Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty ATM

Options
  • 10-01-2010 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Has anybody experienced a faulty ATM which fails to issue cash. My wife was using a cash machine yesterday inside a convenience store, the transaction went through but no cash issued from the machine. Another customer said it had happened to her before and was due to old frayed notes been used.The shop were to say the least very unhelpful. Has anybody had a similar experience and how did you resolve it. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

kildare69 wrote: »
    Has anybody experienced a faulty ATM which fails to issue cash. My wife was using a cash machine yesterday inside a convenience store, the transaction went through but no cash issued from the machine. Another customer said it had happened to her before and was due to old frayed notes been used.The shop were to say the least very unhelpful. Has anybody had a similar experience and how did you resolve it. Thanks

Happened to me in Warsaw airport once, funds were taken from account but I got no money. Contacted Bank and they repaid me the money, was not a big deal as they have CCTV to see if my story was true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I think in most of these stores any problem lies with the ATM supplier and not store management. The one in my local Spar is operated by the Ulster Bank, I'm sure they are responsible for all transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

kildare69 wrote: »

The shop can do nothing for you, the ATM and it's contents belong to the bank. You need to call the bank, but I would be helpful if shops give you the bank's contact number (if it's not displayed on the ATM) so you could call them on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

trust me shop can do no more than reccommend you to contact your bank.

you will have the cash back in your account with 48hrs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Happened to me a few times - first time I had to ring the bank and they refunded the money to my account. The second time, the machine itself stated that there was a problem with the machine and that it had notified my bank. Upon checking my bank account, the money had been debited but refunded so no loss to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You can also use one of these to get your cash back. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

I understood that in-store ATMs were restocked by the shop owner with surplus cash from the till...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved to Banking.

OP, check your bank account online, if you can, and the money might already be returned. Often when a machine error occurs, it's credited back immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭bob123456

Happened to me in Dunnes Stores once.

I went up to the customer service desk and told them what happened;
    they took my name and number and said they would call me the next day after they had counted the money in the machine that night.

Got a call the next day and got the exact amount I had tried to withdraw.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Some of the larger stores fill the ATMs themselves, some have them filled by securicor or the like. Most stores won't tell you which way they operate, for security reasons. You need to check your account, if you haven't received a refund of the money, call your bank and ask them to send up a query on it. The turnaround time is usually about 10 days, and the money is refunded directly to your account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

worse thing happened to my mate. he put his card in and started to hear and really bad noise.(you can imagine)

5 seconds later half of his card came out(wasnt a normal tear, the thing looked like someone failed to cut it and then tried again)

had to wait a week and a half to get a new card and he only got it the day before christmas so couldnt really do shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

I would be really surprised if a reversal did not happen instantly upon the cash machine failing to dispense. Thats how they are setup software wise.
    If no cash was offered/dispensed due to an unsuccessful stacking of notes, then the account will not be debited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kildare69

Thanks for all the advice we appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kildare69

As a final update money was credited to her account as some posters suggested , so no dramas. thanks again for the advice.

Advertisement