Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burritos N Blues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

I work right beside it, looks to be all ready and there's a sign on the window saying it's open tomorrow (Wednesday) at 12pm. Can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 BurritoQueen

I just got off the phone to the owner David Stone Jr., and they've hired three of my old staff and are opening with a simular menu.... ... I wish them all the luck in the world. My own 'BBQ & Tex-Mex Diner' will be open in October.... may our good food fill the bellys of every hungry customer ....hurrah for CHILLIES!

Mamamarlow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Celebrate like a Bull

I think the new place on Wexford Street opened on Friday night as i walked by the place and it seemed to be open, so i went in to sample one. To my amazement they gave me one for free. I think it was a soft launch or something. I picked the chicken quesidilla with medium spice and it was fab. I am going to Burritos n Blues again tonight. Does any one know if they sell chips in there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 goggarvey

Going to head down to the new place on Wexford street after work... Is it open today?

I remember going to the original before it was taken over by someone else, it was fantastic and we were the last customers one night so they gave us a load of extra food going out the door. I went back a few months later and everything had changed, different staff and food was very different. Didn't go back after that. Hopefully this new place is more like the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

goggarvey wrote: »
    Going to head down to the new place on Wexford street after work... Is it open today?

I remember going to the original before it was taken over by someone else, it was fantastic and we were the last customers one night so they gave us a load of extra food going out the door. I went back a few months later and everything had changed, different staff and food was very different. Didn't go back after that. Hopefully this new place is more like the original.

Sure is, passed it earlier, happy days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Tasted it today, very tasty indeed! I can't compare with the original, but I enjoyed it. My American friend, who would be a lot more familiar with burritos, gave it his stamp of approval also...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 greenasil

I was in there today as well. Very tasty.
    Not the same as the burritos popularized in American chains like Qdoba or Chipotle, but very satisfying nonetheless.
    I'll be back soon for more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 goggarvey

I was there yesterday and had a strange experience, one of the staff was pretty rude and they had stuff on the menu which wasn't available ( I wouldn't find this strange but since it was the opening day and it was guacamole. )

I enjoyed my food, so did my girlfriend but she was so put off by the guy behind the counter she said she won't be going back. But food is always more important to me so I most certainly will be back.

I was there last night too and it was gorgeous. Went for the chicken quesadilla with melted cheese again, which was off the hook. The queue was huge when I was leaving which is always a good sign. One of my mates who was with me last night is Mexican, he said it was like he was back home without the tequila! Joking aside, a big thumbs up for Burritos n Blues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Hey BurritoQueen, good to hear you're still going. I stopped by the old Burritos 'N Blues many times and made it a routine for a while to pick up dinner there on Fridays. I don't think I've had a better burrito since it closed. I've tried Boojum burritos and they're pretty good but I think the old BNB was just a little bit better. I think I saw you there once working the till. I'll have to try marinating meat for 3 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ate here today - very tasty. Could be with being a tad bit cheaper though. My burrito with jalapeños and guacamole came to almost 8 euro. Price would probably stop be going there regularly.

Any idea what the nachos are like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 panch

Man 8 euros for a massive burrito and guac is great value! It's not a soggy sandwich!! Haven't had the nachos but my friend did and they looked unreal, I think they are called big ass nachos. If you pay peanuts you get monkeys!! I'd rather pay 8 euros for fresh food with Irish Meat rather than pay a cheaper price and get bought in crap and rubbish meat. I love the place! Needs more seats though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Its quite ok.

When I went the lettuce was browning, and the burrito arrived tepid.
    This was probably the biggest problem. I mean it wasn't busy, in fact there was no queue so there was no need to rush things! I hate receiving luke warm food.

The salsa is not great either. Its a bit liquid if ye get me.
    I much prefer a fresh salsa. I got the second "hottest" salsa too, which was very mild it must be said. (I got the Jalapeño option also).

On the menu there was a choice of two refried bean choices, but I was never given this choice.

Serviettes were non existent, instead there was a large industrial blue surface cleaning roll. A bit useless at cleaning your hands, along with being very awkward.

While I was there were 4 staff working, two were having lunch there with there feet on the seats! Another had lunch after serving us.

I can't see the place lasting ling, especially considering they haven't really improved their offering since the Ralelagh try-out. But we'll see.

To conclude, they're good but not great.
    A second to Taco Taco who's salsa is better by quite a stretch.

A bit harsh!! Menu is totally different, big ass nachos, burrito bowls etc. I ate in ranelagh and I now work 2 secs from the new place, and it's totally different! I also know the manager well and he would defo not stand for feet on seats and 2 staff on breaks at one time!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

enda1 wrote: »
    To conclude, they're good but not great.
    A second to Taco Taco who's salsa is better by quite a stretch.

Have you been to Pablo Picante? How would you compare B'n'B to there if you have?

I like Pablos, but I reckon b & bs is better tasting. You can't actually see what goes into pablos burritos as it's all done behind the counter. All bbs is made in front of you with kitchen visible. The chicken is much nicer and the place is way funkier looking. I also love the colourful salsa they use in b&. B don't know what it's called though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 harlot

I'm really surprised that people would favour B& B over Pablo Picante.
    I think PP is pretty decent and their salsas are great.

I used to frequent B&B in Ranelagh and while I didn't think that it was the most amazing burrito going it certainly did the job.
    I was so excited to hear it was opening on Wexford St as I live very close by.

