Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence - ALL TV licence discussion/queries in this thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Warper wrote:
    I have one in my bedroom thats the only one in the gaff.

Pay the licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

- have they equipment to use outside the house to detect a TV?

No
    Who is responsible - the home owner i presume?n

The person in posession of the equipment (you)
    Help needed please, whats the best option
    Boards.ie does not allow users to advise others how to break the law (unfortunately)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭ps200306

Warper wrote: »
    I have one in my bedroom thats the only one in the gaff...

- Should we contact them saying we dont have a TV hence no licence needed

That'd be a big fat lie then? Have you any shame? How about stop breaking the law, stop thieving off the rest of us, and for god's sake stop asking us to help you figure out how to get away it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Warper wrote: »
    Right got a letter today saying that if i dont pay for the licence a summons will be issued Wed.

Im currently renting and the owner occupier of the gaff gave my name when the inspector called he said he didnt have a TV which he doesnt

I have one in my bedroom thats the only one in the gaff.

Few questions:

- Should we contact them saying we dont have a TV hence no licence needed saying we just have laptops
    - I could contact them and say i dont live there anymore saying i was calling round to pick, i could say i moved back home, what proof would they need - i have bank statements and all that, give the landlords name let him deal with them
    - have they equipment to use outside the house to detect a TV?
    -Who is responsible - the home owner i presume?

Help needed please, whats the best option

The owner gave your name and I assume stated you have a tv? Get a licence asap. It's that or court. You will be held responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭MurDawg

Hi,

Bit of a dilemma recently with the TV licence. So my girlfriend answered the door to them back in January. We didnt have a TV licence (we liven in a house with 2 other people at the time, 1 of which had a TV)

A letter was sent to her saying pay the licence but she moved out of the country soon after so didnt think much on it. I now have received a court summons in her name. Rang up and they said we have to back pay the licence since the time of the visit (130 quid) Which I am fine with. But he also said we need to pay for a fresh tv licence subscription? She's moving back next month and we dont even have a tv or live in that residence anymore.

No problem paying the 130, but paying for a fresh tv licence for the year seam preposterous?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's the deal they make to avoid court - where you'll be at the very least ordered to do the same, if not fined.

L1011 wrote: »
    That's the deal they make to avoid court - where you'll be at the very least ordered to do the same, if not fined.

Why would someone without a tv that isn't even in the country have to pay for a tv license?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Why would someone without a tv that isn't even in the country have to pay for a tv license?

As you know many people have found a work around involving a cunning plan to deceive the authorities, this involves transmitting their live TV from their Parents home over the internet via Skype, its a simple but effective way of watching your favorite Irish TV shows at a time that problem doesn't suit your or your parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Elmo wrote: »
    As you know many people have found a work around involving a cunning plan to deceive the authorities, this involves transmitting their live TV from their Parents home over the internet via Skype, its a simple but effective way of watching your favorite Irish TV shows at a time that problem doesn't suit your or your parents.

:D:D That's a new one on me! :D:D

People actually do this? :D

:D:D That's a new one on me! :D:D

People actually do this? :D

Yeah you just have to remember to bring the remote with you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because she gave her details to an inspector at an unlicenced property that had a TV. Mistake, but not correctable now.

Because she gave her details to an inspector at an unlicenced property that had a TV. Mistake, but not correctable now.

Would that mean she is liable to pay a license? Given that she didn't have a TV and i assume didn't state she did and further can show she wasn't even in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

She is not there now, but we are moving into a new place in November back in Ireland. Have sent them an email trying to explain the situation.

Again no problem paying the backdated 130, but the 160 for a new licence on a tv we dont own for the next 12 months seems madness.

My only issue there is they wont let us use the monthly direct debit for the new licence.

And that's after paying the 130. They need us to post them 130 plus evidence of a fully paid licence for the next 12 months for the court summons to be voided. All in her name

A bit of an odd process trying to talk through this with them tbh

Anyone else notice that the new Advert from the department is suggesting you must have a license no matter how you view the TV or from where.

Anyone else notice that the new Advert from the department is suggesting you must have a license no matter how you view the TV or from where.

It seems, according to the legislation, that receiving TV via any means might need a licence. See this discussion

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101158932&postcount=53

It seems, according to the legislation, that receiving TV via any means might need a licence. See this discussion

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101158932&postcount=53

I would question if it streaming is a broadcast service, why bring in the broadcast charge if the legislation covers all equipment? Clearly their is no difference to the broadcast charge or the licence fee in its current form.

None of the broadcasters provide a full live service online

• Registered Users Posts: 15,559 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I think there is an SI that clarifies the position in relation to streaming and the TV licence, basically it doesn't apply. A laptop/PC with an attached DVB tuner and aerial will require a licence.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    I think there is an SI that clarifies the position in relation to streaming and the TV licence, basically it doesn't apply. A laptop/PC with an attached DVB tuner and aerial will require a licence.

Thanks.

So the advert is wrong?

Well the government wouldn't mislead? would they? but seriously the Department shouldn't mislead, also why do they run the adverts and not An Post?

Presumably she didnt admit to being in posession of a TV set (since she wasnt) so why on earth are they going after her ? A good soliciter might be able to have this thrown out although a TV licence is probably cheaper.

This situation is a perfect example of why one should never give their name to a TV licence inspector whether they own a TV or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,559 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I would question if it streaming is a broadcast service, why bring in the broadcast charge if the legislation covers all equipment? ne

They would need to clearly define streaming. Does it include Netflix, Youtube or even Skype (when used with a webcam)

There is some confusion over the proposed broadcast charge (if its ever enacted which is far from certain) whether it will apply to all households or just those with specified equipment. Media reports and public statements on the proposal tend to be very contradictory

It would seem that they might only have to cancel that SI to bring all modes of reception under the licence, rather than do any great changes?

It would seem that they might only have to cancel that SI to bring all modes of reception under the licence, rather than do any great changes?

Yup that's the whole point of SI's they can easily be amended/updated/revoked without the hassle of getting primary legislation through the Oireachtas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Stasi 2.0 wrote:
    They would need to clearly define streaming. Does it include Netflix, Youtube or even Skype (when used with a webcam)

At one stage I think it meant streaming of "live" TV. i.e. as it is broadcast.
    YouTube etc wouldn't come under that definition.
    Since these channels are not TV channels as such, I presume they can be view without a licence.

Advertisement