Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera bag recommendations?

• 10-01-2010 3:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Ok folks.. I need help.

I have a slingshot 300AW bag, but it's big and heavy and I don't want to bring it with me when I go to the US next month. I need something smaller - was looking at the stealth reporter D100AW, but not sure if it's big enough for my needs - anyone have it?

I'm open to suggestions... I want something that will hold a 40D with grip and 17-50mm tamron attached, and bring along my sigma 30mm and my 580EX mkII. Something over the shoulder and comfortable, preferably. All weather is also good for NY and Boston in February :D Any suggestions, folks?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Quackles wrote: »
    I want something that will hold a 40D with grip and 17-50mm tamron attached, and bring along my sigma 30mm and my 580EX mkII. Something over the shoulder and comfortable, preferably. All weather is also good for NY and Boston in February :D Any suggestions, folks?

something even smaller than the lowe prowe 100 aw might do ?

i've a 100aw (not stealth) and i've two cameras, about five or six lenses and a flash in it at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

something even smaller than the lowe prowe 100 aw might do ?

i've a 100aw (not stealth) and i've two cameras, about five or six lenses and a flash in it at the moment.

My fear is the battery grip - the smaller ones don't look wide enough to hold a grip. What model 100aw do you use?

i just checked it there. its called a vertex 100aw.

it has two cameras, six lenses and a flash in it - also has loads of little bits and bobs (including a book or two) in the outer pockets.

thats why i thought if you only need the one camera and two lenses the 100aw bags might be a bit too big ??

Ahh, that would be too big. With Lowepro, though, the smallest in a line tends to be called the 100.. with the model I'm looking at, it's much smaller.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Stealth-Reporter-D100-AW,2044,20.htm

DOH!

sorry. i always thought the 100 was a reference to the size of the bag across the range - not within a range.:o

hopefully someone who knows what they're talking about will give you some advice next!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I'm open to suggestions... I want something that will hold a 40D with grip and 17-50mm tamron attached, and bring along my sigma 30mm and my 580EX mkII. Something over the shoulder and comfortable, preferably. All weather is also good for NY and Boston in February :D Any suggestions, folks?

What about this one? It's a LowePro Nova 5AW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I'd say you would be grand with a Nova 2. I'd also ditch the grip for travelling. I only use mine if I think it's going to be useful. When on holidays somewhere I'd rather not have to carry the extra weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

I have a slingshot 200 and picked up a Nova 190 yesterday. I am very happy with it and its fairly neat. I have a D90 with grip, 18-55mm, 70-300mm and 50mm prime along with flashgun and there is still room for other stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭vertigo1976

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=177379&cat=all

Would this suit?

I've used this Lowepro Slingshot 100AW on a few trips abroad. I normally carry a 50d, 17-85 IS USM, 50mm 1.8, sigma 70-300 and a 430 EXii in the main compartment without it being too much of a squeeze. There are two other zip compartments for batts, cards, cables etc.

I reckon it'd be a bit tight with the grip but I wouldn't bother with the grip for travelling. Once you've a spare battery you're sorted.

I'm a big fan the slingshot system, have carried it for long days around NYC etc and love how quickly you have access to your camera. Just a pity that it won't fit my 70-200 F4L with the rest of my kit. The AW cover is very useful too.

What about this one? It's a LowePro Nova 5AW

If only it wasn't sold by the time I read this :D

• Advertisement

FX Meister wrote: »
    I'd say you would be grand with a Nova 2. I'd also ditch the grip for travelling. I only use mine if I think it's going to be useful. When on holidays somewhere I'd rather not have to carry the extra weight.

That looks like a nice bag, I'm going on a pricing hunt.. While ditching the grip (heh heh, I so typed grope) may work for the one trip, I'd still like a bag that gives me the option to bring it in future. I prefer the feel of the camera with the grip attached.
    richieg wrote: »
    I have a slingshot 200 and picked up a Nova 190 yesterday. I am very happy with it and its fairly neat. I have a D90 with grip, 18-55mm, 70-300mm and 50mm prime along with flashgun and there is still room for other stuff.

Oooh, that does look nice, and very reasonably priced. We may just have a winner!
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=177379&cat=all

Would this suit?

I've used this Lowepro Slingshot 100AW on a few trips abroad. I normally carry a 50d, 17-85 IS USM, 50mm 1.8, sigma 70-300 and a 430 EXii in the main compartment without it being too much of a squeeze. There are two other zip compartments for batts, cards, cables etc.

I reckon it'd be a bit tight with the grip but I wouldn't bother with the grip for travelling. Once you've a spare battery you're sorted.

I'm a big fan the slingshot system, have carried it for long days around NYC etc and love how quickly you have access to your camera. Just a pity that it won't fit my 70-200 F4L with the rest of my kit. The AW cover is very useful too.

Thanks, but I have a slingshot and I'm trying to get away from it. I really don't find it comfortable. I have the 300 and it's too big, wish I'd gone for the 200 instead. Live and learn, eh?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

If only it wasn't sold by the time I read this :D

Hasn't been paid for yet so if it falls through I'll let you know :)

Thanks for all the advice, folks..

I bought this little beauty (yes, in bordeaux red, it was cheaper... stop laughing...)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-Nova-190-AW-Shoulder/dp/B0016J5MJ8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1263254040&sr=8-2

Can't wait to get my mitts on it and try it on for size :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Congrats, I'm very happy with mine. you got it a lot cheaper than i did, I'm sickened!!

Advertisement