I've been twice now and both times I have been left completely disappointed.
    First up was the burrito with pork made by one of the grumpiest lads I have come across in a long time. All the ingredients were cold and the salsa had no kick whatsoever. I am a bit of a spice wuss so opted for salsa 2 (of 4, although the guy only offered me 3 choices) and it was a pathetic level of spice. The pork was really fatty too. Only when he was rolling it and I said to him (for the second or third time) that I wanted sour cream did he bark at me that they didn't have any.

I went back the other day to give it one last chance and got the chicken burrito. Got salsa 3 and it was a bit better spice wise. Still, the ingredients were all cold, the chicken was pretty much tasteless and the grumpy guy was there once again resentfully rolling my burrito.

No love goes into the making of those burritos!

Going to Boojum tomorrow so it'll be good to compare.

I agree, some of the staff are not great! But they are only open 2 weeks, I have had some great burritos from pp's but I have also had some howlers!!

B&Bs is fresh, clean and has a cool fit out. Even though they are only opened a few weeks they are doing it very well. Was in there the other day and one of the guys working there came over to me as i was eating my burrito and asked me do i want more salsa. This doesn't happen in any other takeaways that i have been to and is over and above what i would expect. Great service and very tasty feed. Pity they wouldn't open one on the north side as i am travelling from howth to get my burrito. Well worth it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 GAA_GC

I was here only the other day after a work meeting and the burrito's where off the wall. I am going back again at the weekend to show a friend as she absolutely loves Mexican food. Definitely worth the trip from Drimnagh in ....... :)

• Advertisement

panch wrote: »
    I agree, some of the staff are not great! But they are only open 2 weeks, I have had some great burritos from pp's but I have also had some howlers!!

yeah I've only been there twice so I'm definitely no expert on the place.

The fact that BnB are only open two weeks really shouldn't have anything to do with it though. Surely they would want to start out with the best possible quality they can?!

I dunno, I guess everyone has different tastes but I for one am a very disappointed customer who won't return

Surprised at the negative comments as I have recommended it to a few people now. Try the beef quesadilla, melted cheese, extra salsa and mixed salad (with extra garlic mayo on the side). You will then be a satisfied customer who will definitely return!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 GAA_GC

All this talk of burritos and enchelada's i think im going to go in at lunchtime and get me some more :) ......

Surprised at the negative comments as I have recommended it to a few people now. Try the beef quesadilla, melted cheese, extra salsa and mixed salad (with extra garlic mayo on the side). You will then be a satisfied customer who will definitely return!

Since I'm bound to stumble past it after a few pints and wander in at some stage I'll be sure to give this one a go!
    I'll be holding you responsible if it's awful though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Loved the original Burritos n Blues, though it was rare to get in and try it as I live in Westmeath.

Must try the new one on Wexford street some time.
    We need more quality Mexican places. So far the best one I have come across is on Dame/Lord Edward street opposite Copper Alley. It is run by Mexicans which is always a good sign :D

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

B&Bs is fresh, clean and has a cool fit out. Even though they are only opened a few weeks they are doing it very well. Was in there the other day and one of the guys working there came over to me as i was eating my burrito and asked me do i want more salsa. This doesn't happen in any other takeaways that i have been to and is over and above what i would expect. Great service and very tasty feed. Pity they wouldn't open one on the north side as i am travelling from howth to get my burrito. Well worth it though.

Have you tried Boojum or Taco Taco, both on the northside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

I went to the one in Ranelagh when it first opened. I didn't really like the food. It was a nice spot and the staff were polite etc, but the food didn't give me that taste explosion I was after; bit bland, although I did only sample one or two things on the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I went to the one in Ranelagh when it first opened. I didn't really like the food. It was a nice spot and the staff were polite etc, but the food didn't give me that taste explosion I was after; bit bland, although I did only sample one or two things on the menu.

Have you ever had proper Mexican food in the US or even Mexico? I ask because most Irish peoples expectation of Mexican food is just plain wrong.

I am married to an American who grew up in a town full of Mexicans and Mexican restaurants and BnB was the first Mexican place to get the thumbs up from her and it was only a fast food style place. And of course I myself am a regular visitor to the US and eater of Mexican food. Nyom nyom....

There is a great one on Baggot street, well not great but certainly very satisfying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

Saruman wrote: »
    Have you ever had proper Mexican food in the US or even Mexico? I ask because most Irish peoples expectation of Mexican food is just plain wrong.

I am married to an American who grew up in a town full of Mexicans and Mexican restaurants and BnB was the first Mexican place to get the thumbs up from her and it was only a fast food style place. And of course I myself am a regular visitor to the US and eater of Mexican food. Nyom nyom....

There is a great one on Baggot street, well not great but certainly very satisfying.

My apologies if it didn't satiate my palate! Get over yourself and your exalted, self-gratifying opinions on the delights of fast food in another country - "Oh, this is the home of the burrito!", "You don't know anything til you've tried it here!". Please. I tried it in Ranelagh. I didn't like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Just noticed burritos and blues are on citydeal today. You pay 3.20 and get 8 euros worth of food.

Heres my affiliate link if youre feeling nice: <snip>

If you would rather not use the affiliate link, heres the normal link: http://www.citydeal.ie/deals/dublin

Either way, massive burrito/tacos/quesadillas for 3.20 is great value (60% off). 11 hours until deal ends.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement