Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence - ALL TV licence discussion/queries in this thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

Looked at a few threads, alot of arguments/discussion about whether monitors/computers are requiring of a licence

IF I have a laptop+monitor but 0 TV, and no tuner/anything else than can receive/decode traditional TV signals, then I dont need a licence, right?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭ps200306

valor wrote: »
    IF I have a laptop+monitor but 0 TV, and no tuner/anything else than can receive/decode traditional TV signals, then I dont need a licence, right?
    Correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

So currently don't have a TV, came home to a note, has the box ticked TV/aerial/satellite dish observed, there is a dish on the roof but it's rusted to bits, no way a TV was observed as despite there being no TV, the curtains were drawn.
    I dislike the wording of the note which threatens further action will be taken and they have put the onus on me to deal with it in 5 days, I rang them before when in the same situation previously, and they outright said everyone has a TV, were ignorant and hung up when I said I wouldn't provide my details as I had no TV at that time either. I stated this as it was accurate. years earlier I had previously dealt with them when I was sharing with others, I didn't have a TV but someone else did, I foolishly gave my name and I was hounded with threats and letters, so just won't provide them details ever since if in the same situation.

While I plan to ring them, from previous experience I know how it will go, I won't be around for days due to work, but I suspect they won't send someone to have a look when I say I'm available as there is no point in turning up when I won't be there, and I'm not waiting in on the off chance they may turn up. Is there another number than the blooming 1890 number they give aswell, which actually says it's for paying, no mention of the means to contact them if you don't have a TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭doxy

Okay, so you've probably heard every excuse under the sun regarding people not wanting to pay their licence, but this is genuine.

I've had a free to air satellite setup for the last few years (out of contract Sky system), and it stopped working during the summer. It's not a problem with the box, so it's the dish or LNB that's the problem, I imagine.

I haven't been able to afford to get someone out to fix it yet, and probably won't be able to until well into the new year. My TV licence expires in December and I really don't feel like renewing it when I haven't been able to switch the TV on in months (I don't have any other TV aerial on the roof with which to get terrestrial stations either).

I was planning on giving the TV to my parents until I can afford to get someone out to fix or replace the dish. If i were to go in to renew my licence 4 or 5 months after it expired, would they force you to pay a fee backdated to the expiry date of the previous licence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

If you were to renew in the circumstances listed, they may backdate it to your address using a demand posted to your house.

HOWEVER. If it was different circumstances where you go into the post office and you were to explain you just moved in as a renter, they give you a fresh licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

doxy wrote: »
    Okay, so you've probably heard every excuse under the sun regarding people not wanting to pay their licence, but this is genuine.

I've had a free to air satellite setup for the last few years (out of contract Sky system), and it stopped working during the summer. It's not a problem with the box, so it's the dish or LNB that's the problem, I imagine.

I haven't been able to afford to get someone out to fix it yet, and probably won't be able to until well into the new year. My TV licence expires in December and I really don't feel like renewing it when I haven't been able to switch the TV on in months (I don't have any other TV aerial on the roof with which to get terrestrial stations either).

I was planning on giving the TV to my parents until I can afford to get someone out to fix or replace the dish. If i were to go in to renew my licence 4 or 5 months after it expired, would they force you to pay a fee backdated to the expiry date of the previous licence?

In your situation I would be inclined to notify them that you had disposed of the TV and thus have no present need for a licence (do ensure the TV is gone of course).

Then maybe in six months time you can apply for a licence and if they should try to back date it you can refer to your notification.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

So, this is new to me - I just got a "statutory declaration" form in the post, with my name on it and all. Can they go to the PRTSB now to acquire this kind of information?

The tone is extremely threatening - basically "complete this and return within 28 days or else!", which is infuriating to the say the least. The assumption that everyone HAS to have a TV is stupid at best.

There's more - an interesting bit is added at the bottom:

"televison set" means any electronic apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction with it) and any software or assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus

This is awfully generic, especially the bit in Italics - where it tries to cover, I suspect, older TVs which now need Saorview boxes; The problem is that without too much stretching that covers any screen which can be connected to a DVB-T box...considering most PC screens have an HDMI connector (mine does), that would most definitely fall in the category.

