Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence - ALL TV licence discussion/queries in this thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

65535 wrote: »
    We already pay for Water - a full payment - go to your tap - you will see.

We already pay for Insurance - so as people can fall off swings.

We already pay for TV - most of us are forced to pay for RTÉ State Pravda

We already pay for Motor Tax - which in turn also pays for the laughing yoga quango - yes you know the one.

Well, the Gardai have roadside checks for tax and ins (and NCT) and catch a lot of people who do not pay for these. The Gardai then seize the car, and let the occupants find their own way home.

We pay for water through general taxation, but quite a few people were against paying a usage charge for water, even to the extent of physically preventing water meters being installed. The same people were against bin charges, but they appear to pay them. (Well, there are some who dump their waste in the countryside, but you can approve of that, can you?)

Do you want RTE to turn into the type of TV station that is Fox News?

If the Broadcasting Fee was universal, and raised a similar amount, it could be reduced to about €120 to €140 a year, depending on the current evasion rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

We already pay for Water - a full payment - go to your tap - you will see.

We already pay for Insurance - so as people can fall off swings.

We already pay for TV - most of us are forced to pay for RTÉ State Pravda

We already pay for Motor Tax - which in turn also pays for the laughing yoga quango - yes you know the one.

So basically you want services but no taxes? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭65535

What part of 'we already pay' do you not understand ?

When my parents (God rest them) were alive they had to pay rates, those rates were abolished and the payments were taken from the newly formed Value Added Tax (VAT) - I don't remember any reduction in VAT or any rebate forthcoming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

I recently got a letter threatening me that a search warrant was imminent ( if I didn’t pay my tv licence I guess)
    This was above and beyond anything I’d ever heard of.

I had been summoned to court a few years back for no tv licence.
    The letters had my surname wrong. Let’s say it was Curran when It should have been Cullen. I tried repeatedly to let an post know I don’t have a tv. You’re sending me letters with a different name on it. They didn’t respond.

Went to court on the day anyways just out of fear and sat listening to a licence inspector lie to the court saying he saw a tv in my house and I couldn't produce a licence when asked.
    He did knock that day. I told him we don’t have a tv. I didn’t give him my name and closed the door.

Cut back to the court room I was able to show the judge the many emails I’d sent an post, with no reply, also pointed out that they’d somehow gotten my name wrong but how did they even have my name?

Judge threw it out there and then.

That was three years ago or so. Now I’m getting search warrant threats? From an post? I sent them a polite enough reply telling them they can come round and search the house any time they want to. They’ll find no tv and then I’ll present them with the ‘go fvck yourselves’ muffins I’d made specially for them:)

So how is this new regime going to work? I’d happily pay it if it meant quality broadcasting. Not to single him out but we have Ryan Tubridy on a salary over €9000 a week. Nine thousand euros. a week.

I’d pay twice that to have zig and zag and Bosco host the late late in future. They’d be better suited to it.
    But
    Pic attached of the ‘search warrant notice’

Tubridy-€495,000 pa
    Trump - $400,000 pa
    Varadkar - €185,350 pa

I reckon you made a mistake by corresponding/replying to them. I gave the Inspector a different surname then got a letter with said surname that I didn't reply to, Then a registered letter sheet came with my correct surname and when I checked a tracking number I realised the letter was from an area suspiciously close to where the Inspector operates from thus I never walked into their trap by collecting or signing for that letter and haven't heard from them in 4 yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

What part of 'we already pay' do you not understand ?

When my parents (God rest them) were alive they had to pay rates, those rates were abolished and the payments were taken from the newly formed Value Added Tax (VAT) - I don't remember any reduction in VAT or any rebate forthcoming.

Do "we" already pay for TV licence? From what you have said, you don't. So it's up to the rest of us to pay instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭65535

Never once did I say I did or have not paid for a TV licence.
    But since you have somehow misconstrued what I have said - I actually do have a TV licence, against my better judgement.
    The TV is still in the house but we no longer use it.
    €160 dated the 30th May 2019 - It hangs up in the hall so when the bully boys arrive I can show it to them.
    If you really want I can send you a picture of it but I'm sure you can buy your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

According to this "idiot's guide", the proposed charge may, in theory, be avoided if the household has no access to TV at all - whether it's by traditional means or by internet streaming.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/qa-who-what-and-how-much-an-idiots-guide-to-the-new-broadcasting-charge-38370889.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

According to this "idiot's guide", the proposed charge may, in theory, be avoided if the household has no access to TV at all - whether it's by traditional means or by internet streaming.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/qa-who-what-and-how-much-an-idiots-guide-to-the-new-broadcasting-charge-38370889.html
    In theory, if you do not have any device in the house that can access an internet TV stream or a terrestrial television service, you may still legally avoid the broadcasting charge.

