Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running out of novel things to do now you've turned 18? Look no further!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭KingFling

First time is a bit daunting and takes a while but well worth it. Loads of free snacks as well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

And pens, don't forget about the pens!
    I got a thing for my phone last time.

Noel I can't remember if you do or not. I'd bring it though just in case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Leeg17 wrote: »
    They really should make a permanent clinic in Galway imo. It's a pain in the ass trying to go to a clinic:
    A. When it's at home in Tuam on a Tues-Thurs when I'm in college in Sligo
    B. When it's up in Sligo during the weekend when I'm at home

They really really should, theres one in Knocknacarra that only comes around every so often (I think) and then the Sláinte Society in NUIG had one in March but even if they had one every few weeks in the college they should get a good few people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I got over my chronic fear and went a while back but they turned me away twice because of low iron, now I can't make myself go back =/

And I know it's silly, but I was really sick when I was little. I had memingitus when I was three and it was needle anfter needle. I even hate when people touch the inside of my arm near the elbow =/

Anyone any advice??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I got over my chronic fear and went a while back but they turned me away twice because of low iron, now I can't make myself go back =/

And I know it's silly, but I was really sick when I was little. I had memingitus when I was three and it was needle anfter needle. I even hate when people touch the inside of my arm near the elbow =/

Anyone any advice??

I hate needles too. I've had to get over them due to my course, but I still hate the thoughts of having an injection or blood taken. I fainted the last time I got one :o

My dad has to take valium if hes getting anything with needles but that might be too drastic (or not allowed?) for taking blood. I'd say try and relax as much as possible, bring something to take your mind off it like a friend or listen to music, and if you can't bear the thoughts of doing it, maybe wait a few years and see if things get any better :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I don't mind needles in the slightest. I inject myself 5 times a day. I really want to give blood. I've had blood taken from me a hundred (possibly over a thousand) times, and take blood from myself literally 4 times a day. And they won't let me give blood, because allegedly there is a tiny bit more of a chance that I will faint during the procedure, because I am diabetic. Arseholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I don't mind needles in the slightest. I inject myself 5 times a day. I really want to give blood. I've had blood taken from me a hundred (possibly over a thousand) times, and take blood from myself literally 4 times a day. And they won't let me give blood, because allegedly there is a tiny bit more of a chance that I will faint during the procedure, because I am diabetic. Arseholes.
    That is actually really strange. :confused: Would losing a lot of blood not create a dangerous change in blood sugar levels though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

jumpguy wrote: »
    That is actually really strange. :confused: Would losing a lot of blood not create a dangerous change in blood sugar levels though?
    I've heard of diabetics donating blood in other countries so I wouldn't think it'd be that dangerous, they must just have stricter regulations here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

The regulations on insulin-dependent diabetics donating blood seem to vary from country to country - seems you can in the States (well, some of them anyway), Australia, among others. You may be eligible to donate in the UK if it's tablet-controlled diabetes, but it mentions nothing of injecting. :/

EuropeanSon, I can understand how frustrating it must be as my sister's in the same boat - in fact, as she was only diagnosed with Type I diabetes some years ago, she had previously been eligible to donate and was doing so as often as possible up until her diagnosis. And so many people are too frightened of needles to give blood, yet you guys are pretty much fearless in that regard at this point, and you can't donate. :(

The regulations really, really need fixing because they currently exclude an awful lot of people who would be perfectly good donors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

jumpguy wrote: »

I wouldn't imagine so. Even if it did, I could just plough through a few dozen of the little chocolate bars they have around in the blood donor clinic, and all would be well.

• Advertisement

Did anyone else volunteer for the world blood donor day photoshoot thing that's happening tonight? Heading in for it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

I went to give blood for the first time about a week ago.After filling out the form and doing the intervieww I was told that I couldn't give blood because I had an anaphylactic(allergic) reaction a few months back.Anyone who has ever had an allergic reaction and has an epipen or anapen can't give blood,ever.I would really like to give blood but I was told that it wolud be safer for both myself and the recipient if I didn't,so I can't donate.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thought I'd bump this as a lot of people are moving to cities for college, so it might be that bit easier to get to blood clinics! See www.giveblood.ie to see if you're eligible and where to give blood!