It's beyond ridiculous...just put a fee on RTE and be done with it already - you don't pay, you don't get to...delight yourself with the rubbish they air.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    So, this is new to me - I just got a "statutory declaration" form in the post, with my name on it and all. Can they go to the PRTSB now to acquire this kind of information?

The tone is extremely threatening - basically "complete this and return within 28 days or else!", which is infuriating to the say the least. The assumption that everyone HAS to have a TV is stupid at best.

There's more - an interesting bit is added at the bottom:

"televison set" means any electronic apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction with it) and any software or assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus

This is awfully generic, especially the bit in Italics - where it tries to cover, I suspect, older TVs which now need Saorview boxes; The problem is that without too much stretching that covers any screen which can be connected to a DVB-T box...considering most PC screens have an HDMI connector (mine does), that would most definitely fall in the category.

It's beyond ridiculous...just put a fee on RTE and be done with it already - you don't pay, you don't get to...delight yourself with the rubbish they air.

Nothing new there at all.
    If you have a device (TV) or a combination of devices which together have the same capability, then you need a TV licence.

Nothing new there at all.
    If you have a device (TV) or a combination of devices which together have the same capability, then you need a TV licence.

Nope, but two PC screens with HDMI connections. I have no Saorview boxes laying around, but this poses a question - if say an old CRT TV, which is completely useless without a top box, must pay a license EVEN if you don't have a Saorview decoder, then a PC screen needs to pay it as well...just in terms of plain logic. Up until now I had never seen that specific wording.

Also, where the heck did they get my name?

Nope, but two PC screens with HDMI connections. I have no Saorview boxes laying around, but this poses a question - if say an old CRT TV, which is completely useless without a top box, must pay a license EVEN if you don't have a Saorview decoder, then a PC screen needs to pay it as well...just in terms of plain logic. Up until now I had never seen that specific wording.

Ahh. Your mistake there is using plain logic :P. That doesn't apply to TV licenses.

It may sound nuts but its true -- an old CRT TV with an analogue tuner that can't be used standalone is liable for the license, whereas your brand new HD-aware PC monitor is not, even if it could be plugged into an STB. Of course, if you had an STB that would be liable.

• Advertisement

The CRT TV is capable of receiving broadcasts, whether they exist or not. Thus it needs a licence.

A monitor is not capable, on its own, but if you posses a tuner dongle or such, then the combination requires a licence.

It really is quite simple and logical in that respect.

The CRT TV is capable of receiving broadcasts, whether they exist or not. Thus it needs a licence.

A monitor is not capable, on its own, but if you posses a tuner dongle or such, then the combination requires a licence.

It really is quite simple and logical in that respect.

I'm afraid it's not really that simple, this is the issue:

"whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction with it"

Technically speaking, a strict interpretation of the above is open to considering anything capable of displaying a moving picture and that is theoretically capable to attach to a tuner/decoder box, liable for payment of a TV license.

It really is very gray - so, say, one has a TV with the antenna socket completely removed and blanked out, or even the tuner completely removed (it can be done on some "apparatus", as they call it), it STILL is liable in their own saying as it'd be considered "broken" but "capable"...

Honestly, they should seriously just drop the fee on the electricity bill or in some other tax if they're so keen about getting it; I'd also be curious to know how much it costs to have "inspectors" going around peeking into people's houses and sending mafioso-style threatening paper mail, as opposed to the uptake of the fee...

I'm afraid it's not really that simple, this is the issue:

"whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction with it"

Technically speaking, a strict interpretation of the above is open to considering anything capable of displaying a moving picture and that is theoretically capable to attach to a tuner/decoder box, liable for payment of a TV license.

It really is very gray - so, say, one has a TV with the antenna socket completely removed and blanked out, or even the tuner completely removed (it can be done on some "apparatus", as they call it), it STILL is liable in their own saying as it'd be considered "broken" but "capable"...

You're making it more complicated than it is. The rules are not logical, but they are straightforward. A PC monitor is not an "electronic apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general reception". Yes it could be used in conjunction with something else, but the rules say nothing about that. They only say that the "electronic apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general reception" is liable whether or not it depends additionally on something else. This is to stop you saying you have a telly but no aerial etc. The PC monitor is not liable under any of the conditions so it is excluded. Not a grey area at all.

