Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running out of novel things to do now you've turned 18? Look no further!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

The first time isn't any worse, per se, as other times - it just takes longer because (a) the form you fill out is more detailed and (b) you have to have an interview with a nurse, who basically asks the questions you were asked on the form. Then they test your iron levels (which happens every time anyway) by pricking a finger (it doesn't hurt).

They'll put you on a bed/chair thing, then they'll start taking the blood (this takes about 5 minutes, you can't see any blood while it's happening). Once you're done, they might put you sitting on another bed for about 5 minutes before they direct you to refreshments (usually can of pepsi, biscuits and crisps, etc.) - as it's your first time, they'll only let you drink cold drinks afterwards - no tea or coffee!

Best of luck with it :)

Just on the time. That can really depend, mine usually takes about 20 minutes, because my blood is slow. It always gets commented on, but the more you drink, the warmer you are, the faster it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Quick question guys... A friend of mine is giving blood later and I was thinking of joining him. However I'm on penicillin so I'm assuming I can't.. anyone know what the story is with this?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Duffy, this is too late but there's nothing written about penicillin on this page http://www.giveblood.ie/Become_a_Donor/Give_Blood/FAQs/ , but it does say for medication to ring them.

I'd imagine that you'd be deferred until you're off penicillin though!

With regard to giving platelets, is there more benefit to giving platelets instead of giving blood? You can't give both - you have to be a dedicated platelets donor, or a dedicated blood donor, right? Are platelets more in demand than blood (I'm O+, which is common for blood but I think it's the equivalent of AB- for platelets - can receive from anybody, but can only give to fellow AB-)?
    I read on After Hours a while ago that a platelet donation counts as two blood donations, and as you can give platelets every 28 days instead of every 90 days, you could rack up a serious amount of 'donations' very quickly by giving platelets :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

From here:
    Antibiotics - I am taking antibiotics. Can I give blood?

If you are taking antibiotics for an infection:

No, you cannot give blood today. You must be fully recovered for at least 2 weeks before you can give blood. You must also have finished your course of antibiotics at least 1 week before giving blood.

If you are taking antibiotics for acne:

Yes, you can give blood if you are taking tetracycline or erythromycin for acne.

If you are taking antibiotics to prevent an infection:

No, you cannot give blood if you are prone to infections and you are taking antibiotics on a continuous basis, to prevent infection.

Hope that helps! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I used be on heart tablets (They were some kinda blood thing) and I got high BP from them, but I don't have it anymore.. would that affect me being able to give blood?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    I used be on heart tablets (They were some kinda blood thing) and I got high BP from them, but I don't have it anymore.. would that affect me being able to give blood?

Again, you should probably ring them. But they don't measure your blood pressure (they used to, they don't anymore) so people with high blood pressure can still donate!

Again, you should probably ring them. But they don't measure your blood pressure (they used to, they don't anymore) so people with high blood pressure can still donate!

Oh no, I was more worried about the taking heart tablets bit! :o My BP is normal now, just the tablets shoved it up a good bit! Im'a check when the next one's in Waterford and I'll go.. :)

How long does it take to find out your blood type?

Edit: Just checked, they're not here until the 23 of May.. :(

23rd of May isn't that far away!

They'll tell you in the clinic, but if you ring the number that's in the link I put in the post replying to Duffy's question they'll be able to tell you! I don't think it'll be a problem though.

You find out your blood type about 2 weeks after you give blood, if I remember correctly! You get a card posted out to you, and it has your blood type on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I've noticed it doesn't really say anything about other drugs.
    Closest is "Please call us at <number> to discuss your specific issue with medication".

Is there some list somewhere of what would and wouldn't affect the donation, and maybe how long you have to wait after being on it?
    Google seems to be failing me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I've variant CJD, what's that then?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I've variant CJD, what's that then?

That's...

not very funny.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I tried this tonight!

All was going well for a few minutes, until the nurse thought I was looking hot and clammy. I felt pretty much normal, but they insisted on stopping anyway. Elevated legs, cold damp cloth on my forehead, the whole shebang.

Can't go back for three months, even though it wasn't a full donation. Oh well! I tried anyway. And I hate needles, but even the needle part didn't bother me. I'll be going back again as soon as I'm allowed. :)

I tried this tonight!

All was going well for a few minutes, until the nurse thought I was looking hot and clammy. I felt pretty much normal, but they insisted on stopping anyway. Elevated legs, cold damp cloth on my forehead, the whole shebang.

Can't go back for three months, even though it wasn't a full donation. Oh well! I tried anyway. And I hate needles, but even the needle part didn't bother me. I'll be going back again as soon as I'm allowed. :)

At least you tried, so many people don't bother. The first time I went I didn't give a whole donation and they let me try again in less than three months. Strange.

I'm terrified of needles myself, I just look away and it's grand. I used to be so bad with them that I may have kicked my doctor as a child trying to escape :P

kateos2 wrote: »
    I'm terrified of needles myself, I just look away and it's grand. I used to be so bad with them that I may have kicked my doctor as a child trying to escape :P

Haha, I don't think I was ever that bad! :D I had to get a general anaesthetic the week before my fourth birthday. They snuck up behind me and jabbed me without warning. :( Took me years to get over that! :o

Haha, I don't think I was ever that bad! :D I had to get a general anaesthetic the week before my fourth birthday. They snuck up behind me and jabbed me without warning. :( Took me years to get over that! :o

That's what my doctor did, gave me an injection in my áss, needless to say my leg swung back and caught him in a slightly painful place. :P

Injections in the ass, I remember those days when I was young!

