Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running out of novel things to do now you've turned 18? Look no further!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Oh, I would love to do this. My mother's a nurse, and both my parents give blood regularly. I've never given blood before, so I wouldn't know what to expect but how bad could it be? I don't even know what blood type I am!

Honestly, it's not too bad. On your first visit, you have to essentially "register". You complete a form (mainly yes/no ticking the box, regular donors have to complete a similar form each time anyway), then you have an interview of sorts - just confirming you're well and healthy and everything on the form, and you'll have the opportunity to ask questions etc should you wish. That interview is for first-time donors and people who haven't donated in a long while. After the interview, you then have the Haemoglobin test. Basically it's like a pin-prick to your finger, the blood is taken and put into a little machine which gives the level in a matter of minutes. For guys, you need to have a level of 14g/dL or above; it's 12g/dL for girls. :) Provided that your levels are sufficiently high (if not, you'll be asked to return in 3 months), you'll then get to the donation part. It's not too painful (just a pinch as the needle goes in, and again when it's taken out), and the donation process only takes a maximum of 15 minutes.

You get a letter out in the post with (I think) your donor card and that'll have your blood type on it - that's when you find out! :)

If you've any more questions, feel free to ask!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Y'know what's annoying? You've to be 18 to donate blood.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

jumpguy wrote: »

My dad can no longer donate blood because he just went over the age limit. He's still perfectly healthy, but they refused his application.

Actually something I heard the other week that annoyed me too. Apparently gay men, or at least men who had contact with other men, can't donate blood. A bit unfair, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

Actually something I heard the other week that annoyed me too. Apparently gay men, or at least men who had contact with other men, can't donate blood. A bit unfair, imo.

Yeah, this really annoys me too. I've only given blood twice but everytime I read the form I cringe a little. In fact, if I remeber correctly (which I may not at all) if a woman has had sex with a man who has had sex with another man, then she should not give blood either. It's completely ridiculous, I know they're just trying to cover their basses but it's just discriminatory and insulting.

I love giving blood though (not the actual needle bit obviously) it makes me feel all good, especially since I'm kinda afraid of needles so a feel really brave too.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

illiop wrote: »
    Yeah, this really annoys me too. I've only given blood twice but everytime I read the form I cringe a little. In fact, if I remeber correctly (which I may not at all) if a woman has had sex with a man who has had sex with another man, then she should not give blood either. It's completely ridiculous, I know they're just trying to cover their basses but it's just discriminatory and insulting.

I love giving blood though (not the actual needle bit obviously) it makes me feel all good, especially since I'm kinda afraid of needles so a feel really brave too.:p
    Just makes me feel woozy and trippy :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Can one donate from exactly when they turn 18 like? I've always wanted to, but I'm not 18 just yet. So yeah 18th birthday donation.. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Mollikins

I’ve wanted to donate blood for ages but living out in the shticks means it’s really hard to get to the clinic when it comes around, which isn’t all that often really.

I was going to give blood last year in college when they had the mobile clinic there for the day but I wasn’t feeling well at the time so they probably would have sent me away and told me to come back when I was better and I also had zero time as well with lectures and buses to catch and stuff.

I feel bad though because I could have donated about 7 times by now if I had gone as soon as I turned 18. I’m not a big fan of needles but at the end of the day all it means is a bit of temporary discomfort for me whereas it could be the difference between another person living or dying. Also I’m curious as to what blood type I am.

I did the little quiz on the giveblood website and from that it appears I’m eligible so I’m going to donate as soon as I get the opportunity again. No excuses.

Some of the questions Aoibheann posted made me think about aspects of blood and organ donation I wouldn’t previously have thought about really. (Btw good on you Aoibheann for being so dedicated to donating!)

It’s weird that this thread has appeared because I’ve actually been thinking about organ donation lately, although I’m not really all that sure as to why it has popped into my head. It’s something I fully intend on doing. The way I see it is: I’ll be dead (or as good as.) My organs are viable. I don’t need them anymore. Others do. Desperately. There’s no point in letting perfectly good organs die and just letting them rot in a coffin in the ground. It doesn’t make any sense to me.