I wonder what happens when an inspector calls (if they still require them), if I have no legal obligation to pay the licence (basic mobile phone, not smart phone, like that last Nokia phone), and someone visits, for a day or a week or whatever, and they have tablets, phones etc with them?
    If this is essentially tied to the premises and not mobile with users, then also all Summer homes, (what about glamping?), and other temporary/holiday locations should be licenced?

They have a lot to sort out ..... particularly all the edge cases it will throw up.
    No wonder they have said 'in 5 years time' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Debunks the fable that if more people are paying the planed new charge individual cost will decrease compared to the existing licence, straight from the minister’s mouth: “Communications Minister Richard Bruton says there are no current plans to change it from €160.”.

At the end of the day, all this is about getting more money mostly for RTÉ without increasing the individual licence cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Another method of collecting the charge is by using ESB Networks - If there is an ESB connection, then the charge is on the bill. €160 per year is €13.34 per month, which is not huge. If the customer gets the SW electricity allowance, then the charge would be waived.

It is simple, the ESB charge rests with the resident, be it an owner or a tenant, and payment is difficult to avoid.

Simples.

That will be an extra 40 euro per bill though which is actually pretty substantial, especially considering that we already pay so much for the ESB, and VAT on it.

This could lead to customers having trouble paying their ESB bill and then potentially getting their electricity cut off due to the broadcasting charge, which would be quite disgusting IMO.

What really annoys me as well about that idea is Dee Forbes saying that in other countries that add it to utilities the compliance is so high that they were able to lower the fee.

How bloody stupid do they think we are? That will never happen here, the fee will only ever go up just like everything else in this country, especially if a private company is involved.

I'm very opposed to it being added to utilities, let them try and collect it by sending people around and see how they get on. This plan to make it impossible to opt out of and collected automatically means its a tax.

The press photo of Bruton wearing a sh!t eating grin holding a laptop and mobile makes my blood boil as well. But we got complacent after the water charge and with the 'recovery'. If we still kept this crowd in despite them doing nothing about the housing crisis we'll hardly do much over this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Buteo Buteo

Got a letter today from the tv licence office saying an inspector called and that there is no record of a licence on their database.

The fact is I signed a statutory declaration in March 2018 saying I don't have a tv at this address.

From what others on here have said, they don't seem to take no for an answer.

Anyway, in the meantime, I've been wondering if there is any way a laptop could be classified as a "television set"? If the laptop is CAPABLE of having something like a tv card or receiver box attached to it, would you then be required to have a licence?

The rules seem less than clearcut. I remember ringing my local tv licence office last year and asking them about a laptop. They didn't know and the woman I spoke to had to ask her boss and ring me back. The conclusion: I didn't need a licence. But the more I read about this on line, the less clear the rules are.

I saw this on the Dept's website:

Do I require a TV Licence for a computer which can access television-like services (e.g. the RTÉ Player or streaming services)?

No. So long as the computer is unable to display television channels distributed by conventional television broadcasting networks (i.e cable, satillite, IPTV, analogue terrestrial, digital terrestrial or MMDS) e.g. using a television tuner card or similar device, then there is no requirement to hold a Television Licence.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/broadcasting-media/tv-licence/Pages/TV-Licence-FAQs.aspx#Do%20I%20require%20a%20TV%20Licence%20for%20a%20computer%20which%20can%20access%20television-like%20services%20%28e.g.%20the%20RT%c3%89%20Player%20or%20streaming%20services%29?

Does anyone know what IPTV and MMDS are?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Got a letter today from the tv licence office saying an inspector called and that there is no record of a licence on their database.

The fact is I signed a statutory declaration in March 2018 saying I don't have a tv at this address.

From what others on here have said, they don't seem to take no for an answer.

Anyway, in the meantime, I've been wondering if there is any way a laptop could be classified as a "television set"? If the laptop is CAPABLE of having something like a tv card or receiver box attached to it, would you then be required to have a licence?

The rules seem less than clearcut. I remember ringing my local tv licence office last year and asking them about a laptop. They didn't know and the woman I spoke to had to ask her boss and ring me back. The conclusion: I didn't need a licence. But the more I read about this on line, the less clear the rules are.

As long as your laptop doesn’t have a built in TV tuner and isn’t connected to a an external device with a terrestrial, satellite or cable tuner, it doesn’t require a licence.

If you have on the premises, sufficient hardware that provides capability to receive, tune in and display the broadcasts then you need a licence, even if they are not presently connected.

So if you have a laptop, and a DVB-T USB dongle, then you would need a licence.

