Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burst pipe - timber floor swelling

• 10-01-2010 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Last night we came home to find water coming through our ceiling onto our downstairs kitchen / living area,frost burst a pipe the night before.Now I count myself luck because we caught it just as it started to gush through the light fittings so we captured most of the water in bins etc.,problem now is the timber floor got wet,we mopped it up fairly quickly and left massive heat on in the room overnight(trying to dry the Rockwool insulation between the ceiling and upstairs floor)but this morning the floor is startig to swell,only minor at the moment but I'm afraid it will get worse.

So my question is am I right to leave the heat on strong in that room or is this adding to the swelling problem?I am trying to get a dehumidifier but all the hire shops are out of them,any advice or tips on how to dry the room and prevent the floor getting worse?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

I think the excessive heat has added to the problem, leave your heating on as normal for now and keep drying the floor, try newspapers or cardboard over the floor to help.
    Unfortunately the floor may be beyond saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Yea excessive heating not good.

We had a similar problem in our work place, not with frozen pipes, but with underground heating and it warped the solid wood floor. However, we got a dehumidifier and rescued it as best we could. Too much heat will have an adverse effect, so go with slow.

Advertisement