Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perth for 4 or 5 days

Options
  • 10-01-2010 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭

I'll be in Perth for 4 or 5 days next month, what would people recommend for this time frame and what to see? Don't want to spend too much time behind the wheel, was thinking of heading north to the Pinnacles for a day and then south towards Margaret river and maybe even Albany (or is that too far?) Even looked at Esperance but that does look too far. Anyone ever done the tree walk at Walpole?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

jester77 wrote: »
    I'll be in Perth for 4 or 5 days next month, what would people recommend for this time frame and what to see? Don't want to spend too much time behind the wheel, was thinking of heading north to the Pinnacles for a day and then south towards Margaret river and maybe even Albany (or is that too far?) Even looked at Esperance but that does look too far. Anyone ever done the tree walk at Walpole?

I'd definitely recommend going down south over the Pinnacles. Margaret River is really nice and so is Albany. Its a good drive from Perth to Albany..probably about a 6 hour drive. Esperance is definitlely worth a look as well. You can see kangaroos sunbathing on the beach! The treetop walk in Walpole is also worth doing too. They're the tallest trees I've ever seen and the views are amazing. Around Perth King's Park is nice and Rottnest Island is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

aido79 wrote: »
    I'd definitely recommend going down south over the Pinnacles.

:confused: Pinnacles is north

Definitely worth seeing though. They're about 3 hours north of Perth. Margaret River is three and a half hours south but worth going to if you like your wine etc.

Plenty to do around the Perth metropolitan area too. Head to Hillarys boat harbour for the best steak ever at the Hippo Creek restaurant. Can't speak highly enough of it. Also spend a day in Fremantle and take in the Little Creatures brewery. The prison tour is good as well. Plenty of great beaches both north and south as well.

The Swan Valley is a good toursity spot and if you have time then do a round of Supa Gold. Great craic.

http://www.swanvalleyoasis.com/content/facilities__surrounds/supa_golf_and_mini_golf/8

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Xavi6 wrote: »
    :confused: Pinnacles is north

I'll rephrase it...I'd head down south instead of going to the Pinnacles.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RedNiamhy

I'd definately recommend the Freemantle Prison tour - the tunnels one or the night tour. Rottnest Island is supposed to be amazing and I would advise doing one of the bus tours of the city and you can go to the mint, the Swan Bells and Kings Park (a must) in one day. Other than that, the beach in Cottesloe is fab and you get great fish & chips out there. Also good for a Sunday Session!!! Enjoy Perth and the peacefulness. It's a world away from the likes of Sydney and Melbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

The Zoo is really impressive. I ended up spending a full day there when I visited - as is the aquarium. The coastline by Hillary's (where the aquarium is) is absolutely beautiful. I would definitely recommend heading to Freemantle for the day. You can get the train or the ferry. The prison tour is really fun. Went on the torchlit tour while there. Freemantle also has loads of lovely shops and the markets are great too.

There are loads of cruises that run from the harbour in Perth city to freemantle, swan valley (wine region) and other places that would be worth checking out. If you get to swan valley I can't recommend Mash brewery highly enough. Amazing food, great service and great home brewed beers and cider. :) I didn't get to go to rottnest during my trip as the weather was too bad for the ferry crossing but it's supposed to be beautiful.

Whiteman park is another place worth visiting. Caversham wildlife park there is beautiful and you get to touch/feed the animals.

The city itself also has a lot to keep you occupied. The Perth Mint is actually a pretty interesting visit and the art gallery is amazing.

Oh, and has already been mentioned, you can't miss out on King's park. It's a must see. Absolutely stunning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I would highly reccommend going to rottnest, its fantastic. Rent a bike and cycle till you find a nice secluded beach, break out a few beers, a picnic and do some snorkling. Such a relaxing place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Forgot to thank ye all. Cheers for the tips, went up to Pinnacles and spent a day around Freemantle at the prison and Little Creatures (nice beer) and then a few days around Margaret River sampling wine. Voyager Estate was my fave and lovely wine! Found a beautiful quiet beach at Bunker Bay for a day and spent a day around Perth city itself and went up the Bell Tower, cool building! Would loved to have had more time while there but it's on my list of places to return to!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

you could find the first irish pub and spend a few days in there

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

samhail wrote: »
    you could find the first irish pub and spend a few days in there

Might as well stay at home then

Advertisement