Nevermind the 16 gauge needle they use for blood donations, I don't like the part where they prick your finger beforehand - I think it's worse than the actual needle part. It's just a little orange thing they put on your finger and then FADUMPHHH it releases and pricks the finger. It's not actually sore, just sudden!

It took me 5 mins and 27 seconds to give 1 pint last week, which she said was good going (and serves her right for saying my veins weren't great beforehand :p).

Injections in the ass, I remember those days when I was young!

Nevermind the 16 gauge needle they use for blood donations, I don't like the part where they prick your finger beforehand - I think it's worse than the actual needle part. It's just a little orange thing they put on your finger and then FADUMPHHH it releases and pricks the finger. It's not actually sore, just sudden!

It took me 5 mins and 27 seconds to give 1 pint last week, which she said was good going (and serves her right for saying my veins weren't great beforehand :p).

I always find the finger prick or the taking out the needle the worst tbh. Getting it put in isn't too bad. None of it's really painful, just uncomfortable really.

Wow that's fast, the last time it took me about 10 minutes and that was quick for me, it usually takes me at least 15 minutes. I have slow blood.

Yea it is fast enough, but she spent ages finding a vein (which wasn't a problem last time). She kept muttering worrying things like "there should be two" and rolling her fingers around my elbow. But in her words, "it took a while to find one but I made sure it was a good one" :P

The first time they had no problem, the second time they couldn't notice them easily in my right arm, this time they had difficulty finding one in my left arm. The next time I'm worried I'll have no veins or something!

But I had an exam beforehand and had been drinking water loads, and I think drinking water helps!

The first time I ever gave blood, I felt fairly dizzy afterwards. Subsequent times, I feel no different afterwards than beforehand. I always feel really thirsty afterwards though, I assume as it dehydrates you.

I've convinced a couple of my friends to go next week. Hopefully they do, as I've never actually convinced anyone to give blood - I hear lots of excuses though :P

Yeah I nearly fainted the first two times I did, I'd drank about 2 litres of water. The last two times I drank three and it was quicker than before and I felt fine afterwards. It really makes a huge difference.

I try to convince my friends but none of them ever actually go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I went about... 3 months ago (ding ding ding!) ;)

Apparently my blood flow is crap, because I couldn't fill the bag, and the machine was beeping like crazy :pac:

Nurse said she'd try the other arm next time. YEAH, WELL I FAKED ONE, TOO

:(

I'll fill 2 bags next time. You'll see!

• Advertisement

Those modern medical machines will beep over nothing. My mother is a nurse and she says they have gotten new drip counter things into the hospital which are a an absolute pain, because you have to spend ages setting the drip flow and everything, and if the patient moves their arm too much, or something insignificant, they will start beeping very loudly, whereas the older ones just worked.

I actually noticed last week when I was giving blood that they fill up two tester small samples of blood (presumably to test it for HIV and that so they know the big sample is ok). I haven't a notion how they do this yet only need to put in a needle once!

Also, when Chuck Norris goes to donate blood, he declines the syringe, and instead requests a hand gun and a bucket (heard it the other day and laughed :P )

Oh the machine spends the whole time beeping at me. It beat me the first time, but no more. I have to squeeze the bone the whole time (that sounds like some strange metaphor)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I actually noticed last week when I was giving blood that they fill up two tester small samples of blood (presumably to test it for HIV and that so they know the big sample is ok). I haven't a notion how they do this yet only need to put in a needle once!

You can replace the "cylinder" part of a syringe and just stick it on top of the same "needle" bit :)

Another vaccination tomorrow. Then 6 weeks until I'm allowed attempt to give blood. I'll eventually do it!

Just saw on the give blood Facebook page that O+ and O- supplies are at less than 5 days supply. So if anyone in carndonagh, Cavan, Carlow, macroom, Pallasgreen, St. Finbarrs cork, stillorgan and d'olier street is eligible and has some spare time you should really try and get out and do it. It's only an hour and could save someone's life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

They really should make a permanent clinic in Galway imo. It's a pain in the ass trying to go to a clinic:
    A. When it's at home in Tuam on a Tues-Thurs when I'm in college in Sligo
    B. When it's up in Sligo during the weekend when I'm at home

Do you want my blood or not? :p

So like.. does giving blood hurt? :P

I've had blood taken before, is it the same as that? Cos it's gonna be here in 4 days so I'm gonna go, but I fair wanna be prepared for if it's gonna hurt or not! :P

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    So like.. does giving blood hurt? :P

I've had blood taken before, is it the same as that? Cos it's gonna be here in 4 days so I'm gonna go, but I fair wanna be prepared for if it's gonna hurt or not! :P

Nah it's grand. It's just like when you get blood tests. Just a prick of your finger and a slight pinch. Nothing to worry about. Just make sure you've eaten within 3 hours before and drink loads of water :)

No it doesn't hurt! Slight pinch but it's fine - if you've had blood taken before then it's just like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I finally got round to donating blood and they wouldn't take it; my haemoglobin count was too low.

• Advertisement

Oh I forgot to ask.. do I bring ID with me or something? :o

Advertisement