Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burritos N Blues

Options
  • 10-01-2010 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Anyone know why this place was closed in Ranelagh?

Did it not do enough business?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Sad. Nice little spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

I'm not surprised. I thought the food there was very poor. It's a pity it's closed though because they also used to employ a certain number of people with special needs which was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I think you're thinking of the wrong place Eglinton, that place had the best Burritos in Dublin and I don't recall seeing any special needs employees there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

-Chris- wrote: »
    I think you're thinking of the wrong place Eglinton, that place had the best Burritos in Dublin and I don't recall seeing any special needs employees there.

No, it's the right one. Just across from Smith's. They were on the news and Nationwide about it.

Wow, I'm surprised at that. I ate there many times and never got the impression there were any people with special needs working there.

Go figure! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I didn't really like the food from there, wasn't very nice. I barely noticed it diappear actually, it was very subtle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 panch

Burritos and Blues are opening again I think, somewhere on Wexford Street!! cant wait, the Silver Bullet Burrito was the best I have ever tasted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

Burrito n'blues was class, but closed down due to health and safety. Kitchen mustn't have been in the best order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 BurritoQueen

Hi there i am the founder of Burritos 'n Blues. What's this about some one opening a business under the same name??? Hmmmm ...Couldn't POSSIBLEY have my recipes etc..... hmmmmmm funny.

Just to set the the record straight. We DID hire staff with special needs. We won the O2 Ability Awards for our work within this catagory. We even had menues in braille. We NEVER had a bad word about our food until after I sold my interest to my investors because of managment of the company conflict issues. Then I followed from a distance the slow demise of my lovely little business as the food quality was lowered and the service became slack. I LOVED my restaurant passionately....still think about it often.... I still own the name as I paid nearly 3k for the design and name etc....oh well so it goes yes?

• Advertisement

Would you ever think of getting back into it?

My wife and I miss you...

yes I would LOVE to do this again....really I would love this....capital, capital, capital......how to do this? I've got a bit of moola but not enough....Remind me who you both are ...I would know faces (and what you ordered of course) but not names.... I love now between Tourmakeady Co Mayo and Newport Co Tipperary.....but where there's a will there's a way..

What do you like the most about Burritos 'n Blues?

I don't know if you'd remember us, but we were living on Beechwood Ave and loved to stroll down for some grub.
    The favourites were the steak burrito or the guacamole, both were fantastic.
    After that we moved to the city centre (working in Sandyford) and once a week we'd make a point of commuting through Ranelagh to pick up some burritos on the way home - they rarely lasted as far as the apartment, they'd normally be gone by the time we got to Christchurch :D.

The main thing I liked was the actual ingredients - everything seemed fresh and good and there was very little "filler". I eat in another burrito place in Dublin and it seems like they put in far more rice and refried beans, and far less veg & meat, than you used to.

By way of a further compliment - I am a bit of a Mexican food fan, and myself and herself were over in California a few years ago, and anytime I ate in a Mexican restaraunt my main yardstick for quality was "is their burrito as tasty as the one from Burritos and Blues?".

Well what wonderful compliments! Thank you very much.
    I think this calls for a lets' eat it again Burrito'n Blues reunion???.... all of my former staff have been in contact with me and have been asking for a get-together...so perhaps if anyone else out there would like have a sentimental Burrito-eat-fest do contact me here and we'll plan an afternoon of cooking and eating watcha think? My home in Tourmakeady is lovely and overlooks Lough Mask (20 min from Lenanne and 20 min from Westport) BUT Newport, CoTipp is closer commute wise (only 2 hours from Dublin vs 3.5hrs from Mayo). ....so as in the words of NIKE let's 'JUST DO IT' mi amigos ....signed da one 'n only: BurritoQueen

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I used to go to Burritos n' Blues too and I miss the place.:(

Dublin has very few Mexican places as it is. I fell in love with Burritos from my J1 stint in San Francisco in the 90s and Burritos n' Blues was a great place to get a good and affordable burrito. I really hope it reopens.

