Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martingale stoppers

Options
  • 10-01-2010 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭

Right, for the first time in about 10 years I have a horse who I feel will benefit from the use of a martingale for a short period of time. Obvioiusly, since I've last used the martingale the rubber stoppers have all perished and I've had to go out and purchase new stoppers. Fine, no problem there.

However, I'm having problems putting on the stopper that's supposed to stop the martingale from pulling through the neckstrap. I know cold fingers don't really help, but I've tried putting the stopper in hot water to make it more pliable, but it's not really helping.

Has anyone out there got a few tips/suggestions that might help? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

rub some vaseline either on the inside of the stoppers and/or on the rings that the reins go thro (that you are trying to push the stoppers over) - it should work?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Thanks for that! Will try that tomorrow (when hopefully temperatures aren't sub zero!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

The hot water needs to be mega hot as well.

Neatsfoot oil may also work to help things slip, just remember to wipe off the excess when you're done so it does't rot the rubber.

Finally, kids seem to have much more nimble/dexterous fingers, so if there is one around, put them to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Bellemz

Slip 2 lengths of bailing twine through the stopper, tie one to a fence/door etc and pull the other to stretch the stopper open. Take care not to over-do it and snap the thing but works wonders...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 workaholic2

try putting washing up liquid on them!

• Advertisement
Advertisement