Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burst Pipes - Anyone else now that the thaw has started

• 10-01-2010 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

In the last half hour we've had 4 leaks.
    The water is thawing now and the bust pipes will start to leak.

They are fine when the water in them is frozen, but once it becomes water again watch out. Thats hen they start pissing water out.

2 pipes in the attic started leaking within 15 mins of each other.
    Then a pipe in the Garage. And the radiator in the garage a few mins later.

Luckily im handy with them. And there was me thinking i had everything insulated properly. I suppose temos as low as we've had are unusual in the least.

Im checking them all every few minutes now.
    While the thaw is on keep checking your atic and garage pipes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

got a burst pipe in the kitchen last night.. so must keep an eye on the attic now just in case..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

For information.......does the leak start pretty quickly once there is SOME thaw?

PLIIM wrote: »
    In the last half hour we've had 4 leaks.
    The water is thawing now and the bust pipes will start to leak.

They are fine when the water in them is frozen, but once it becomes water again watch out. Thats hen they start pissing water out.

2 pipes in the attic started leaking within 15 mins of each other.
    Then a pipe in the Garage. And the radiator in the garage a few mins later.

Luckily im handy with them. And there was me thinking i had everything insulated properly. I suppose temos as low as we've had are unusual in the least.

Im checking them all every few minutes now.
    While the thaw is on keep checking your atic and garage pipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭PLIIM

suitseir wrote: »
    For information.......does the leak start pretty quickly once there is SOME thaw?

Yep. It will just spray out all of a sudden. (It probably drips slowly for a while first, but you wouldnt notice that part at all)
    I noticed the first one because of the force of it hitting the wall.
    I could hear it. So i went to look and there it was. Then another started as i was looking.

I just patched them up. Didnt bother turning off the water. I need it.

if it happens -
    http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/plumbing/how-to-fix-pipes1.htm

I think the pipes themselves must have been frozen. Its the expansion of the ice that does the damage. Nothing to do with the inlet at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

And were two inlet pipes into your house frozen for a while? I presume you have turned off the water now:(

PLIIM wrote: »
    Yep. It will just spray out all of a sudden. (It probably drips slowly for a while first, but you wouldnt notice that part at all)
    I noticed the first one because of the force of it hitting the wall.
    I could hear it. So i went to look and there it was. Then another started as i was looking.

Advertisement