IPTV ...... Internet Protocol Television ...... I do not understand why this is mentioned

MMDS .... Multichannel Multipoint Distribution Service ...... cable TV over the air

MMDS is no longer used in Ireland I believe although you can still see old aerials on roofs from when it was used.

IPTV ... I fail to see how a tuner is required to receive a broadcast channel when using IPTV, but maybe my view is too limited.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I saw this on the Dept's website:

Do I require a TV Licence for a computer which can access television-like services (e.g. the RTÉ Player or streaming services)?

No. So long as the computer is unable to display television channels distributed by conventional television broadcasting networks (i.e cable, satillite, IPTV, analogue terrestrial, digital terrestrial or MMDS) e.g. using a television tuner card or similar device, then there is no requirement to hold a Television Licence.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/broadcasting-media/tv-licence/Pages/TV-Licence-FAQs.aspx#Do%20I%20require%20a%20TV%20Licence%20for%20a%20computer%20which%20can%20access%20television-like%20services%20%28e.g.%20the%20RT%c3%89%20Player%20or%20streaming%20services%29?

MMDS means you have an external satellite dish sized wire mesh dish or panel pointing horizontally.

IPTV I'd imagine it would be watching live TV on a service like http://www.aertv.ie/channels/

I defy you to find a modern laptop or tablet incapable of watching live TV over the internet when you use the right software. But they do say using specific hardware so maybe.

Bob24 wrote: »
    As long as your laptop doesn’t have a built in TV tuner and isn’t connected to a an external device with a terrestrial, satellite or cable tuner, it doesn’t require a licence.

I don't think it has any of those.

The only reference to tv or television in the product specs is "HDMI with 3D TV support". If I understand it correctly, that is one of the ports which can be used to connect to a tv monitor, but I don't have a television monitor nor have I signed up for tv service.

I think 3d tv are services you have to sign up and pay for, and possibly get a transmission box of some sort to access them. I think the key is in the word "support". I'm not tech savvy so I would appreciate other people's opinions on this.

If you have on the premises, sufficient hardware that provides capability to receive, tune in and display the broadcasts then you need a licence, even if they are not presently connected.

So if you have a laptop, and a DVB-T USB dongle, then you would need a licence.

IPTV ...... Internet Protocol Television ...... I do not understand why this is mentioned

MMDS .... Multichannel Multipoint Distribution Service ...... cable TV over the air

MMDS is no longer used in Ireland I believe although you can still see old aerials on roofs from when it was used.

IPTV ... I fail to see how a tuner is required to receive a broadcast channel when using IPTV, but maybe my view is too limited.

I don't have any external dongles or tv cards. I explained to the tv licence people last year that the only tv I can access is RTÉ Player and they said I don't need a licence for that. I know the rules on this will change in 2024 but the government haven't worked out the exact details yet, from what I have read in the media at least.

MMDS means you have an external satellite dish sized wire mesh dish or panel pointing horizontally.

IPTV I'd imagine it would be watching live TV on a service like http://www.aertv.ie/channels/

I defy you to find a modern laptop or tablet incapable of watching live TV over the internet when you use the right software. But they do say using specific hardware so maybe.

This is the relevant S.I. here: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/si/319/made/en/print

It hasn't been amended since so it still applies. Still not entirely sure whether or not it applies to laptops. I'm guessing no. The screen size seems to be key here. My screen size is 15.6 inches. I think that's diagonally across the screen and not the total area.

So I'm wondering now what I should do? I've worked out the screen size (not including the black edge) at 34.5 cm X 19.5cm2 which gives an area of 672.75 cm2, well in excess of the 160cm2 quoted in the S.I. but I'm not entirely sure whether or not I have a device "capable of displaying television channels (e.g. RTÉ Two, TV3, TG4, BBC One, 3e) distributed by conventional broadcast networks (e.g. cable, satellite, IPTV, analogue terrestrial, digital terrestrial or MMDS) using a television tuner card or related device".

I suppose the device might be CAPABLE of being attached to an external tuner card which would appear to require a licence. But the S.I. doesn't clarify whether the "television tuner card or related device" has to be internal or external to the device. It appears to cover both. But I'm not a lawyer.

And it seems to be a waste of time asking the tv licence people themselves; they don't seem to know. I spoke to a few people in the tv licence office last year, including an inspector, and he wasn't too sure himself. They went away to ask their superiors and got back to me and told me that I didn't need a licence for now but that I should keep an eye out for media reports as the rules were due to be changed.

