Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fun Things to Do in Ireland without Drink.

Options
  • 10-01-2010 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

OK I thought I'd start off with the obvious and hopefully people can add other less appartent drink free and fun activities.

The Cinema
    Bowling
    Snooker/Pool
    Walking/Hiking
    The Gym
    The Tea Garden in Dublin
    Book Club/Board Games
    Theatre
    Comedy Gigs
    Visit and cook for Friends
    Eating out just avoiding the wine menu
    Internet Stalking whoops Trawling
    Marathons/Triatholons/Cross Country running
    Go Carting
    Tennis/Badminton/Squas
    Horse ridiing
    Museums
    Coffee shops
    Libraries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

TV show recordings
    RTE have loads all the time, and they do be a great laugh

Been to a few filmings of Podge n Rodge, and The Panel

But theres a few other, Late Late Show etc

Gigs
    Ireland has a great gig scene, esp the smaller venues

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

Team sports
    Martial Arts
    Dance lessons
    An evening course in something of interest to you
    Galleries
    Botanic Gardens
    I was going to put the Jameson and Guinness tours but then remembered the topic of this thread :p

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SuperCereal

Yes, I was thinking about putting in going to the pub or clubbing as technically you dont have to drink to enjoy such activities but both are centered around alcohol, the guinness and jamesons breweries are more non drinker friendly as you dont necessarily feel pressurised into drinking while walking about the various places.

TV audiences are a great idea you can join Movieextras.ie for invites to these shows on RTE and get some occasional extra work.

I wouldnt mind meeting a non drinker from a foreign land tto learn their langauge and improve their english, French, Spanish, italian would be top of my list or indeed a local to teach me gaeilge but I doubt I would be much use teaching them English so I could teach them another skill, driving, cooking, creative writing????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Play an Instrument or learn to..playing music is a great way to pass the time

syngindub wrote: »
    Play an Instrument or learn to..playing music is a great way to pass the time

Mate of mine claims 27 is too late to learn the Guitar? Ill be 28 shortly, is this true?

• Advertisement

Mate of mine claims 27 is too late to learn the Guitar? Ill be 28 shortly, is this true?
    Rubbish, im 30 and still learning, guitar or any instrument is just about practice and more practice. Age is nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tench

try fishing very relaxing

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You're forgetting the lakes, rivers, and sea around us.

Canoeing, surfing, rowing a boat, swimming, diiving, the list (probably) goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sparklespark

Sewing! Think of nice cushions, peg bags, make up bags, altering clothes, patchwork quilts, oven gloves !

Sorry hope Im not boring anyone.

oven gloves !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Beat drunk people up

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I know there has been a few ideas given, but maybe provide a sticky with ideas of what to do when you don't drink! And possibly add ideas to the sticky over time!

All this so people don't have to keep asking, "What is there to do in Ireland when you don't drink!"

DIY @ home

Great fun, and not too expensive from the money you save not drinkin :P

djhunter30 wrote: »
    I know there has been a few ideas given, but maybe provide a sticky with ideas of what to do when you don't drink! And possibly add ideas to the sticky over time!

All this so people don't have to keep asking, "What is there to do in Ireland when you don't drink!"

Whats a sticky?

We forgot to mention the most fun activity of all...go to bars and look disapprovingly at the drinkers and judge them ;)

A sticky is a thread that the mods/admins have stuck blu tack on so that it doesn't move down the page as it gets old and ignored. There's a few at the top of this forum.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Whats a sticky?

A sticky is a thread that stays near the top of the forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Racy

Rock Climbing
    Cycling, Ireland has some fantastic routes outside and some within Dublin
    Grafitti
    Volunteering
    Being able to get up early on a sunday and go hiking in the wicklow mountains where one can have a mountain all to one's self

Thats gas, you can have a whole mountain to yourself in Ireland on a Sunday as all the population is dying of a national hangover. Hey we should take over the country on Easter Sunday. Band of Sober Irish people rise to power by attacking on the weekly day of recovery.

Apart from going to pubs and looking at drinkers disaprovingly, nothing gives me more pleasure than to turn up the volume on my radio while playing my collection of Korn, Slipknot, Rammestein etc! The fun watching the feeble and hungover recovery from a pounding headache is more entertaining!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 aineom

I found myself on Friday night playing scrabble on facebook with one of my other mates who's on the dry. Mountain walking and canoeing and volunteering are all great but there's feck all to do on a weekend-night. Suggestions for next weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

djhunter30 wrote: »

It is so ridiculous that some people think the only way to have fun is by getting drunk, luckily it is a small minority or we wouldn't have enough pubs to hold everybody. I drink, but I dont binge drink there is a big difference. I dont see the fun in drinking 8 pints on a saturday night. SAD. Back to the subject, there are millions of things to do in Ireland, as much as there is to do in any country. My wife and I regulary go hill walking with groups its great craic. I play chess every fortnight or so with a few lads (we meet in a pub and you dont have to drink, most dont bother). Any amount of great night courses to get involved with. Kicking a ball around with a few mates, its free and good exercise. Visiting galleries and sites around the country. We visited Francis Bacons exhibition in Dublin this weekend, completely free, amazing and no drink involved. I find this thread a little funny because as far as I was concerned I thought almost all activities could be done without drink.

