Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions About Opening My Xbox360 and HDD

Options
  • 10-01-2010 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Well I'm getting a VIA VT6421A 3-Port SATA Raid & IDE Controller PCI Card and I have a few questions,
    1) Can I update my firmware using this SATA cable?

2) Can I hook my Xbox's HDD up to my PC to inject data onto it using this thing?

3) Where abouts can I buy some Torx screwdrivers in Dublin City Centre?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Well I'm getting a VIA VT6421A 3-Port SATA Raid & IDE Controller PCI Card and I have a few questions,
    1) Can I update my firmware using this SATA cable?

2) Can I hook my Xbox's HDD up to my PC to inject data onto it using this thing?

3) Where abouts can I buy some Torx screwdrivers in Dublin City Centre?

1) Yes, you can update drives using this. You will have to overcome other drive-related obstacles though (e.g. Lite-on's need a probe, or some solder work on the PCB if it's a newer version).

2) You can hook up your xbox hard drive using any regular SATA controller. If you do not want to open the hard drive case you will need an adapter. It probably doesn't come with the card unless explicitly stated.

3) Any decent hardware/electrical store. Even one of those multi-bit screwdrivers will most likely have the torx you need. T8 and T10 and you're sorted.

Might I suggest you educate yourself about the risks of all you're going to attempt? Maybe you're not interested in Live! one bit, but just to let you know that injecting data onto your hard drive is asking for a ban, not just on your console but on any gamertag too. Flashing your drive is asking for a ban, especially if you're using the xbox 360 as the power source for the drive while flashing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

especially if you're using the xbox 360 as the power source for the drive while flashing.

Is that how they are detecting the firmware variations TV? Does the 360 log the drive disconnected signal or something?

EnterNow wrote: »
    Is that how they are detecting the firmware variations TV? Does the 360 log the drive disconnected signal or something?

That wouldn't be the only way because people using the CK3/Probe or any form of external power source to power the drive for flashing wouldn't be banned then.

It's commonly believed the xbox 360 will log when it is powered up without a DVD drive detected. I'm unsure what action is taken as a result of this detection because if they just outright banned people on this then poor Joe Soap who's DVD drive PCB went bust one day would get flagged too because the drive wouldn't be detected the next time he powered on his console.

It could very well be a case that doing this will just flag your console for further scrutiny because there's no legitimate reason why this would happen.

As for actual firmware detection, well the story and speculation seems to have died down but considering it's 1.5+ that are detected and 1.41 seems to be going grand I wager some of the new features designed for users' protection ended up causing all the grief.

The fact 1.41 isn't banned suggests that actual querying of the firmware isn't possible like c4eva said. It was most likely a combination of things that got people banned - detectable changes in the challenge/response, disc spinning speeds are faster/slower than retail firmware, DVD-Booktypes, if you downloaded games then you most likely played at least one bad rip (ABGX verificaiton is flawed and does have bad data), playing games before release dates.

I'm sure there are more and we'll probably never know exactly which one it was that led to the downfall of iX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

The fact 1.41 isn't banned suggests that actual querying of the firmware isn't possible like c4eva said. It was most likely a combination of things that got

Is 1.41 available for Liteons you know? i'm on 1.61 but was thinking of downgrading cos 1.61 won't do wave 5 afaik... correct me i'm wrong though :)

The recent Liteon iX1.61 will boot wave 4 & 5. But if a new one comes along then it wont so if your banned puttin on the unofficial liteon nonstealth is prob the best bet.

• Advertisement

Is 1.41 available for Liteons you know? i'm on 1.61 but was thinking of downgrading cos 1.61 won't do wave 5 afaik... correct me i'm wrong though :)

I honestly don't know, I doubt it though. Liteon was 1.5+ only IIRC. If you're on 1.61 you can use the "one-shot boot" disc to boot waves greater than 5, it will work on waves 4 & 5.

There's no real sense in downgrading to 1.4 if you've flashed 1.61 already and have a dashboard version greater than v7371 - it's most likely too late to save you from Live! banning if you ever connect again :P

Liteon iX1.6 Requires Activate disc to boot wave 4 & 5
    Liteon iX1.61 can boot upto Wave 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

cisk wrote: »
    Liteon iX1.6 Requires Activate disc to boot wave 4 & 5
    Liteon iX1.61 can boot upto Wave 5.

Ah, cheers, what's the oldest non stealth firmware for a liteon i can use?
    There's no real sense in downgrading to 1.4 if you've flashed 1.61 already and have a dashboard version greater than v7371 - it's most likely too late to save you from Live! banning if you ever connect again :P

That's grand, i'm online with my new one now, no banning so far! i think i'll be safe till next wave.

That's grand, i'm online with my new one now, no banning so far! i think i'll be safe till next wave.

Heh, I wouldn't count on it but maybe :)

There is no official liteon nonstealth, but there is a hex edited 1.6 that means the "one shot boot" mode is always activated.
    Most likely unsafe for live.

• Advertisement
Advertisement