Like Novella said it’s not just the life or lives of those that receive an organ through donation that benefit: It’s the entire family of the ill person that benefit from it. There’s a huge increase in the quality of life for the whole family. Days and weeks that previously would have be wasted in hospital wards, waiting, suddenly don’t have to be. Families that previously couldn’t even go for a normal day out to the zoo or shopping in town - little things we all take for granted without even realising it - can now go on holidays abroad. And those that receive an organ can, obviously, lead much more active lives. Every few weeks you open the paper and read an article about someone that received an organ and how they are relishing their new lease of life and are raising money for organisations that helped them when they were sick by running marathons, cycling all over the country and climbing mountains. They are given a second chance at life and are making the most of it. I know I would much rather see someone raising the money for charity themselves than a loved one doing it in their memory.

I’m not sure if I agree if it should be compulsory for people to donate blood/organs. I think that overall there should really be more information out there about donating. I can’t remember the last time I saw an ad on the TV about donating blood/organs and it’s not often at all that it gets any mention in other media forms either. If there were more information readily available I think there would be much more people donating blood and carrying donation cards and it wouldn’t be necessary for it to become compulsory. If the government tried to introduce it as being somewhat compulsory I’d say they would be met with a fair bit of backlash from a religion aspect as Jehovah’s Witnesses refuse blood transfusions and it has resulted in deaths and court cases that have been fairly well reported in the media.

Senator Feargal Quinn submitted a Human Body Organs ad Human Tissue Bill back in September 2008 to much the same affect although I don’t have a clue if there has been any discussion of it since then. (It’s available on oireachtas.ie and is 19 pages long if anyone is interested in reading it.)
    Then there’s the Dunne inquiry into the retention of deceased children’s organs without parents consent during post-mortems. This has left a huge negative impression on an entire generation and from hearing about it in the media the whole time a lot of people would be very cautious about organ donation because of it and I can’t really blame them either as no real answers have been provided in the inquiry as far as I can gather (parentsforjustice.com has more info on this too)

I wouldn’t really be all that comfortable with an alcoholic receiving a liver transplant before someone who was born with liver problems or developed liver problems due to other illnesses. Alcoholics have a choice in whether they drink or not and people that are born with serious medical conditions that require transplants simply don’t have a choice. (I know some people believe that alcoholism is a disease and that you can inherit it and be genetically predisposed to it etc. etc. but I’ll not get into that because I know nothing about it really and I hope I never will have to and it doesn’t have any place here anyway. At the end of the day someone born with an illness has no choice in the matter and just has to wait for a cure or a suitable organ to be found while damage to the liver caused by excessive alcohol consumption is preventable.)

I presume that those who do receive transplants have to be sober for a certain time period before they are considered eligible for a transplant and of course there should be proper after care and counselling available to prevent a relapse. In that case I don’t see why an alcoholic shouldn’t be allowed a transplant. For some people it takes hitting rock bottom and almost losing it all for them to really start living again and if an organ is available I don’t see why they should be denied it.

The same goes for people who don’t carry donation cards or donate blood. If they fall seriously ill or are involved in a life-threatening accident and there are ways of saving them then of course everything should be done to save them. Loads of people don’t think of donating blood or organs until it affects their lives directly and although it’s sad and it shouldn’t be the case, people shouldn’t be left to die when they can be saved.

Anyway I’ve waffled on far too much but I’ll finish off with some info I discovered through doing a bit of Googling:

Last Saturday (the 23rd of October) was the 12th European Day for Organ Donation and Transplantation. It is hosted every year by a different member state with the aim of encouraging debate on the topic of organ donation and transplantation and the event was held in Tbilisi in Georgia this year.

Every year World Blood Donor Day is celebrated on the 14th of June, a date that commemorates the birth of Karl Landsteiner, who discovered the ABO blood group system and won a Nobel Prize for it. Spain hosted this year’s one. WBDD was first held in 2005. It was held in Australia in 2009, Dubai in 2008, Canada in 2007, Thailand in 2006 and the UK in 2005.

In the EU alone 50,000 people are on a list waiting for an organ donation. Every day, on average, 12 people die while waiting for a transplant.