Bugnug wrote: »
    It is so ridiculous that some people think the only way to have fun is by getting drunk, luckily it is a small minority or we wouldn't have enough pubs to hold everybody. I drink, but I dont binge drink there is a big difference. I dont see the fun in drinking 8 pints on a saturday night. SAD. Back to the subject, there are millions of things to do in Ireland, as much as there is to do in any country. My wife and I regulary go hill walking with groups its great craic. I play chess every fortnight or so with a few lads (we meet in a pub and you dont have to drink, most dont bother). Any amount of great night courses to get involved with. Kicking a ball around with a few mates, its free and good exercise. Visiting galleries and sites around the country. We visited Francis Bacons exhibition in Dublin this weekend, completely free, amazing and no drink involved. I find this thread a little funny because as far as I was concerned I thought almost all activities could be done without drink.

I was in Howl At The Moon last night and I actually got bored. That wouldn't have happened if I had been drinking. I was bored despite the fact that the place was full of very hot women. They were all really drunk and the music was too loud (that's due to me being sober and nothing to do with me being 30!:mad:)
    You also should bare in mind that the "8 pints" for a lot of people are a release from their everyday lives and the stress of the current economic climate (of course it also has to do with the notion that it's the "done thing" to get locked on a Friday and Saturday night).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

I was in Howl At The Moon last night and I actually got bored. That wouldn't have happened if I had been drinking. I was bored despite the fact that the place was full of very hot women. They were all really drunk and the music was too loud (that's due to me being sober and nothing to do with me being 30!:mad:)
    You also should bare in mind that the "8 pints" for a lot of people are a release from their everyday lives and the stress of the current economic climate (of course it also has to do with the notion that it's the "done thing" to get locked on a Friday and Saturday night).

Its the done thing for a minority of people thankfully. Sorry Dave but I think it probably was to do with the fact that you are 30:) I,m 31 and I can't stand noisy pubs and clubs anymore. To do with stresses of everyday life and the current economic..... and when times were good it was because we had the money. There will always be an excuse.

So do you think it's better to use drink as rose-coloured-glasses?
    You also should bare in mind that the "8 pints" for a lot of people are a release from their everyday lives and the stress of the current economic climate
    Get locked, forget abt it for a few hours, lose the next day bein hungover, and suprise, the recession's still there....
    (of course it also has to do with the notion that it's the "done thing" to get locked on a Friday and Saturday night).
    I never did what the "cool kids" were doin when I was a teenager, let alone now

You can still enjoy clubs/pubs without drink, it just makes you have an actual opinion of places. I'm 21 and there's some places I find too loud [But it's a pub, I just find the idea of a crazy-loud pub so ironic!]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

I have a friend who do not drink and still has the crack with us, and has no problems going out with us and we do not always take advantage of getting him to take us home when we are piss drunk. He always have the best stories of who was really plastered or the bad the next day and we do not have a problem with it.

There is also a friend of a another friend of mine who also do not drink but still have a ball and is a hit with the ladies at night in the pubs and night clubs in Limerick city. So non-drinker and going out in pubs/clubs at the same time do mix.

It depends on your attitude, usually people who take the piss or say non-drinkers are boring is plain stupid. It does not take alcohol to make you more interesting, while it can remove inhibitions. It just makes you more stupid, if your are stupid already! Drink either bring out the person you really are or brings out the worst in you. When I hear these people complaining about non-drinkers, It just exposes their ignorance and stupidity.

When I go out to enjoy myself, whenever i decide to drink or not-drink depends on what I am doing the following morning. Women who usually have a problem when i do not drink usually get drop like a stone in the ocean :P, for there are plenty of other women in world who do not have problems with me not drinking to enjoy myself with :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 johnny25clare

become a bouncer and watch drinkers make an ape of themselves and actually get paid for standing there im a bouncer and im tee-total

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

meet up with friends in someones house for dvd, takeaway etc and specify not a drinking night.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ciaran187

Racy wrote: »
    Rock Climbing
    Cycling, Ireland has some fantastic routes outside and some within Dublin
    Grafitti
    Volunteering
    Being able to get up early on a sunday and go hiking in the wicklow mountains where one can have a mountain all to one's self

Hey Racy. Where can you go Rock Climbing? I'm in Dublin 15 but willing to travel a bit. Is it expensive?

Also wanted to go walking in the Wicklow mountains for a good while now. I know it sounds a bit stupid but I don't know where! I assume there's some designated car park somewhere with a signposted path so you can find your way back down???

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

Zorbing

http://www.goldenmoments.ie/zorbing/

A day at Killary harbour was an amazing experience and a great way to get the adrenaline pumping.

http://www.killaryadventure.com/

• Advertisement

Bugnug wrote: »
    Its the done thing for a minority of people thankfully.

Eh, it most certainly isn't a minority :P

Advertisement