if I'm suitable. Signed up for that so hopefully I shall get called for an interview soon. \o/
    Why so? Is that easier/quicker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

oh great thanks,I was expecting to wait a few months before my first donation[in which time I would more than likely have forgotten about it]

jumpguy wrote: »

No, platelets are in high demand. The process is much different to just giving blood and it takes a whole lot longer, so not as many people donate.

jumpguy wrote: »

Nah, it takes 55 minutes + apparently. It means I can donate more frequently (the platelets are essentially filtered out and you get the rest of the blood back, so you don't have to wait the 3 months like you usually do for the erythrocytes/red blood cells count to improve again) and they're always looking for people to donate them. I want to help, and it doesn't cost me anything, except a couple of hours every month or two, so why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Nah, it takes 55 minutes + apparently. It means I can donate more frequently (the platelets are essentially filtered out and you get the rest of the blood back, so you don't have to wait the 3 months like you usually do for the erythrocytes/red blood cells count to improve again) and they're always looking for people to donate them. I want to help, and it doesn't cost me anything, except a couple of hours every month or two, so why not?

Do you get more free cookies?

phlegms wrote: »
    Do you get more free cookies?

Entirely possible! Chocolate yesterday. Delicious chocolate. \o/

I got a free crunchie and taytos and I didn't even give blood! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Halpin94

Drank all the booze your liver can handle? Bought ciagarettes even though you don't smoke, just cos you could? Played the Lotto when you knew you had no chance of winning? Voted? Got a credit card? Seems like there's one thing left to complete your list of things you can now legally do, give blood.

I thought the last thing would be to go get a full driver's licence...
    icon6.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Halpin94 wrote: »

I thought the last thing would be to go get a full driver's licence...
    icon6.gif

Can be done when your 17. Had mine 7 months to the day pretty much after I turned 17.

OT, I went to give blood, but my blood flow was too slow and they only managed to get enough for the test bag :o. That was a few weeks ago and they said I can try again in about a month because it wasn't a full donation, so I'm definitely planning on going back soon. Was told to make sure I drink about 2 liters of water before I go on the day, as this should help. Hopefully that'll work anyway, I definitely want to become a regular donor, even if my blood type is the most common (O+).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

In was due back in on Monday but I kept forgetting to go all this week, I'll have to pop in next Monday. Hopefully my iron is ok this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Still haven't gotten around to donating :( Bad Neurotic, bad bad Neurotic...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Anyone know a way to work out when you can give blood again? Do they text you? I vaguely remember giving them my number, I should be good to donate again any day now I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,459 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

banjopaul wrote: »
    Anyone know a way to work out when you can give blood again? Do they text you? I vaguely remember giving them my number, I should be good to donate again any day now I think.

Well its every 3 months. So if ya know when the date of last donation was, then go ahead from that date up 3 months. If its not a permanent clinic, they normally only come around every 3 months to the same place, as it'd make most sense that way.

So I decided that it'd be nice to resurrect this thread, see if a few more people haven't turned 18 and are stuck for things to do. :pac: I had permission to drag it up, swears!

I was on the bus home after giving blood today, and while on the phone talking about said donation I was thinking about the stats. Thing is, roughly only 3% of the population give blood. ~25% of us will need a transfusion at some point in our lives, from what I've been told by the IBTS in the past. Doesn't really seem fair, does it? Of course, some people can't give blood for various reasons and circumstances - but many choose not to. I'm not here to rant about those who don't, because their choice isn't my business. I'd just like to play devil's advocate here and ask - do the people who are eligible to give blood, but choose not to, deserve a transfusion if they don't donate themselves (I'd like to say that I don't necessarily think this, I'm curious as to what others think!)?

Moving on from that - what about organ donations? Should you be eligible to receive an organ if you're not willing to be an organ donor yourself? Should we be automatically opted-in, with an opt-out clause that states that you're ruling yourself out from being eligible for a donation if you choose to remove yourself from the list?

Apologies if I'm not explaining myself properly, this idea is only a recent one. So what do you all think? I'll post my own opinion on it once I have one that makes sense.

If anyone has any other thoughts/opinions in general on blood/platelet/marrow/organ donation, please share! I'm considering the marrow registry (my veins are too bendy for giving platelets, apparently >_<), so if anyone knows anything about the process, I'd love to hear about it.

Oh, and if the mods want to move/split discussion or whatever, go ahead - this just seemed the most appropriate thread.

Give blood! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I can't give blood even if I was 18 because I'm under the weight limit :( Why is there a weight limit?

I can't give blood even if I was 18 because I'm under the weight limit :( Why is there a weight limit?

I'm not sure, but I'll hazard a guess at this one. Everyone donates the same, standard amount of blood - roughly a pint. It's not adjusted according to your weight etc. Also, it would be losing a larger percentage of blood for a smaller person, so a lot of side-effects could kick in - fainting, nausea, not to mention more serious ones. Not to say these don't happen to some people anyway, it'd just be more common the lighter you are, after losing a considerable amount of blood.

