Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence - ALL TV licence discussion/queries in this thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gzckrg

thanks. And what do you think about the licence fee. Do i need to pay it because of the NTL box on the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would respond to the card ...... telling them that the addressee is not known at this address.

Also state there is no TV at the address and sign it as 'occupier'.

Without a response they will keep chasing at the address looking for the previous tenant and his licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

gzckrg wrote: »
    thanks. And what do you think about the licence fee. Do i need to pay it because of the NTL box on the wall?

No. The licence is for a TV, working or non working.
    Do nothing if you want or return the card as advised if you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JaneR5

Here’s the exact breakdown:
    RTÉ One – €58.01
    RTÉ Two – €31.21
    RTÉ Radio One – €13.40
    RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta – €8.33
    RTÉ Lyric FM – €4.79
    RTÉ Performing Groups – €9.26
    RTÉ Support for TG4 – €6.39
    Broadcasting Authority of Ireland levy – €1.75
    TG4 Deduction – €6.71
    BCI Sound and Vision fund – €10.53
    Collection Costs from An Post/Communications and Social Protection Departments – €9.62

• Advertisement

Don't think its fair to be forced to pay for something we don't want to use they should privatised it and let people choose whether they want to subscribe I don't have any tv subscription kids use tv for video games but we still have to pay for something we can't afford its scandalous paying for their high wages and biased talk shows there should be a referendum on the tv license

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

JaneR5 wrote: »
    Here’s the exact breakdown:
    RTOne – €58.01
    RTTwo – €31.21
    RTRadio One – €13.40
    RTRaidi Gaeltachta – €8.33
    RTLyric FM – €4.79
    RTPerforming Groups – €9.26
    RTSupport for TG4 – €6.39
    Broadcasting Authority of Ireland levy – €1.75
    TG4 Deduction – €6.71
    BCI Sound and Vision fund – €10.53
    Collection Costs from An Post/Communications and Social Protection Departments – €9.62

So 2 FM gets nothing? So it's making money then? The wedge that RnG gets is notable when one considers it's audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/tv-licence-model-broken-with-evasion-at-14-6-pac-told-1.3286154

What a mess. And I pay my TV licence.

The system is broken and a level playing field must prevail for all. I resent having to pay when others claim it doesn't apply to them and boast about default.

The Minister must act now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/tv-licence-model-broken-with-evasion-at-14-6-pac-told-1.3286154

What a mess. And I pay my TV licence.

The system is broken and a level playing field must prevail for all. I resent having to pay when others claim it doesn't apply to them and boast about default.

The Minister must act now.

A lot of people do not have a TV and the license fee doesn't apply to them, but they are lumped in as "evaders".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

The license is for "television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal" so if one's setup allows them to receive a TV signal regardless of whether they use a TV or monitor, they need a TV license.

What would be interesting is to see the definition of "television signal" would having a mobile phone capable of installing the RTE app be considered receiving a TV signal?

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

All of which illustrates why the licence must be binned and a "data tax" be introduced this could be slung onto the property tax as far as I'm concerned. Easy to administer.

All of which illustrates why the licence must be binned and a "data tax" be introduced this could be slung onto the property tax as far as I'm concerned. Easy to administer.

I would have a preference to its addition to a utility bill such as the electricity bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I would have a preference to its addition to a utility bill such as the electricity bill.

Add it to the property tax, revenue have a good record of collecting, any defaulting then recovered when property is sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Add it to nothing! Make it a pay for use service. You don't use it... you don't pay. If their content was decent, surely people would pay. Are they saying that their output wouldn't attract viewers? ;)

They still have a huge income from advertising. If they are struggling, they should reduce payments to their "stars". No way in hell are Tubs and Darcy worth a half a million each.

The idea that pay cuts is going to fix RTE's income is laughable. It makes a good headline but really if you slashed everyone who is on 100k or more by 50% it would reduce the bill by a few million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

The idea that pay cuts is going to fix RTE's income is laughable. It makes a good headline but really if you slashed everyone who is on 100k or more by 50% it would reduce the bill by a few million.
    You know the old saying: look after the pennies...

What about my first suggestion then? Pay per view. I reckon that they know they'd have feck all viewers if they went that route, so they'll still try to follow the "screw everyone" model.

PPV clearly is not going to work either, I'd get rid of the orchestras and choirs first - €15m. If the Dept of arts and cultural stuff wants them they can fund them out of income tax.

Falcon L wrote: »
    Add it to nothing! Make it a pay for use service. You don't use it... you don't pay. If their content was decent, surely people would pay. Are they saying that their output wouldn't attract viewers? ;)

They still have a huge income from advertising. If they are struggling, they should reduce payments to their "stars". No way in hell are Tubs and Darcy worth a half a million each.