A press release on runforalife.ie states that last year 261 people received organs through donations and that there are 600 people still on waiting lists. (This was dated July this year as far as I remember)

The incidence of Cystic Fibrosis in Ireland – 2.98 per 10,000 – is the worlds highest and it affects about one in every 1,600 children born here. Lung donations are, I would imagine based on that information anyway, are badly needed too, as well as kidney ones.

Also one last thing. If you are debating whether or not you want to donate blood then do this: On the giveblood.ie website there is a Peoples’ Stories section with about 18 stories detailing each person’s experience with blood donation/transfusions etc. Scroll down to the Brice Family Story which is about fourth from the end and read it and when you have finished reading it look at the picture underneath the text. I dare you not to well up. I gets me every time and it has me convinced to donate anyway. The other stories are well worth a read too.

That ended up being way longer than I intended and I’m not sure if it makes any sense. I’m awake about 30 hours straight at this stage so apologies if the above is incoherent. :o

Aaaaaand now I’ll shut up. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I don't know about the unless you're a donor no organs for you thing, because a lot of people just forget to register.

The thing is, even if you register and have a donor card and everything, it's still the decision of your next of kin when it comes down to it. And even if you don't have a card, they can still choose to donate. The card is essentially about making your wishes known, rather than meaning your organs will automatically be donated.
    I think if you have parental consent you can do it from the age of 16 on. :) Friend of mine who only turned 18 in September has been giving blood since he was 16.

I wanna donate my organs (if they're of any use...) when I die. And I'm in favour of an "opt-out" scheme when it comes to organ donation. Not eligible to donate blood though, gragh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I gave blood for the first time on Wednesday.

It went really well, and I'm glad I did it!

I went to D'Olier Street Clinic.
    I filled out a form.
    Then went into an interview room with a nurse [this only happens first time].
    She tested my haemoglobin level - it has to be >12 to donate, mine was 15.1 so that's fine. Haven't a clue what haemoglobin is though!
    I was sent to get a cold drink beforehand, then was called to give blood.
    They attach the equipment to your arm (hurts slightly going in, otherwise is fine) and you just sit back as the blood is taken - you can't see the bag filling up, which makes sense.
    After this they made me sit on a bed. I was fine for the first few minutes, but I then started to feel very hot, flushed and light-headed. She made me lie down for a few minutes and I was fine then.
    I was sent to the café to get free sandwiches, cold drink and crisps and biscuits etc. I LOVE free stuff, and the view from there is amazing!

Overall, I would definitely give blood again. It's a lot easier than I thought. And it's quicker when it isn't your first time, apparently, as you don't have to do the interview with the nurse and that.

I would advise anyone who is eligible to give blood. I've already convinced a few of my friends to do it! Especially if you have a useful blood group, like O neg (universal donor - can be given to anyone in emergencies).

• Advertisement

She tested my haemoglobin level - it has to be >12 to donate, mine was 15.1 so that's fine. Haven't a clue what haemoglobin is though!

It's in your red blood cells! I'm pretty sure it's the part that carries around iron, ie: it transports oxygen all around your body, so I'm sure that if it was below 12 they couldn't take it out 'cos it'd probably starve you of oxygen!

Oh, Timbuk2: For a guy your Hb needs to be >14g/dl. :) It's >12g/dl for a female.

Delighted that you donated! Congrats! <3

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Oh, Timbuk2: For a guy your Hb needs to be >14g/dl. :) It's >12g/dl for a female.

Ooh - embarrassing :P

It's a great feeling when you do, I'll definitely be back when 3 months are up. I'm also curious to find out what my blood group is - I'll find out in about 4 weeks when they send the card to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I'm not sure if I'd be allowed give blood as I have a tattoo, anyone know what the policies are on that sort of thing?

Ooh - embarrassing :P

It's a great feeling when you do, I'll definitely be back when 3 months are up. I'm also curious to find out what my blood group is - I'll find out in about 4 weeks when they send the card to me!

Ah, don't worry about it, I'm just pedantic. :D

And YAY! I'm so happy you didn't mind the process! And I loved finding out my blood group: it's A-. :)
    Lawliet wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I'd be allowed give blood as I have a tattoo, anyone know what the policies are on that sort of thing?