First thank you of rall teh compliments. I dreamed and planned for 8 long years to open Burritos 'n Blues before I finally got the chance. BUT be clear boys n girls this is NOT the real Burritos 'n Blues just someone who has taken or bought the NAME...I have the origional recipes ....the folks that took it over after I left had a GREAT chance to keep it going but regretfully they began to cut costs by adding in more rice and beans and they stopped marinating the meat for a minimum of 3 days etc., etc., We NEVER had a bad food review until after I sold my interest to the other shareholders.... Oh well....But on the other hand we CAN have a remembrance Silver Burrito EAT-FEST SOON.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

That Boojum place and Pablo Picante seem to do great business these days (and are savage eating), so I don't see why B'n'B's couldn't make a glorious comeback. Wasn't living here at the time, but loadsa people still go on about the quality of the munch ye had going so...

Well folks it looks as if the old Burritos 'n Blues is ACTUALLY rising from the ashes.... it's not some strangers who snapped up the name like I first incorrectly thought!! Some of the old team are involved...so I guess I'll be mosien' along down to Wexford Street to give a helping hand....the food will be based on my old yummy California/Mexican family recipes
    So boys' n girls The SILVER BULLET BURRITO is coming back to Ireland yum yum! Mamamarlow

Excellent news!

That is great news! Thanks BurritoQueen:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 DarraghMcK

Excellent!

Can't wait

Do you know if they'll be looking for staff by any chance? :)

I'd give an arm and a leg to work there

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Phelim88

DarraghMcK wrote: »
    Excellent!

Can't wait

Do you know if they'll be looking for staff by any chance? :)

I'd give an arm and a leg to work there
    http://www.jobs.ie/Burritos-Blues/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Well folks it looks as if the old Burritos 'n Blues is ACTUALLY rising from the ashes.... it's not some strangers who snapped up the name like I first incorrectly thought!! Some of the old team are involved...so I guess I'll be mosien' along down to Wexford Street to give a helping hand....the food will be based on my old yummy California/Mexican family recipes
    So boys' n girls The SILVER BULLET BURRITO is coming back to Ireland yum yum! Mamamarlow

Burritos N Blues Mark 1 was one of the best burrito houses I have ever eaten in. The steak burrito was awesome. Best of luck with the new venture to all involved. Any idea when the grand opening will be taking place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 helloworld123

Burrito's and Blues was the best burrito place in ireland. I've never had one to top it in this country & think that only in southern cali itself will you be able to find one that's better. I used to drive 15 miles just to get the grande (mmmmmmmm....). was gutted to find they closed & was so delighted to see it reopening that i took a picture on my phone and sent it to a bunch of my mates. Are you telling me that they are imposters?! GUTTED! Perfect location tho & I will definitely try it to see if it's anywhere near as good as the old days in Ranelagh. their website is www.burritos.ie

It's lookin like they are close to opening. Stuck my head in today and the counters and all are in, no furniture though. I can't wait!!!

it ain't me nor the 'real' 'B n B'. At first i thought they were going to use some of us to help out with recipes and such from the old days ...but not so....Well I hope they are a success. If anyone wants recipes from the origional Burritos 'n Blues just let me know..... its all in the secret 3 day-marinade for the yummy steak and chicken Burritos.... and thank you for all of you whio loved eating my food after all this time to think it still is remembered makes me feel good...thanks again, Deborah AKA Mamamarlo.....

I wouldn't mind those secret recipes!! I remember the old place well, and when I popped in today I was sure I recognised 2 peeps from the Ranelagh one.... Anyway best of luck to them, Dublin is being taken over by Burritos and I love it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Celebrate like a Bull

OMG guys I used to love this place. When is it opening? Do they serve beer there?
    There is nothing better than a burrito and a beer.
    Is there a Facebook page for Burritos 'n Blues?
    The quarter pounder and chips is dated these days so bring back the burrito.
    It is not going to do anything for my rotund carcass though!

Good lord after SO many requests both online and private email: YES, YES, YES THE SILVER BULLIT BURRITO RECIPE WILL BE POSTED THIS WEEK..... BTW the NEW fellas opening a new mexican take-a-way under the 'old' 'Burritos 'n Blues' name opened today on Wexford street ....
    Would someone please got look & taste and tell me if it's good, maybe even send me some photos of the food/menu?

thanks kids
    Mamamarlow!

BTW: my new 'Mama's Diner' will be open in Newport Co Tipperary near Limerick....home smoked Memphis style BBQ, ALL of my origional 'Burritos 'n Blues' recipes AND a sprinkling of Grannies' traditional 'country-Irish food will be served....and of course GREAT music and rude (but swift) service.....

• Advertisement

I think they are opening tomorrow. I met the 2 guys from the old place in there yesterday so it must be the same guys involved. Fair play cause the place looks unreal!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement