Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strong smokey smell in attic

• 10-01-2010 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

since i've been frequenting my attic this week i've noticed a strong smell of smoke, presumably from chimney. never noticed this before. i'm due a chimney clean alright but prior to this over all the years and pre-other routine cleans, never got a smell like it. is it to do with the extrme weather mainly or , as friend suggested, could i have a crack in chimney? :eek:

times like this i wish someone else would take charge of my house! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zziplex

First port af call is to re-point all cement joints or gaps you can find,

Or better still get the chimney in your attic plastered its a far better job

Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

You need a new chimney flue liner. Not too major of a job but you need it done to prevent fumes entering bedrooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

meercat wrote: »
    You need a new chimney flue liner. Not too major of a job but you need it done to prevent fumes entering bedrooms.

So without seeing it you just come to the concluson that a new liner is needed..........pfffft.

OP i would get u into the atic and have a look around your chimney stack and look for any obvious cracks etc, othe than that i would put it down t the weather , if you go outside you will notice he smell of coal/briquettes burning a lot more as the cold air forces the smells down.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zziplex

Agree with above flu liner is most probally not your problem!

Mix up a bit of cement and go up to your attic and fill every nuke and cranny of your chimney using a trowel.....If that fails keep us posted should be a simple fix.......

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭paddles

zziplex wrote: »
    Agree with above flu liner is most probally not your problem!

Mix up a bit of cement and go up to your attic and fill every nuke and cranny of your chimney using a trowel.....If that fails keep us posted should be a simple fix.......

thanks, hopefully not as i have nothing of the sort in my possession and sounds like hassle...
    i like the idea of the cold weather causing stronger smell... i.e. no work! :)will check it out

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

your wifes back on the fags :p

maxxie wrote: »
    your wifes back on the fags :p

WTF!!!! :eek:
    what makes you assume I'm a man!!!
    Is this forum just for men then??!!
    Good GRIEF!! :eek:

paddles wrote: »
    WTF!!!! :eek:
    what makes you assume I'm a man!!!
    Is this forum just for men then??!!
    Good GRIEF!! :eek:

cant beleive your husband lets you use the internet!

cant beleive your husband lets you use the internet!

oh, now i'm married am, I?!!
    whatever next.... :eek:

paddles wrote: »
    oh, now i'm married am, I?!!
    whatever next.... :eek:

whod have ya with that attitude :p just playin by the way.
    Id get a plumber in if I was you! Dont know any females plumbers before ya start :D

• Advertisement

whod have ya with that attitude :p just playin by the way.
    Id get a plumber in if I was you! Dont know any females plumbers before ya start :D

can't see how that will help with my chimney issue! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Payton

My god, this person is looking for advice and yet they get grief!!!. To be honest have a look in your Yellow Pages and shop around and get some expert advice, you cant be too careful. It could be a lot worse and your insurance should cover it.
    Keep us posted on the outcome.

doesn't seem to be a prob anymore. as someone suggested, the freezing weather may have contributed to a more noticable smell than usual. also got it cleaned again, just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Payton

Thanks for letting us know the outcome :)

Advertisement