Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence - ALL TV licence discussion/queries in this thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Dodkrake wrote: »
    I'm not sure you fully read what I mentioned. I'm in an hostel, temporary accomodation. Also, the full house is shared by about 30 people, some that have been there for more than 2 years and haven't got a notification for a TV license. Finally, they have my name, which breaches the Data Protection laws in Ireland as I never provided an post with my details. Why would I need to have a TV license in this particular case? That's what I'm trying to understand. Also, since my license would cover the whole house, why do I need to pay for it when everyone else has got a TV and no notification on it?

Edit: Called the services, the house has got a TV license so I don't need to pay. The owner pays it and it covers the whole area.

I guess you are sorted then. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

How do the TV licence record office / an post get your name to address a declaration letter to you personally at an address?

Surely getting info by those means violated data protection of some kind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Surely getting info by those means violated data protection of some kind?

https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Guidance-Note-for-Data-Controllers-on-Keeping-Personal-Data-Obtained-From-the-Electoral-Register-Up-to-date/872.htm

Are you on the electoral register ? checktheregister.ie

If not well.....they wouldnt, would they ? Nah...:pac:

STB. wrote: »
    https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Guidance-Note-for-Data-Controllers-on-Keeping-Personal-Data-Obtained-From-the-Electoral-Register-Up-to-date/872.htm

Are you on the electoral register ? checktheregister.ie

If not well.....they wouldnt, would they ? Nah...:pac:

Surely not :pac: Yeah, I'm on the register.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

How do the TV licence record office / an post get your name to address a declaration letter to you personally at an address?

In any case its called the EirCode. All properties can be located.

Dear Household,

We note that a TV licence is not present at this EirCode address!

Regards,

Just one more thing ....

Please reply to this notice with your name!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

So the TV licence inspector called around yesterday evening at 8pm.

I answered the door to a man in trekkies and was first shown an ID, was told who they were, and was asked "Do you have a TV at this address"?
    I said no, and he went back to looking down at his papers. Meanwhile Netflix is blaring out of the sitting room. He said that he saw that we didn't have a licence registered for this address. While he was still looking down, he asked me what my name was. I said "no" and proceeded to close the door.

Anybody know what their next move after that typically is?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭PraxisPete

McHardcore wrote: »

I answered the door to a man in trekkies and was first shown an ID, was told who they were, and was asked "Do you have a TV at this address"?
    I said no, and he went back to looking down at his papers. Meanwhile Netflix is blaring out of the sitting room. He said that he saw that we didn't have a licence registered for this address. While he was still looking down, he asked me what my name was. I said "no" and proceeded to close the door.

He'll probably call back. No name no game for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Nothing more will happen. They're onto the next road the next day with a new list. You're under no obligation to answer any questions let alone open the door to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

naasrd wrote: »
    Nothing more will happen. They're onto the next road the next day with a new list. You're under no obligation to answer any questions let alone open the door to them.

If the inspector thinks he has evidence there is a TV then they will attempt to get a name and issue a notice. Even if they didn't hear a TV they assume everyone has a TV unless you make a statement otherwise. The difference between the 2 here is that the inspector has good reason to believe there is a TV so they will step up the procedure. It'll still be slow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

So I have an update for you guys. Last week I received a letter from An Post in an post titled to "The Occupier".

It is titled "SEARCH WARRANT NOTICE".

"Dear Sir/Madam A Television Licence Inspector visited the above address in order to ascertain if there was a Television Set on the premises under Section 146 (4) of the Broadcasting Act 2009*. The Inspector received no co-operation when visiting the premises. In such circumstances such as those where an Inspector has grounds to believe that there is an unlicensed television set / apparatus on the premises he/she is authorised to obtain a Search Warrant to assist his/her enquiries under Schedule 2 Section 8-1 of the Broadcasting Act 2009*........"

I guess this is a continuation of scare tactics?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭styo

So, if you don't have a tv all good. If you do, at this point you'd be advised to get rid of it, because they have you.

If you watch Netflix to a tv you still need a license. The determining question is whether the panel was sold as a tv, and includes hardware to decode any form of tv signal, whether rte broadcasts it or not.

There are a new line of panels being sold by companies such as Vizio on the states that are sometimes called monitors or "tunerless TVs". You would not need to license these.

I have heard rumour of a case where an individual in a midlands court successfully defended an action where he claimed he did not need a tcd license for a tv as he had no connecting equipment capable of receiving a signal and passing to his tv, which was used solely as a monitor. But I've no concrete evidence that this is true.

So, if you have a tv, my advice is get rid of it.

So I have an update for you guys. Last week I received a letter from An Post in an post titled to "The Occupier".

It is titled "SEARCH WARRANT NOTICE".

"In such circumstances such as those where an Inspector has grounds to believe that there is an unlicensed television set / apparatus on the premises he/she is authorised to obtain a Search Warrant to assist his/her enquiries under Schedule 2 Section 8-1 of the Broadcasting Act 2009*........"

The above is just waffle, bin it. Badly written waffle too.

• Advertisement

Proves nothing. Try using the voting register as proof of address, indeed try voting with just polling card.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭styo

That sounds like the case I was told about. Its interesting because the advice provided by government on the legislation, and the advice provided to me by an post, is that if the set was sold as a tv, and sold capable of receiving the signal, then it must be licensed even if the set has been modified to be incapable of receiving a signal, the rational being that it could be returned to its original state.

Clearly though, this case puts doubt on that interpretation.

Do you have any further details? It would I suggest be worth putting this case to the licensing authority for comment. It either renders the position of the licensing authority incorrect, or its subject to appeal etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭westcork67

Moved into a house and did not pay TV licence for the last couple of years - I have decided to regularise this and start paying but do not want to have to pay for the previous couple of years - if I go through the online process using first time purchase do they look back at previous years or are they just happy to get the money from me for this year and going forward

Sorry wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭ps200306

westcork67 wrote: »
    Moved into a house and did not pay TV licence for the last couple of years - I have decided to regularise this and start paying but do not want to have to pay for the previous couple of years - if I go through the online process using first time purchase do they look back at previous years or are they just happy to get the money from me for this year and going forward

If you do a "first time purchase" you are telling them that you didn't have a TV previously. They have no reason or evidence on which to question this if you haven't had any visits from a license inspector. When I bought my first time license (in a physical post office) nobody asked "and what about previous years" ... though the post master did say to me in a sly voice that there was no going back once they had your address, as if to suggest I should consider being a dodger.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gzckrg

Hi all,

I had a letter (kind of a postcard actually) from tv licence inspector. It looks like a standard letter saying that they tried to visit me but they couldn't. I think TV set/satellite dish is observed box is marked on the letter. I am not sure about that because he marked a small sign below the box but not on the box. Also the letter was addressed to previous tenant, not to me but it's my address.

I live in an apartment at 4th floor and there is no antenna or anything in the balcony. I don't have any TV. There is only an NTL box on the wall. Not sure what it's for but it has two connections written TV and FM.

So my question is: should i reply them back saying i don't have any tv set, or do nothing since the letter is not under my name? Or do i actually need to pay tv licence fee?

thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 gzckrg

it was just a plain post card with the information written on it. I didn't open anything.

Advertisement