I got a phone call today from the blood clinic asking could I give blood on the week of the 5th of September, as they'll need my type (O+) and because I'm able to give to babies (this is called something but I couldn't properly hear what she said!). It's good to be reminded that the blood you give is actually going towards saving a life. Although it's odd that she said the week of the 5th (as opposed to tomorrow, or next week) - I wonder if she's trying to fill some quota :p

Oh well, I'll be in Dublin then anyway so it suits perfectly, I'll drag my brother along (this will be our 4th donation [2 litres] for both of us) and a friend of mine is coming along as well for his first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

OMG.. I can't give blood here 'cause I used live up north but now I'm moving to Scotland I can! :D Have to wait 'till March because you have to wait 12 months after getting a tattoo but still..!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I was due to donate again this month, but with my thesis being due tomorrow I was told to wait until I was under less stress! :p

So I'll try my best to get to the local hotel next time they host a donation clinic.

Ciara, it's only 4 months for tattoos and piercings AFAIK. I'm eligible to donate again I think they might actually be coming here next week. I must check it out. I think it'll be either my 5th or 6th, I forget. It'd be handy if they gave you a loyalty card type thing that they stamped every time you went...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Ciara, it's only 4 months for tattoos and piercings AFAIK. I'm eligible to donate again I think they might actually be coming here next week. I must check it out. I think it'll be either my 5th or 6th, I forget. It'd be handy if they gave you a loyalty card type thing that they stamped every time you went...

It's a year in the UK! :( But that's still better than me not being able to donate here at all! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I was due to donate again this month, but with my thesis being due tomorrow I was told to wait until I was under less stress! :p

So I'll try my best to get to the local hotel next time they host a donation clinic.
    27th of September down in Castletroy? That's gonna be my first time donating blood, might see you there :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Cydoniac wrote: »
    27th of September down in Castletroy? That's gonna be my first time donating blood, might see you there :)

The Green Hills on the Ennis Road is where I'd be going, if they're doing a clinic in September. I'll post here when I know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

The Green Hills on the Ennis Road is where I'd be going, if they're doing a clinic in September. I'll post here when I know for sure.
    Thanks IO, I haven't donated before and I want to, but the last time there was a clinic in college I was just after getting a piercing, so I'll definitely be going this time!

• Advertisement

I just realised I mentioned the world blood donor day thing but never posted the photos from it.

Third row from the front, second umbrella in from the right is me :cool:
    248255_10150219647734932_62016599931_6874127_3527093_n.jpg

251050_10150216382704932_62016599931_6836070_2395042_n.jpg

Bump.

I just got a text from the IBTS saying the O+ blood supplies are low, and asking me to attend my nearest clinic. I just checked the website and the supplies are at 4 days. O+ is the most common blood type in Ireland (47% of people), so please anyone who can get to a clinic please try. You've no idea how much of a difference an hour of your time could make to someone else's life.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Giving a neonatal blood donation today :) Not fully sure what it is though, I think it's just one normal donation split into smaller amounts for babies, but I got a phonecall about it two weeks ago asking could I come in this week to do it, because I'm the right type or something (I think with neonatal blood transfusions, the blood needs to be Group O and there's a few other conditions to satisfy as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SoTek72

This is probably a stupid question but...

Do they accept all blood types or is it just the ones in low supply at the moment ? :o

SoTek72 wrote: »

Do they accept all blood types or is it just the ones in low supply at the moment ? :o

They'll accept all blood types. But if you know your type you can check the supply of it on the website and if there's a lot you might be best off waiting a week or so until it's lower. Alternatively you could ask them on their Facebook page. They're generally very helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

SoTek72 wrote: »

They accept all, but sometimes if you have a really rare blood group they wont take blood from you on the day, but keep you on call in case its needed in an emergency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

Do you need to know your blood type before you go in? I'm not 100% on mine.... but I know I'd be eligible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Do you need to know your blood type before you go in? I'm not 100% on mine.... but I know I'd be eligible.

Nope! They do a check first and then take a proper blood donation afaik! I'm going in next week for my first go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Looking forward to doing this, hope my blood goes to good use out there as well :)

• Advertisement

You don't need to know your blood type, and even if you do know it, they won't ask you - they'll send you out a card in the post which says your blood type on it.

And they accept all blood types, as blood doesn't last that long so they nearly always need all types. I was a bit annoyed when I found out I was O+ because I thought nearly everyone was O+ so they wouldn't really need me, but as O+ is so common, that blood supply is in constant demand. With rarer blood types (e.g. AB-) there aren't that many blood donors with that type, so that is in demand too! O- is the universal donor, as it can be given to anyone in an emergency (although this happens less commonly these days, as research has shown there's less chance of reaction in the recipient if you use their actual blood type).

The blood donation went really well today. For anyone in college in Dublin there's a permanent clinic on D'Olier street (beside Trinity college and Westmoreland Street) and the staff are lovely in there!

Advertisement