Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Insurance / Oil Tank

Options
  • 10-01-2010 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hi

Hope this is in the right place, mods please move if incorrect.

Earlier today I went out to check my oil level as you do in these chilly days.
    To my horror I see on the top of my oil tank, there is a split on one of the ridges, about 4 inches long and 1/2 inch wide narrowing to 0 at each end if you follow me?

I'm guessing the tank has to be replaced or can it be repaired?

But if it needs to be replaced would this be covered by house insurance, have insurance 8 years and have never needed to claim ( thankfully ).

Thanks
    GP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

I don't think so unless all the oil leaked out. There is probably cover for loss of oil. A word of warning, don't let any water in or the heating will stop. Get some duck tape to seal it and replace. Worth a phone call to your insurer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

broker2008 wrote: »
    I don't think so unless all the oil leaked out. There is probably cover for loss of oil. A word of warning, don't ket any water in or the heating will stop. Get some duck tape to seal it and replace. Worth a phone call to your insurer.

Cheers

Cant get any concrete info, even insurace co cant tell me, they need to send out an acessor before they can confirm anything?

I'm guessing I might have some hope otherwise it would be a straight no.

Time will tell, 48hrs I'm told.

Just to follow up on this for those interested.

The tank is not covered by house insurance, but it would have been covered if the oil had leaked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Did an assessor come out in the end or were you told that on the phone ?

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    Cheers

Cant get any concrete info, even insurace co cant tell me, they need to send out an acessor before they can confirm anything?

I'm guessing I might have some hope otherwise it would be a straight no.

Time will tell, 48hrs I'm told.
    broker2008 wrote: »
    Did an assessor come out in the end or were you told that on the phone ?

All done over the phone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement