Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no heating,power shower not working...poss frozen pipes

• 10-01-2010 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

hi all
    have running cold water all over house. water coming from the hot water taps. have gas cental heating non of the radiators heating up at all.....got up to the attic. there are 2 tanks up there. new house only here 8 months the attic doesn't seem to be insulated well at all. dont know what to do!!!!!! i dont know if the water running from the cold taps is coming from the tank in the hot press or the mains.

can any one help...cannot stand the cold

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

ashblag wrote: »
    hi all
    have running cold water all over house. water coming from the hot water taps. have gas cental heating non of the radiators heating up at all.....got up to the attic. there are 2 tanks up there. new house only here 8 months the attic doesn't seem to be insulated well at all. dont know what to do!!!!!! i dont know if the water running from the cold taps is coming from the tank in the hot press or the mains.

can any one help...cannot stand the cold

Hi,

The mains cold water is connected to the kitchen sink tap as this is your drinking water. It is then ran to the attic tank and from there it is fed to the upstairs taps and toilets. The hot water cylinder will have a connection from the tank in the attic, as the cylinder is heated then the water is tapped off the top of the cylinder to all the hot water taps, water is then replenished from the attic tank.
    Heating system has it ever worked, possibly a shutoff valve or valve(as part of the heating circuit) is closed. Are the controls set up correctly on the boiler and are the room stats if any setup. How are you heating water or are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

i am not heating water at the moment. i put a small fan heater into the attic on low power the tank up there seems to be running(slowly) again and the power shower is now working. im worried to try turn back on the heating. on the boiler,there is a gauge saying that optimum running settings are between 1 and 2.5 the gauge is reading 0.5?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

ashblag wrote: »
    i am not heating water at the moment. i put a small fan heater into the attic on low power the tank up there seems to be running(slowly) again and the power shower is now working. im worried to try turn back on the heating. on the boiler,there is a gauge saying that optimum running settings are between 1 and 2.5 the gauge is reading 0.5?!?

Hi,

You made no reference to any frozen pipes in your first post. Was your attic tank supply frozen or what was?
    Heating system is a closed loop system, pressure is 0.5Bar cold, when it heats up the pressure gauge will read higher usual around 2.5ish. I'm assuming it is a closed system, Usually is. If your boiler won't fire up then the pressure would need to be increased to 1bar, via the filling loop.
    You need to be more informative in your post. The more detailed information you can proved, the more useful information one can proved.

All pipe work needs to be lagged in pipe insulation, also your cold water tank needs to be lagged. Really any tank in the attic does so as to help prevent freezing
    Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

Bull76
    just got home from work turned on boiler and heating seems to be back up and running. the heater i've put in the attic seems to have done the trick to thaw out pipes and tanks. having insulation put on pipes next week. sorry for the lack of info on my posts....plumbing and women don't mix!!!! was in such a state of panic. fingers(and every thing else) crossed things will be ok. much obliged for your input :D

Advertisement