I'm not sure, but I'll hazard a guess at this one. Everyone donates the same, standard amount of blood - roughly a pint. It's not adjusted according to your weight etc. Also, it would be losing a larger percentage of blood for a smaller person, so a lot of side-effects could kick in - fainting, nausea, not to mention more serious ones. Not to say these don't happen to some people anyway, it'd just be more common the lighter you are, after losing a considerable amount of blood.

Better not get in any car crashes then, I'd be screwed if I lost any blood :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I was on the bus home after giving blood today, and while on the phone talking about said donation I was thinking about the stats. Thing is, roughly only 3% of the population give blood. ~25% of us will need a transfusion at some point in our lives, from what I've been told by the IBTS in the past. Doesn't really seem fair, does it? Of course, some people can't give blood for various reasons and circumstances - but many choose not to. I'm not here to rant about those who don't, because their choice isn't my business. I'd just like to play devil's advocate here and ask - do the people who are eligible to give blood, but choose not to, deserve a transfusion if they don't donate themselves (I'd like to say that I don't necessarily think this, I'm curious as to what others think!)?

That is something to think about alright, I feel quite strongly about giving blood/organ donation, I think donating blood is something everyone should do at least once. I went a while ago and a few friends came with me, I think 6 of us went, and 2 chickened out, because they were afraid of needles/just too creeped out by the idea, one person was told they were ineligible at the time and to come back, 2 of us could only give part donations, so out of 6 of us who went, only 1 completely successful donation was given. Only 2 of us have gone back since, me and the other person who did it successfully. I think even though it is completely necessary to go through all the procedures, that it does turn some people off a bit. I just do it though, I don't know why, it's just something I've always said I'll do, and when I turned 18 I did, even though I hate needles and have quite low blood pressure, I do it anyway. I've nearly fainted before, but an hour or so out of my time every few months, that could save someone elses life, why wouldn't I do it.
    Moving on from that - what about organ donations? Should you be eligible to receive an organ if you're not willing to be an organ donor yourself? Should we be automatically opted-in, with an opt-out clause that states that you're ruling yourself out from being eligible for a donation if you choose to remove yourself from the list?

I completely agree with this. I think that unless someone has major objections to their organs being donated that they should be automatically registered. My opinion on organ donation is, I'm as good as dead, I'm not using them, I may as well hopefully prolong someone elses life. I can't think of a much better last act that I'll do before I die. I understand that people don't like the idea that your heart has to still be beating to donate organs, i.e. you are technically still alive, although, it is usually when you are brain dead and have no hope of ever waking up again.

If anyone has any other thoughts/opinions in general on blood/platelet/marrow/organ donation, please share! I'm considering the marrow registry (my veins are too bendy for giving platelets, apparently >_<), so if anyone knows anything about the process, I'd love to hear about it.

They were recruiting for marrow donation registration the last time I gave blood. It all seems very extreme to me. The leaflet basically said that it's quite unlikely that you'll ever be called if you are registered. If you are though, it involves a 2 night stay in hospital and going under general anaesthtic. I decided not to register at the time, but I might put my name down in the future, it's not something I'd decide lightly on. There's more info on bone marrow donation here if anybody wants to find out more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm trying really hard to figure out what my opinion is on the whole 'should you be eligible to receive an organ if you're not willing to donate' and... I just don't know. I mean, it'd be so hard to let someone die because they didn't wanna be an organ donor, and it'd be so easy for someone to say that they would donate in order to save their own life and then change their mind afterwards.

Is it fair to place the pressure of having to donate on someone who is more than likely already going through hell with a failing organ? Or, is someone who has suffered organ failure more likely to donate anyway because they know how terrible it is to live waiting?

Should someone who has liver failure of their own doing (alcoholism etc.) be granted a new liver when it means that someone else in need through no fault of their own is left to die? Who even gets to decide this sort of thing?

My uncle has kidney failure. He's had one transplant, about twenty years ago and is in need of a second. He'll never be able to have a second transplant though. He has a level of antibodies so high that his body would immediately reject a new organ and the treatment to lower the antibodies would more than likely kill him instantly. So he's living now, on dialysis three times a week and y'know, a time will come when his body can't take it anymore and he will die. He's young, he has a young daughter. Life just isn't fair.

I've seen my uncle and his family and my own extended family go through a really tough time so I know I'd like to donate my organs. I'd donate mine 'cause I know how shit it is to be in need, and I know how much joy a donated organ can bring. One organ donation doesn't enrich one life, it makes the lives of so many people happier. There are the family of the receiver too, and an organ donation can bring years and years than otherwise would never have been possible.

I don't know where I stand on the opt in/opt out thing. I think everyone should donate their organs tbph, I don't really get why one would choose not to... but to each their own and all that.

On the subject of blood donation, I'm not eligible.

I think everyone should be automatically registered unless they write a letter saying they don't want stuff to be donated. I'd donate everything, I'm dead so I'm hardly using it.

I don't know about the unless you're a donor no organs for you thing, because a lot of people just forget to register.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Oh, I would love to do this. My mother's a nurse, and both my parents give blood regularly. I've never given blood before, so I wouldn't know what to expect but how bad could it be? I don't even know what blood type I am!

Advertisement