Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vanilla Sugar

Options
  • 10-01-2010 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone know if you can buy Vanilla Sugar in Ireland and if so where?

Used to use it in Germany the whole time mixing it with whipped cream etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Any central/eastern european shop should stock it, it's usually the Dr. Oetker brand. You could also just throw a few split & scraped vanilla pods into a jar of caster sugar (1 pod per 1 lb sugar is good) and leave it for about 1-2 weeks, topping it up as necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Thanks, will try get it in the eastern european shops then.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Tesco Finest range do it.Saw it in the Baggot Street branch in Dublin on friday :)

mrsberries wrote: »
    Tesco Finest range do it.Saw it in the Baggot Street branch in Dublin on friday :)
    Excellent, thanks. I am just about to go to Tesco anyway so will take a look there.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Sorry its not the Finest range, but the new fancy baking/cooking section :rolleyes: Saw it in the Jervis Centre branch too today.

• Advertisement

mrsberries wrote: »
    Sorry its not the Finest range, but the new fancy baking/cooking section :rolleyes: Saw it in the Jervis Centre branch too today.
    Was just in clarehall Tesco and couldn't find any there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

It's part of the 'Ingredients' range so it's not with all the sugar

073570.jpg

very expensive is the only thing, I think it's close to €6 a jar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

As said before, just get vanilla pods or use scraped ones with caster sugar in a jar, works a treat and is way cheaper. You can leave the pods in as well. Much better also as it is entirely natural rather than the artificial vanillin aroma used in the vanilla sugar sachets.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭anigheh

Yes, Tesco do have vanilla sugar in stock saw it in the bakery section in their Birr store on Saturday its easy to miss it only has one facing low down on a section I would suggest asking a member of staff. Alternatively have seen vanilla pods in Aldi very reasonably priced at 99c if im not mistaken look near the herbs over freezers.

anigheh wrote: »
    Yes, Tesco do have vanilla sugar in stock saw it in the bakery section in their Birr store on Saturday its easy to miss it only has one facing low down on a section I would suggest asking a member of staff. Alternatively have seen vanilla pods in Aldi very reasonably priced at 99c if im not mistaken look near the herbs over freezers.
    What type of package is the vanilla sugar in? Is it sachets, one big plastic bag type of pack or a round plastic container?

• Advertisement

The post by miss flitworth has the jar shown in her post, near the top of this thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

buy a few vanilla pods, use the seeds in a custard or icecream or whatever and then take the split pods and put them somewhere warm and dry on a tray/plate for about 4-5 days, this will dry them out, we leave the ontop of convi ovens in work.

Then when they are fully dry and ridgid and stuff just lob them into a big jar and fill it about 3/4 the way with caster sugar and then shake the absolute bollocks out of it for about 3 mins to break up the pods into a fine powder, or, crumble them with your fingers before putting them in the jar or att them to a food processor for a few seconds with a handfull of sugar.

much cheaper the then tesco stuff and after a week or two in a cupboard will taste amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Good tips, saw the jar today almost bought it until I saw the price. Some of the Tesco baking stuff is good value but figured it's cheaper to make it instead. Altough I tend to be lazy and just use caster sugar and add a vanilla pod or a good vanilla essence.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

sorry to drag up an old thread but i didnt see the point in starting a new one, does anyone know if Tesco still have vanilla sugar, I bought the pods but didnt realise how long it would actually take for it to be ready so I wouldnt mind buying some in the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

i got some in Aldi recently!

Bought it on a whim and am so glad I did. Not too expensive and a little goes a long way.

I love it in my coffee and on porridge in the morning. Makes me feel oh so continental!

cheers ill pop over and have a look!!

no look in aldi, but I got in tesco had it , cheers

pretty sure it will be back in stock in Aldi in the next week or so.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

zig wrote: »
    I bought the pods but didnt realise how long it would actually take for it to be ready so I wouldnt mind buying some in the mean time.

Why does it take a long time? Put vanilla pods in a large jar of sugar. If you use fresh pods with seeds in, the flavour of the vanilla will transfer to the sugar quickly. If you use old or used pods, there are less essential oils to flavour the sugar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement