Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amp Problem

• 10-01-2010 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,my first time visiting these parts of the forum,I mainly hang out in the Comp & Tech forum.

Anyway,my granddad has this old (20 years or so) JVC system in his living room and he was telling me he was having a problem with the amp.

It appears the problem is the dial for changing the sources causes the amp to stop working.

Now,normally I'd take it apart but he's really likes this system and doesn't want to mess around with it.

Is there anywhere in Dublin that would do this sort of repair/look into the problem ?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

To be honest it would cost more than it's worth to repair a 20 year old JVC system, sentimental attachment or not. You could try getting an aerosol can of switch cleaner and cleaning the contacts on that dial (and the rest while you're at it). It will mean taking the facia off but that's no biggie. It could well be just a buildup of grime and dirt on the switches over the years, open fires and cigarette smoke in a living room will do that over 2 decades!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    To be honest it would cost more than it's worth to repair a 20 year old JVC system, sentimental attachment or not. You could try getting an aerosol can of switch cleaner and cleaning the contacts on that dial (and the rest while you're at it). It will mean taking the facia off but that's no biggie. It could well be just a buildup of grime and dirt on the switches over the years, open fires and cigarette smoke in a living room will do that over 2 decades!

They have a fish tank where the fireplace 'should' be and neither of them smoke haha

I'll say it to him about opening him up,dont know how far I'll get though.Thanks anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Deano12345 wrote: »
    They have a fish tank where the fireplace 'should' be and neither of them smoke haha

Aye, it was more your 'typical' living room conditions I was referring to. 20 years is still 20 years. It's a fault usually noticed on well worn volume knob/wheels but it affects a lot of contacts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Aye, it was more your 'typical' living room conditions I was referring to. 20 years is still 20 years. It's a fault usually noticed on well worn volume knob/wheels but it affects a lot of contacts.

I know what you mean,20 years of use is ALOT

Advertisement