You seem not to realise that the licence fee is NOT a payment for service.

If you want PPV then that would be in addition to the licence fee, just like you might pay Netflix for its content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Let those who want to watch rte pay for it. Those that don't should be left alone.
    I pay the licence every year. Don't have Rte don't watch tv as such. Mostly box sets and occasionally Netflix (that probably counts as tv!
    Makes my heart warm to think my 160 euro is keeping those presenters in rte in the high earning talentless bracket.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Falcon L wrote: »

They are hamstrung by regulations that favour TV3 and harm RTE.

1. They run four channels two of which are in HD. TV3 run three channels - none of which is in HD.

2. RTE are restricted on RTE NN to having no paid advertising, and on RTE Jr no advertising. On the balance of that channel they are restricted to RTE 1+1, a time delay version that adds no advertising revenue. So 50% of their channels are non-advertising.

3. TV3 are allowed twice as many minutes of advertising per hour than RTE.

4. RTE are subject to Ministerial approval for schedule changes. No such restrictions apply to TV3.

5. RTE are obliged to provide cultural programmes and other activities, such as running two orchestras, and other performing groups. [The RTÉ Performing Groups are made up of the RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra, the RTÉ Concert Orchestra, the RTÉ Vanbrugh Quartet, the RTÉ Philharmonic Choir and the children's choir RTÉ Cór na nÓg]

So TV3 are allowed a free pass and RTE are closely controlled yet expected to quality programmes on a tight budget. Now they may have a generous attitude towards their 'stars' but in terms of their total budget, that is small potatoes. Currently they are selling the family silver to pay redundancy and day to day expenses. That cannot last.

The cost of running Saorview is €12 m per year of which RTE pay €8m /year instead of a more equitable cost of €6m if they were to restrict themselves to one mux and leave TV3 and TG4 pay for the second one. If TV3 and TG4 were to pay the full price of mux 2, they would go HD immediately because they could and at a cost of slightly more than they currently pay. Why is this not done?

The OTV channel was kept from Saorview, but paid for on Sky - why? Because the Oreachtas refused to pay RTE a red cent for it.

If you do not travel on a bus or a train, you are paying a subsidy to CIE through your taxes but not benefiting from it, so why not complain about that - it is much more money than the TV licence?

Put it on the Lecky bill, no-one can dodge that. Even €12 or €13 a month would cover it when you remove the avoiders and An Post from the total.

You know it makes sense.

Boo hoo I have no interest or sympathy for Rte and they're budget my priority is feeding my family I'm not dodging anything and its offensive to be called an evader

Maybe you don't realise it should be a choice to subscribe to Rte not forced on people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Maybe you don't realise it should be a choice to subscribe to Rte not forced on people

The licence fee is not for watching RTE. Its for processing equipment capable of receiving television broadcasts, regardless of which station you watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

The property tax details might have no bearing on who has a tv at an address, it's a short sighted to arbitrarily apply it that way, it looks like they will find some excuse to bill people who don't watch rte anyway, I'd planned on getting a monitor and not paying again, having not watched rte in years I consider it reasonable to not pay for something I don't use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

The property tax details might have no bearing on who has a tv at an address, it's a short sighted to arbitrarily apply it that way, it looks like they will find some excuse to bill people who don't watch rte anyway, I'd planned on getting a monitor and not paying again, having not watched rte in years I consider it reasonable to not pay for something I don't use.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Boo hoo I have no interest or sympathy for Rte and they're budget my priority is feeding my family I'm not dodging anything and its offensive to be called an evader

I referred to 'avoiders' not 'evaders'.

RTE need to improve their management performance and they need to deflate the bubble they live in. However, they have a significant effect on Irish culture, mostly to the good.

Do you visit the National Gallery, or the National Museum? Thy are free entry and worth visiting. You taxes pay for them.

I don't watch RTE either beyond news and the odd game but I do listen to the radio. Someone needs to pay for it and a pick and choose approach will weaken native media and when that happens others will fill the void.

Not sure we really want TV3 as the nations primary news and current affairs outlet.

• Advertisement

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    The licence fee is not for watching RTE. Its for processing equipment capable of receiving television broadcasts, regardless of which station you watch.

The license fee goes to Rte if you look at the breakdown previously posted I don't use any of Rte s service nor is my TV soar view ready sky aren't looking for money off me because I have a TV that" could "be used to watch a sky subscription people shouldn't be forced to fund Rte

Advertisement