So I'm wondering now what I should do? I've worked out the screen size (not including the black edge) at 34.5 cm X 19.5cm2 which gives an area of 672.75 cm2, well in excess of the 160cm2 quoted in the S.I. but I'm not entirely sure whether or not I have a device "capable of displaying television channels (e.g. RTÉ Two, TV3, TG4, BBC One, 3e) distributed by conventional broadcast networks (e.g. cable, satellite, IPTV, analogue terrestrial, digital terrestrial or MMDS) using a television tuner card or related device".

I suppose the device might be CAPABLE of being attached to an external tuner card which would appear to require a licence. But the S.I. doesn't clarify whether the "television tuner card or related device" has to be internal or external to the device. It appears to cover both. But I'm not a lawyer.

And it seems to be a waste of time asking the tv licence people themselves; they don't seem to know. I spoke to a few people in the tv licence office last year, including an inspector, and he wasn't too sure himself. They went away to ask their superiors and got back to me and told me that I didn't need a licence for now but that I should keep an eye out for media reports as the rules were due to be changed.

Unless you presently have the capability to receive the broadcasts, with any combination of devices in your possession, you do not need a licence.

Certainly I have lots of monitors which if I got a tuner device to attach to them would be capable, but presently they are not.
    Same applies to a laptop I have here, and a desktop.

But because I have on the premises a tuner-server device supplying the broadcast channels on the LAN, to which my PC or laptop can connect, then I require a licence.

• Advertisement

Unless you presently have the capability to receive the broadcasts, with any combination of devices in your possession, you do not need a licence.

Certainly I have lots of monitors which if I got a tuner device to attach to them would be capable, but presently they are not.
    Same applies to a laptop I have here, and a desktop.

But because I have on the premises a tuner-server device supplying the broadcast channels on the LAN, to which my PC or laptop can connect, then I require a licence.

Thanks, Johnboy.

I reckon you're right. I can't see how my laptop could be set up to receive a conventional television signal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This is the relevant S.I. here: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/si/319/made/en/print

It hasn't been amended since so it still applies. Still not entirely sure whether or not it applies to laptops. I'm guessing no. The screen size seems to be key here. My screen size is 15.6 inches. I think that's diagonally across the screen and not the total area.

160 square centimetres.
    call it 16cm x 10 cm and which would be about 19 cm diagonal 7.4"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

My mate doesn’t have a tv but watches all her shows Netflix etc on a projector onto a huge screen.

Is this included in this new legislation?

My mate doesn’t have a tv but watches all her shows Netflix etc on a projector onto a huge screen.

My understanding is that the new rules will be introduced in 2024; the exact details haven't been worked out yet.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/tv-licence-fee-overhaul-what-will-it-mean-for-you-1.3975316

I was told that if the signal is via the internet through a broadband modem, you don't need a licence at the moment.

I don't have Netflix and I don't know it works. If in doubt, ring the tv licence office and ask them.

Nobody knows as the legislation has not been written yet ..... there are proposals which would probably mean that any inhabited premises will need to make their contribution ..... but that is just my guess :D

Nobody knows as the legislation has not been written yet ..... there are proposals which would probably mean that any inhabited premises will need to make their contribution ..... but that is just my guess :D

I live in a rented house. We don’t have a tv. There’s a rusted satellite stuck on the chimney (see pic attached). The Wire is clearly cut out front. I’m still getting search warrant threats about a licence.

When and however this new legislation forms, they need to take a new approach rather than threatening people over devices they don’t actually own or have in their homes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I live in a rented house. We don’t have a tv. There’s a rusted satellite stuck on the chimney (see pic attached). The Wire is clearly cut out front. I’m still getting search warrant threats about a licence.

When and however this new legislation forms, they need to take a new approach rather than threatening people over devices they don’t actually own or have in their homes

It appears that they are taking a new approach ie. charging every house a broadcasting tax. They won't care if you have one device, ten devices or none.

If it goes as I expect then you will pay as will everyone, unless you get approved for non-payment, which would probably mean being subject to irregular checks that your circumstances have not changed.
    I very much doubt any new scheme introduced will be dependent on any hardware or software, but will be a household-type charge, regardless what they call it.

elperello wrote: »
    It appears that they are taking a new approach ie. charging every house a broadcasting tax. They won't care if you have one device, ten devices or none.

No legal expert but in that situation it goes to court as it does now and it should be up to the agency running this for the government to prove the person has such a device in their possession rather than the occupier of the house proving they don’t.

• Advertisement

Originally Posted by elperello
    No legal expert but in that situation it goes to court as it does now and it should be up to the agency running this for the government to prove the person has such a device in their possession rather than the occupier of the house proving they don’t.

In that situation there will be no requirement to have a device of any particular specification.

You will pay unless you get approved to not contribute, and if your circumstances change you might well have to pay then.

Advertisement