Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas heating problem

• 10-01-2010 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭

Turned on gas central heating after not using it for a couple of days and it didn't start.
    It showed an F 1 code.
    Tried resetting it with the Reset button but it comes up with the F 1 code again.
    Still won't start.
    It's no more than 2 years old, and the system was serviced in Nov '09.

Is there any common or garden reason why this would happen?
    Any connection with the cold weather?

I don't *think* there are any frozen water pipes, and I don't even know if that's relevant to gas heating. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

If its a condensing boiler, your condense pipe is probably frozen. its usually a white pipe outside running to a drain, if there is a horizontal run where the water could sit, it will freeze. it would usually work fine until the temperature drops this low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

GopErthike wrote: »
    If its a condensing boiler, your condense pipe is probably frozen. its usually a white pipe outside running to a drain, if there is a horizontal run where the water could sit, it will freeze. it would usually work fine until the temperature drops this low.
    Alright, no panic, so.
    Yes, it's a condensing boiler but I think the horizontal bit is within the wall and even then, not completely horizontal. I seem to remember some conversation with the installation guys about that. :rolleyes:
    The part of the pipe actually outside the wall and vertical, is maybe 10 or 12 feet.

Thanks!

Make, model?

gary71 wrote: »
    Make, model?
    It's a Flexicom Glow-worm 24hx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Make, model?

Glowworm combi perhaps. Famous for the F1 Code. but we will see.

• Advertisement

I would go with earlier advise, have a look at the manual http://www.glow-worm.co.uk/products/pdf/current/HX-0020057279.pdf
    identify the condense pipe and make sure it's not frozen anywhere, these pipes tend to be to small for purpose, Gary.

I would go with earlier advise, have a look at the manual http://www.glow-worm.co.uk/products/pdf/current/HX-0020057279.pdf
    identify the condense pipe and make sure it's not frozen anywhere, these pipes tend to be to small for purpose, Gary.
    Yah, have the manual here in front of me and the little instruction booklet and it seems the most likely cause of the problem is the condensate pipe being frozen.
    I can only access the part of the pipe that's outside the house. The manual suggests "warm cloths" to unfreeze it, would it be safe to pour luke-warm water along the pipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

F1 on a flexicom is flame failure, probably caused by the condense tray full of water, you could use hot water to try and defrost it, but its unlikely to have frozen anywhere but on a horizontal run or bend. could be the piece coming through the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

condense is frozen, underneath the boiler on the left (as you look at the boiler) disconnect the grey hose from the white pipe. place a bucket/pot under the grey hose. leave it disconnected until we have a thaw maybe 3/4 days then reconnect it. warm clothes or hot water is pointless as it wil just re-freeze. you wil have to empty the bucket every so often.

Advice much appreciated, thanks everyone. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭jonny_b1

Hi,I've been trying in vain to find the valve to re-fill my boiler due to low pressure.(a rad is leaking and need heat until we get it fixed) Been in the hot-press but only found red handled valves and another valve with a pressure gauge on it with a screw type tap on it.I read on boards about a 90 deg handle to turn to pressurize it but I cant find it.

I wondered about the valves under the boiler itself,could it be one of those?

Thanks for any help guys

Advertisement