Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearing snow off path outside your house

Options
  • 10-01-2010 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Well, everyone on the radio keeps recommending that every householder clears the path outside their house. Is anyone actually doing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

Well, everyone on the radio keeps recommending that every householder clears the path outside their house. Is anyone actually doing it?

If all businesses and home did this, there would be very little ice on any footpaths. The local shop accross the way from me has been sanding and gritting for the last 2 weeks, so fair play to them.

I put some salt on the path into my garden and front door, and salted the path outside my house and my neighbours on Friday evening, and even with the snow last night, its as clear as anything now. Someone else gritted the footpath on the other side of the street.

Seems people would rather complain about them than do something ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Didn't someone from the Irish Insurance federation say a property owner who cleared the footpath could be sued in the event of an injury to a passer-by as the result from a fall outside same property? I'm sure there might be a link somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Tommo119

In some US States i think its the law to clear your path and they give you salt to do it. I always clear my path here (England) but it's a bit risky as your liable to get sued with all the money grabbers around here. If they fall on your path, its your fault (apparently)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Tommo119 wrote: »
    In some US States i think its the law to clear your path and they give you salt to do it. I always clear my path here (England) but it's a bit risky as your liable to get sued with all the money grabbers around here. If they fall on your path, its your fault (apparently)
    Apparently, if you do nothing, you arent responsible. But if you clear the snow, you are liable for public liability claims, as it could be shown that it was your cleaning action that caused the fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

According to the radio, John Gormley got legal advice on this and no the householder would NOT be responsible.

Just think everyone is lazy and would rather skid around risking injury to themselves or old people, than clear the path. Even though a good few have cleared their own garden path/driveways!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 cafferkey

Thats the spirit. Wonder if cleaning the path that you are responsible for anyway will or might cause a claim so that you don't have to do anything. A path covered with ice and snow is more of a risk of a claim than a clear one. Why would anyone claim (or why would it be sucessful) against one of the few house holders
    that have a clear path when there is thousands of miles of paths and roads covered with snow and ice?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TheJeanGenie

Alot of people in the estate where I live have cleared their drive-ways and footpaths. It's a pretty sad world we live in when you have to think about money-grabbers looking for claims when you're just trying to make the place a bit safer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

in some spots around here people have swept the paths outside their house and just left exposed ice there which is now very slippery!
    i think by tomorrow it's all just going to be dirty mush anyway so we don't need to worry too much...

i myself salted outside my house.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i was heading out to do this but was then informed if i clear the ice and snow and it re-freezes and someone slips, they would be able to sue me - so it all just got left there.

no one on my road has cleared the footpath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

According to the radio, John Gormley got legal advice on this and no the householder would NOT be responsible.

Would you believe John Gormley?

• Advertisement

To be honest, if someone knocked on my door and said they had fallen on the footpath outside my home, I would be asking why they fell on ground where there is no ice, no snow, just some water and wonder how they didn't fall on the ice on the rest of it?

Not a hope of going anywhere with that.

Besides the point, if someone wants to sue me for it, let them at it, not gonna get much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I would imagine RTE would check their facts before announcing something like that.

I would imagine RTE would check their facts before announcing something like that.

What did RTE announce?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

A case like that would just get laughed out of court. Not a hope of ever happening, just people thinking up reasons to be lazy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I poured twenty buckets of water on my path and on the pavement outside..it froze like an ice rink and i got hours of entertainment watching people slipping and sliding around.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

well, i done mine today. there was about 10 of us out doing it all along the road

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

irishbird wrote: »
    well, i done mine today. there was about 10 of us out doing it all along the road

Hippies:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Well done to everyone who did their bit.

Got my footpath outside the house cleared this morning, still lots of paths outside properties not done yet.

is it still icy or snowy on the footpaths in the city centre?
    we've had nothing but rain over the last 2 days, and no sign of anything more than water!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

It was like a scene from desperate housewives when I left the house yesterday, everyone was out clearing their paths, all the suckers had bought the special scrapers, the kind you use once every 30 years in this country!
    cafferkey wrote: »
    Thats the spirit. Wonder if cleaning the path that you are responsible for anyway will or might cause a claim so that you don't have to do anything. A path covered with ice and snow is more of a risk of a claim than a clear one. Why would anyone claim (or why would it be sucessful) against one of the few house holders
    that have a clear path when there is thousands of miles of paths and roads covered with snow and ice?????

Wow, naive, there are people out there constantly seeking opportunities for claims and the solicitors are just as corrupt in helping them. Btw I dont know how true that is about being liable for your own cleared pathway.

Advertisement