Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running out of novel things to do now you've turned 18? Look no further!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Saw this thread today and was a bit bored, so I went in to give blood today. Went to the clinic on D'Olier street, and the staff there couldn't be friendlier. Basically I was given a sheet to fill in and a short folder to read through. They then took a reading for my iron levels to see if everything was grand, and sent me for something quick to eat and drink beforehand. Then they sat me down on a bed and took my blood - didn't take long at all and there is no pain whatsoever! Afterwards they made me take a quick lie down as it was my first time and once again sent me for something to eat.

Would seriously recommend to anyone to do it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Glad to hear you got on well, Bottleopener! You weren't there at the same time as me and my brother, by any chance - between 12.10 and 1.00?

After the first time it gets easier - you don't need to go through the form with the nurse, and the form is shorter for subsequent times. also you feel less dizzy afterwards (some people don't feel lightheaded at all, I usually do a bit, especially on my 1st and 4th times)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

If I head into Dublin from Maynooth would it be hard to find the clinic/do you make an appointment? It's not in Kildare 'til the end of this month now and I'd like to get started already! :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I'm a firm believer that the dizziness has to do with how much water you've drank before/how fast your donation is. I always find when I've drank less water, my donation takes longer and I feel dizzier. But then when I've drank loads (at least three litres) I'm usually fine. That could just be me though, I've kind of low blood pressure so I really have to make sure to drink a lot and would usually eat just before my donation to try and help it as much as possible.

I think my last one was my sixth donation, could be my seventh. Is there anyway you can check?

Glad to hear you got on well, Bottleopener! You weren't there at the same time as me and my brother, by any chance - between 12.10 and 1.00?

Ah, I must've just missed you :P, got there around 1.30.

@Noel, the clinic is very easy to find, and you don't need to make an appointment at all! It's located on D'Olier street, and it's right next to O'Connell bridge pretty much :). There's a big sign over the door which says blood donor clinic. You just go in, say you want to give blood and there's no hassle whatsoever :). As for getting there from Maynooth, it's only around a 5 minute walk from Connolly station if you get the train into town.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Kate, yea I definitely think it has to do with how much water you drink. I haven't drank that much today or yesterday evening and felt dizzy, whereas the last two times it was fine. Also the nurse said my veins would be more noticeable if I drank more water beforehand!
    As for finding out how many times you have donated, you could try going through this thread to see if you mentioned "This is my 4th donation" or something similar. Or you could ring them them and ask them, they'd have that information on the computer!

Noel, the clinic isn't difficult to find. If you imagine yourself standing on O'connell bridge and are looking south (away from the spire), there are two roads ahead of you that sort of diverge, with a large building in the middle. This large building is where the blood clinic is. The entrance is on the road straight that diverges slightly to the left (called D'Olier street). You will be walking in the same direction as traffic. The road straight ahead of you that diverges to the right is Westmoreland street, where traffic will be against you.

If you're getting the train, go to Tara Street if you can - it's about a 2/3 minute walk from the blood clinic. Pearse or Connolly aren't that far either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

No clinic in Galway city til October 4th. *puts reminder on phone*

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭polkabunny

I'm in Dublin next Tuesday, wouldn't mind going to D'Olier Street and donating (for the first time, haha)... Only problem, I've had tonsilitus non stop for the last year, would they still let me donate?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    If I head into Dublin from Maynooth would it be hard to find the clinic/do you make an appointment? It's not in Kildare 'til the end of this month now and I'd like to get started already! :/
    Well if you wait for the Maynooth clinic you'll be "in sync" with them for when they roll into town again, cos I know you have to wait a certain time period for them to take blood again.

The Maynooth clinic is usually crazy busy though, during the college year at least. I went over one evening and must've waited at least 90 minutes to be seen. Maybe they were just short-staffed that day, because I've gotten through quicker, but I know that my dad has had to wait a while a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

polkabunny wrote: »
    I'm in Dublin next Tuesday, wouldn't mind going to D'Olier Street and donating (for the first time, haha)... Only problem, I've had tonsilitus non stop for the last year, would they still let me donate?

Probably not to be honest. You usually have to wait a week after your symptoms have gone or a week after anti-biotics before you can donate as far as I know.

I understand their logic on that one, if someone's receiving a blood transfusion they're going to be pretty sick already and they can't really risk giving them blood that may contain more infections. Also if you're sick I would assume there's a higher chance of you having a bad reaction to donating than if you were healthy. It's all about minimising risks.

I could be completely wrong though so I'd say ring them up and ask to double check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

No clinic in Galway city til October 4th. *puts reminder on phone*

Wheres that on? I must make sure to go.

Wheres that on? I must make sure to go.
    Clinic is in Bailey Allen Hall the 4th and 5th October from 12pm to 3.30pm

http://www.giveblood.ie/Where_to_Give_Blood/Tuam_Centre/Galway/National_University_Of_Ireland_Galway05Oct.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Clinic is in Bailey Allen Hall the 4th and 5th October from 12pm to 3.30pm

http://www.giveblood.ie/Where_to_Give_Blood/Tuam_Centre/Galway/National_University_Of_Ireland_Galway05Oct.html

Please Health Clinic, no more calls about vaccinations, every time the opportunity arises to give blood I'm in the middle of the 8 week wait after vaccines!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I got a letter from the Irish Blood Transfusion Service today to let me know about my next local clinic. It's coming up on Wednesday. The same day as my jujitsu grading. >_< Guess I'll be waiting another while for my next donation then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Hopefully going on the 27th in Castletroy, I'm a bit nervous but I'm sure it will be fine. I just hope they do it after 6 O Clock though...

