Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another frozen pipes saga

• 10-01-2010 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

my attic tank is frozen. broke thro it and very little water in it. every day i have been defrosting the mains pipe outside and that gets my cold water taps back straight away. i thought i was ok because of that. had been checking the attic tank - today is first time it froze.
    i prsume with lack of water in tank i can't turn on central heating now either.. :(
    what do i do about the tank? there don't appear to be any leaks.. yet...i hope...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Check previous posts but I remember one poster saying you can turn on your central heating.

Regarding your tank, and I am no expert, maybe use a hairdryer, on an extension lead, to assist in the thaw. Wait for more professional advice, though, just in case.

paddles wrote: »
    my attic tank is frozen. broke thro it and very little water in it. every day i have been defrosting the mains pipe outside and that gets my cold water taps back straight away. i thought i was ok because of that. had been checking the attic tank - today is first time it froze.
    i prsume with lack of water in tank i can't turn on central heating now either.. :(
    what do i do about the tank? there don't appear to be any leaks.. yet...i hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭paddles

my pipes are all insulated but the tank isn't covered. should it be? so what do i use the hair dryer on given pipes are covered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

IMO I would direct the dryer onto the water in the tank. Check with PETE 67 ( I think). He is in the know on this subject. Maybe pm him.

paddles wrote: »
    my pipes are all insulated but the tank isn't covered. should it be? so what do i use the hair dryer on given pipes are covered?

Advertisement