On the other hand, your idea of "anything capable of displaying a moving picture" is not even going far enough. "Exhibiting" doesn't necessarily mean being capable of showing a picture. A set-top-box with a tuner would be liable whether or not you have a screen to plug into it, as would a tuner card for a PC even if you only record to HD, because it is capable of receiving a live TV broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lost_n_found

Hi guys,
    I got the Television Licence Notice saying an ispector observed evidence of a tv set at the premises. The thing is 4 of us are renting this house as individuals sharing (not a family). The tv came with the house and none of us use it, it just sits in the living room (which we use for storing stuff and drying clothes etc) but it can be seen through the window. Now. This letter says further action will be taken if we don't purchase a licence immediately.
    As none of us owns the tv set, none of us watch tv programmes (and of course we don't have Sky, UPC anything) and none of us wants to pay the licence, can we just put the tv the hell away, call the inspector to have a look and and let us be? Or I just send them an e-mail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

The thing is 4 of us are renting this house as individuals sharing (not a family). The tv came with the house and none of us use it

It's not the posters to "get rid of"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Stasi 2.0 wrote: »
    It's not the posters to "get rid of"
    They are renting, so tell the Landlord to buy a licence or remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Might have been discussed now but it's a long thread so forgive me

I got the notice 28 days or else , the usual , if I get a new licence in my wife's name will they keep sending me letters ? Will I avoid backdating

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gezici

Hi,

Sorry if it's asked before but I couldn't find a definite answer.

I will move to a new house soon. It has this white UPC box on the wall. There is no set-top-box.
    I have a 27 inch monitor. no tuner input. Two hdmi inputs only.

Do i need to pay tv licence?

thanks,

gezici wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry if it's asked before but I couldn't find a definite answer.

I will move to a new house soon. It has this white UPC box on the wall. There is no set-top-box.
    I have a 27 inch monitor. no tuner input. Two hdmi inputs only.

Do i need to pay tv licence?

thanks,
    No, you have no equipment capable of receiving a broadcast TV signal, therefore no license needed. Aerials, sat dishes, cable connections etc. on their own don't count. In short: no tuner, no license.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gezici

What are you using the monitor for?

I have chromecast connected to monitor via hdmi. I use it for Netflix mainly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

I rent a house of an estate agent, moved in over Christmas and got a tenant for the spare room. A inspector called and my tenant answered give my name etc.. I haven't got a TV licence yet as am smashed with deposit and Christmas etc (but am aware I need one)

Anyway I got a letter in the post yesterday basically saying I have 7 days to get a licence or else they will start court proceedings! I get paid by the month and was due tax back this month which I was hoping to get licence out of! but told by tax office it wont be through till Marches pay! Surely to god you have more than 7 days! not everyone can drop €160 at 7 days notice! Is this just scare tactics or to you actually have a bit longer like final warnings etc

(By the way I also think its a disgrace of a charge but thats a an others days topic..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I presume you've had more than 7 days to get the licence. Its over 7 weeks since Christmas. If like me, you've been putting off buying it, its likely you've received more than one letter from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    I presume you've had more than 7 days to get the licence. Its over 7 weeks since Christmas. If like me, you've been putting off buying it, its likely you've received more than one letter from them.

Yeah Ive been putting it off as regards money.. But it just so happened the inspectors were around last couple of weeks. He told my tenant there never has been a TV license registered at the house which I find weird. Anyway first letter I got which was yesterday basically saying I have 7 days to get license or they will start court proceedings!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Yip

I recently cancelled my tv service and got rid of my tv.
    How do i cancel my tv licence or is it ok just to not pay it?
    I usually pay at the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Yip wrote: »
    I recently cancelled my tv service and got rid of my tv.
    How do i cancel my tv licence or is it ok just to not pay it?
    I usually pay at the post office.

You will be asked to complete a statutory declaration

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/More+from+An+Post/TV+Licence/TV+Licence+Forms.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MeeMoo

Hi,

I need your help .
    One of my friend moved out from Ireland and rented her property . Few days ago I met with her tenant to get some letters. One of the letter was about TV Licence on her name.
    She's not in that position to come to Ireland to cancel her tv licence . What i/she suppose to cancel her tv licence?
    Thank you in advance !

• Advertisement

Advertisement