Edit: 6-9PM. Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭polkabunny

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Probably not to be honest. You usually have to wait a week after your symptoms have gone or a week after anti-biotics before you can donate as far as I know.

I understand their logic on that one, if someone's receiving a blood transfusion they're going to be pretty sick already and they can't really risk giving them blood that may contain more infections. Also if you're sick I would assume there's a higher chance of you having a bad reaction to donating than if you were healthy. It's all about minimising risks.

I could be completely wrong though so I'd say ring them up and ask to double check.

Thanks, that's fair enough I suppose! It'll be few months until I donate then, but still, better to wait it out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Just gave blood tonight in Limerick. Cheers OP for the idea :)

May as well say how it went. Waited for a long time because there were a load of people there, way more than I originally thought. bring something to keep you occupied! Went through registration and stuff. When I got onto the bed I was a bit nervous, not knowing what to expect, but putting the tube in was literally only a small pinch, I thought it was going to be way worse. Was weird seeing the blood come out of my arm! All of the nurses and doctors were very nice and supportive, and you're free to take drinks and snacks incase you feel ill or dizzy. Fortunately, I felt nothing, came out of it fine! Glad I did it, will probably go back now in 90 days!

Just got my card with my blood type on it today, it's O- apparently. Universal donor ftw!

Lads, is there some restriction on donating blood if you're just getting over a cold? Am a bit clogged up in the nose, clearing now, but will i be able to give blood next week? Clinic is on 4th and 5th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Lads, is there some restriction on donating blood if you're just getting over a cold? Am a bit clogged up in the nose, clearing now, but will i be able to give blood next week? Clinic is on 4th and 5th.

From the website FAQ page:
    Colds - I have a cold. Can I give blood?
    No, you will not be accepted until you have recovered and are feeling well.

So once you've fully recovered, you should be fine. I'd suggest calling them on 1850 731 137 to double-check. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Aoibheann :) i'm not going forking out 26c/min for a 1850 number though :P the donation clinic's on campus next week so it's not out of my way :)

Ah well then, you may as well just pop in! You should be grand if you're pretty much over it now like. It's great that you still want to do it, so many people find the flimsiest excuses like! :p

I couldn't donate for the last year due to illness in all fairness now :P My brother's been nagging me for ages to do it. Might finally get him off my back :P

Illness is acceptable though! *nods* Laziness is not, however.. ¬_¬

oh yes laziness is a horrible excuse...

>_>

<_<

A lot of people here are of college-age.

The IBTS will be in UCD and NUIG this week.

UCD:
    Tuesday 4th October - Friday 7th October
    11.30am - 3.00pm
    Astra Hall, Student Centre.

NUIG:
    Tuesday 4th October, Wednesday 5th October
    12.00pm - 3.30pm
    Bailey Allen Hall.

For those in Galway, if you can't make Tuesday or Wednesday, they'll be in the Claregalway Hotel on Thursday 6th from 5.00pm-8.30pm, but that's probably a bit too far out!

Please donate, the IBTS need college students to donate, as donors are always in very short supply, and college students replace those regular donors who get too old to donate!

Still have a bit of a headcold so won't be donating this week :(

I'm so annoyed. Went to the blood clinic today. Waited for 3 hours before the interview, didn't mind the wait too much, could have been more organised but they were very busy.

Got through the interview, iron test (surprisingly high enough, woo!) and then got put on a bed for about half an hour before a nurse came over. She spent a while checking my veins, usually getting blood taken in the doctor they kinda stare and mutter for a while but in the end its fine. She wasn't too happy so called another nurse over.

After a lot of poking, they both decided that my veins were very thin and weak and it was very inadvisable to donate today :( I figured that it was just something that could happen on the day, but when I asked her if I could try again in a few weeks or so she didn't seem to optimistic and said maybe I could see...in 2 years!! :(:(

4 hours and a very painful iron test prick thing later...and no blood :(

Aw that's awful Queenie, sorry to hear you didn't get on well!

But it's the thought that counts! Try again (if you don't feel disheartened and put off by the experience today) in a few months time, make sure to drink lots and lots of water beforehand, and see what they say!

• Advertisement

Aw that's awful Queenie, sorry to hear you didn't get on well!

But it's the thought that counts! Try again (if you don't feel disheartened and put off by the experience today) in a few months time, make sure to drink lots and lots of water beforehand, and see what they say!

Oh no I'm not put off about it at all, I hate needles but I'm used to them so it wasn't any more horrific than normal vaccines or blood tests. The staff were brilliant and you do feel great about what you're doing (until you're told you can't :pac:) so I would advise anyone to go :)

I drank at least 3 litres of water before I went in, so they said that unfortunately nothing else could have been done. They didn't seem too hopeful about me being able to do it next time, but I'm going to go back in a year maybe and see. They said just to go straight to a nurse to check my arms before any of the waiting around so that its not a waste of time.

It was just quite upsetting to finally be eligible to do it and then find out I'm useless! :(

Advertisement