Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

teachers missed a week what about a week in june

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭straricco

#15 wrote: »
    So you want your children in school more, not for educational reasons, but to save you on childcare? Come on. I have sympathy for your position but its not the job of the state to look after your children.
    I find that kids, especially smaller kids, need the break from school because they get so tired towards the end of each term.

I want my child in school every day during term time. The educational part is separate to my arguement, don't be so petty as to suggest I put more value on money than her education. And it may not be the job of the state to look after my child, but it is the job of the teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

It's the job of the teachers to look after your child's education. It's not in fact their job to look after your child. They're not childminders.
    From speaking to a secondary school teacher, I believe they've been told they've to make up the days later in the year. Probably at the school's discretion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

dan_d wrote: »
    It's the job of the teachers to look after your child's education. It's not in fact their job to look after your child. They're not childminders.

Yes they are. When a child is in their care, they act in loco parentis. They have a duty to care for much more than the child's education. Its not their primary role for sure, but it is part of their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

dvpower wrote: »
    Yes they are. When a child is in their care, they act in loco parentis. They have a duty to care for much more than the child's education. Its not their primary role for sure, but it is part of their job.

When a child is in their care.

Schools cannot open just to make life more convenient for parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

straricco wrote: »
    I want my child in school every day during term time. The educational part is separate to my arguement, don't be so petty as to suggest I put more value on money than her education. And it may not be the job of the state to look after my child, but it is the job of the teachers.

It is not the job of teachers to look after your child.

It is their job to look after your child when she is in school.

That does not mean that schools should open just for parents who are struggling with childcare, as that is not the purpose of schools. They are not there to provide relief from childcare costs.

Apologies if it seemed like I suggested you value money more than your child, but I really don't see how you got that from my post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement