Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some advice for a novice...

• 10-01-2010 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I'm looking to get a CB radio & aerial to have in the van. I do alot of driving around the country & figure it'd be handy to know what local roads & traffic is like.

Obviously with the aoul recession money's tight so the budget's gotta be sensible, though I dont want to end up with a crock that I can only use to talk to a rig right behind me.

This crowd http://www.scorpiontechnology.ie/index.php/home.html are only down the road from me, so I'll more likely than not get the stuff from there, If it were your bucks, what would you get from their stock??

Thanks in advance,
    Seán

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

a bog standard 40ch am/fm will get you started most truckers use ch19 am and up around the border a few use the uk 40 fm channels but as a rule of thumb ch19 am would be best for road reports etc, however if it was me i would buy a second hand ssb set as this opens up a whole other world for you literally you will get better coverage and there are more people operating "homebase" on ssb than 40ch also when the propagation improves "skip" as its called you can work europe very easily on ssb but only downside ssb rigs are more expensive keep and eye on buy&sell, adverts etc some bargins to be had

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Super, just the kinda advice I was after. Can you still get "Channel 19" on SSB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

Seanieke wrote: »
    Super, just the kinda advice I was after. Can you still get "Channel 19" on SSB?

yeah you can a ssb set has the same channels as your standard 40ch am/fm rig plus a whole lot more

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭goldenwonder

any radio will work and depending on where and when you're driving there is bound to be a few other users nearby. alot of truck drivers still have them along with the odd car.
    my friend used to use this one http://adverts.ie/159250
    its pretty good too. the most important thing is the antenna to use and where its put. dead centre of your roof.
    maplin do a decent small one. think i got it for bout 22 euro.
    stinger are good. they sell them on the website you posted. ive used the mini stinger and got a few miles out of it. you can also get boot clips for the antenna too if you dont like the magnets. they can sometimes mark your car.
    a linear amplifier will boost the range too but im not sure if its worth the money for them. if you can find a cheap one go for it though.
    hope that helped

Advertisement