Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pilot light for gas boiler

• 10-01-2010 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

What does it mean of the pilot light keeps going out? Should I be worried?

Trying to keep baby warm with gas fire which is working fine, but i noticed the pilot light had gone out in boiler in utility room so I turned everything off, then turned heating back on and ther was a woosh pilot light on then went off after a munute or so. Is back on at the moment but should I be worried?

Comments

The pilot light is a safety device, it's either failing due to the boiler needing servicing or the safety device needs replacing, either way have it looked at by a Rgii http://www.rgii.ie/, it's safe to relight it, but leave a minute or two between attempts, Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

My mother-in-law's gas boiler is not working today. She reckons the pilot light is gone in it. It's an old boiler.

Any tips on re-lighting manually. (should she use a lighter, or a clicky plastic gas lighter thingy)?

Bit difficult to get a plumber today/ Impossible. So it'll HAVE to be DIY.

Thanks,

Kev.

The age of the boiler will dictate how safe it is to relight the boiler as a diy project, on older open flued boiler you had access for a match or taper if the spark ignition was defective, more modern balanced flued boiler wouldn't have that and i couldn't advise you(for safety reasons) to break the seal on that type of boiler.
    If it's the first type then you should see near the sight glass a little panel that can swing back and forth allowing access, if you can get the pilot to light with the boilers ignition stet up and then it goes out there is nothing you can do, if it's not lighting in the first place then look at the boilers case for any extra instructions or look for the manual on the Internet for the manufactures advise on relighting with a taper.
    The most important thing is the pilot is a safety device and could be telling you there is a problem, so have it looked at, Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Thanks for the swift reply Gary. I don't usually worry bout the mother-in-law, hehe, but with this cold snap, I do a little. :)

Kev.

Advertisement