Once it's four months after you got it, you should be fine. Otherwise, wait until four months have passed. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Once it's four months after you got it, you should be fine. Otherwise, wait until four months have passed. :)
    Thanks! I've had it for over a year so I should be safe by now :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I vant to suck your blad...*hiss *hiss. Ugh...I mean I want you to give blood.:o
    Can't believe that hadn't been done yet

Anyway, I'm too young :( BUT I there is a chance (small one but still a chance) that I'm O type so my blood shall be in high demand when I do turn 18. I must get it tested to see.

What's the weight limit?

sup_dude wrote: »
    What's the weight limit?
    Less than 50 kilograms, I'm not aware of an upper weight limit but I'm sure it'll depend on your health and other factors (for example, blood pressure).

Less than 50 kilograms, I'm not aware of an upper weight limit but I'm sure it'll depend on your health and other factors (for example, blood pressure).

They didn't take my weight or blood pressure. I know they stopped taking blood pressure as it has recently been determined that high blood pressure doesn't actually make you ineligible for blood donation, once it doesn't cause health problems (or something along those lines!)

They didn't take my weight or blood pressure. I know they stopped taking blood pressure as it has recently been determined that high blood pressure doesn't actually make you ineligible for blood donation, once it doesn't cause health problems (or something along those lines!)
    Ah right, it's changed so then, my father couldn't donate blood one time due to blood pressure or something...I could've sworn...

• Advertisement

Ah right, it's changed so then, my father couldn't donate blood one time due to blood pressure or something...I could've sworn...

It definitely has changed recently - I read about it in the information there - how they let people 'slip through the net' in the past because of high blood pressure, who in fact would have been eligible to give blood.

It definitely has changed recently - I read about it in the information there - how they let people 'slip through the net' in the past because of high blood pressure, who in fact would have been eligible to give blood.

Hmm I've got an irregular blood pressure! I'm unsure on what it is but anytime it gets took it varies from normal>low>high. :pac: I hope it doesn't interfere with me doing it!

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Hmm I've got an irregular blood pressure! I'm unsure on what it is but anytime it gets took it varies from normal>low>high. :pac: I hope it doesn't interfere with me doing it!

I'm unsure. But as I said, they didn't actually measure my blood pressure. There was probably one of the questions concerning medical history, but if blood pressure hasn't caused you problems in the past, then it should be ok.

Of course, talking to a nurse or doctor beforehand is a better option.

I'm unsure. But as I said, they didn't actually measure my blood pressure. There was probably one of the questions concerning medical history, but if blood pressure hasn't caused you problems in the past, then it should be ok.

Of course, talking to a nurse or doctor beforehand is a better option.

True, true! I'll ask my doctor about it sure! :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

50 kg, you say? I've got plenty to spare then! :p

Really must get around to this some time. My little sister gave blood about a week after her 18th birthday. Makes me feel guilty for not having done it in the four years I've been eligible :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I'm O positive, so fairly useful :P I'm going to drag some friends in the next time it comes into the college (Or more likely, they'll drag me in, I'm a needle chicken :P). The Current Blood Supply is quite scary though :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I tried to give blood last Decemeber, but I was recommended not to because my blood pressure is quite low. I said it to the nurse that was there, so she took my blood pressure and told me that I'd be all but guaranteed of fainting if I gave blood so I couldn't :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

They got rid of the blood pressure thing because they found that when people would get it tested it would come out higher than usual because a lot of the time they were nervous. So unless you know you have really high or low blood pressure most people are ok.

I have slightly low blood pressure myself but can still donate, I just get quite light headed after and need to sit down a bit longer but I'm usually grand :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I asked my Doctor about donating blood recently, and was strongly advised not to because my blood pressure's incredibly low and I'm fairly anemic, not a great oul' combination.

I had to get a few mls of blood taken recently and was foooked for ages. But I'll give blood... when I'm healthier... someday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I can't give blood for a blerg reason. Born in England, moved here when I was four, perfectly healthy and yet my foreign blood is unwanted. Blerg!

Advertisement