Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

problems with itunes

• 10-01-2010 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Having got an ipod for Christmas I have had to start using itunes and having a few problems with it. I don't have an awful lot of space left on C drive and so tried to put itunes on D drive but didn't work for whatever reason. So I put it on C drive and all was fine but there is no room on C for all my music. I have my music saved on D (usually use wmp) but itunes has opened a folder in C containing all my music too and now there is no room on C. I tried to move the folder to D but that won't work as itunes can't locate half of the songs.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

put all your music onto d drive>open itunes> drag your music folder onto itunes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

tried that and the file was then on both c and d drives so deleted the c drive file and then half the songs wouldn't work as itunes couldn't locate them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

foxy06 wrote: »
    tried that and the file was then on both c and d drives so deleted the c drive file and then half the songs wouldn't work as itunes couldn't locate them
    Yes but ist that because after you deleted them from your c drive you should deleted them from itunes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭personguy

there are two setting within itunes that you'll want to take a look at. one is the location of your music library and the other is the import settings. if your library is set to the C drive (like "C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\MyMusic\iTunes... etc), and the checkbox is ticked to "Copy files to iTunes media folder when adding them to library," then when you add a song to play it in iTunes, even if it was on the D drive it's going to get copied over into the iTunes library folder on C. you'll essentially end up with two copies of the same song.
    also, as you said most of your songs are "wmp" i'm assuming that means "windows media player" format, which, if specified, is .wma instead of .mp3. if this is the case then iTunes would have to convert these .wma files to .mp3 before playing them, which would be another way you'd end up with copies of the same song, though one would be the original 01 Song.wma and the other would be the one in the iTunes library called 01 Song.mp3.

furthermore, as bobZ already explained, when you rearrange the place where your songs are kept in iTunes, you have to delete them from the iTunes internal library. all this means is that you would open up iTunes, click on your Library, then select all the songs and hit delete. you will probably be asked to confirm that you want to Remove the songs from your library. say OK. if you're then prompted to move all the songs off your computer or to the Recycle Bin, say No. that way there will be no more songs in your library but the songs will still be on your computer.

now move all your songs to the drive where you want them.
    let's say you called it D:\My iTunes Music
    now go into iTunes preferences and set your iTunes to "D:\My iTunes Music", and make sure that the "Copy files to iTunes library...." is not ticked.
    now put all your song files into this folder (My iTunes Music, on your D drive).
    once they're all in place, and your internal iTunes library is completely empty, then drag into iTunes any folder of music that you want to have show up in iTunes.

if you see a dialogue telling you that some of the songs are not formatted to be played in iTunes and must be converted, this is probably a reference to the fact that some (all?) of your songs are formatted as .wma instead of .mp3. if you choose to convert, you will have to wait until the songs are all converted in order to hear them, and you will also still end up with copies (because iTunes can't play the original .wma files), though at least now the copies should be living on the D drive, in your My iTunes Music folder.

note: D:\My iTunes Music is just a sample name. you can of course call the folder where you keep your music anything you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Thanks for that. Only came back to this thread now so will give all that a go later thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement