Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iceberg visible off Aranmore!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Ferguso wrote: »
    Wolfgang Steckhan, a German living lcally in Arranmore.

I'd believe a story about an iceberg quicker than a German with a sense of humour, that's just taking the mickey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

I think this Wolfgang fella is on to something. He deserves a job, working for Donegal tourism. Kerry has Dingo or whatever you call it, Donegal should have a tourist attraction like spot the iceberg. Everything in Donegal should be ice themed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

I can't help thinking that Donegal along with the perception that it was in Northern Ireland, too far from Dublin and always had crap weather has always been suffering for these incorrect assumptions.

Its interesting to see that in the past bad weather, including Floods and Snow, Donegal probably has had the best Weather and escaped most.

Stupid antics like this would be better replaced with changing peoples perceptions.

People would also be suprised to learn that most media organisations run a smaller skeleton staff at weekends and therefore not do great investigation, they mostly pickup news from other media and thus why it spread so easily.

Were it true it would have been a fantastic news worthy event and and ripe for being picked up. In this day of technology, stories are often expected to be run imediately, though Highland if they covered it would be very embarrassed. I would doubt RTE had a camera crew dispatched which they would have done were they not to catch on quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Of course you do realise that Disassociated Press was the only news agency in the world to actually capture a picture of this infamous iceberg. :D

icebergg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

I think this Wolfgang fella is on to something. He deserves a job, working for Donegal tourism. Kerry has Dingo or whatever you call it, Donegal should have a tourist attraction like spot the iceberg. Everything in Donegal should be ice themed!

This made me laugh like f**k. Thanking it wasn't enough to show my appreciation of its comic genius. It deserves a physical Thank You. Priceless!! :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

This made me laugh like f**k. Thanking it wasn't enough to show my appreciation of its comic genius. It deserves a physical Thank You. Priceless!! :D:D:D:D

Glad you thought it was funny. Googled it after and think Fungi/us was the name I was looking for! 'Wolfgang' has made himself known to me on this site. I think we would make a good team working for Donegal tourism. God only knows what will be seen in Donegal next. Should be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭donegalboy

I can't help thinking that Donegal along with the perception that it was in Northern Ireland, too far from Dublin and always had crap weather has always been suffering for these incorrect assumptions.

Its interesting to see that in the past bad weather, including Floods and Snow, Donegal probably has had the best Weather and escaped most.

Stupid antics like this would be better replaced with changing peoples perceptions.

People would also be suprised to learn that most media organisations run a smaller skeleton staff at weekends and therefore not do great investigation, they mostly pickup news from other media and thus why it spread so easily.

Were it true it would have been a fantastic news worthy event and and ripe for being picked up. In this day of technology, stories are often expected to be run imediately, though Highland if they covered it would be very embarrassed. I would doubt RTE had a camera crew dispatched which they would have done were they not to catch on quickly.

I don't think short staffing is any excuse for letting this one through...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Does that mean the earthquake story is just a pile a s***e too?

no, but the one about the flashing lights might be questionable

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Someone took this photo of the ice berg docking in at buncranas pier for the night.

buncranapier.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 SnowAngel29

inode wrote: »
    they are probably telling everyone its the same iceberg that took down the titanic too :rolleyes:

"They"??? Hope you aren'y refering to all the islanders with your wee generalisation there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 boredofblackroc

At last there's a realistic answer to our water shhortage problems - can someone tow it to Dublin Bay please?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

The Sydney Iceberg

On April 1, 1978 a barge appeared in Sydney Harbor towing a giant iceberg. Sydneysiders (as residents of Sydney are known) were expecting it. Dick Smith, a local adventurer and millionaire businessman (owner of Dick Smith Foods), had been loudly promoting his scheme to tow an iceberg from Antarctica for quite some time. Now he had apparently succeeded.

Smith said that he was going to carve the berg into small ice cubes, which he would sell to the public for ten cents each. These well-traveled cubes, fresh from the pure waters of Antarctica, were promised to improve the flavor of any drink they cooled. The cubes would be marketed under the brand name 'Dickciles.'

A radio station reporter kept up a live broadcast from the iceberg (christened the Dickenberg 1) as it made its way into the harbor. Excitedly the entire city waited to catch a glimpse of the curiosity. Boaters who traveled out to meet the berg were given complimentary cubes.

Then it began to rain.

The water washed away the firefighting foam and shaving cream that the iceberg was really made of, exposing the white plastic sheets beneath. In this degraded condition the Sydney Iceberg sailed proudly on, floating past the opera house and city skyline. Boaters who now joined the procession were still given free cubes... though the cubes actually came from the onboard beer refrigerator.

iceberg-300x2211.jpg

I completely forgot that the Donegal Tourism tag line is 'up here, it's different'. So different that we make up things that don't exist. I'd say the only iceberg you'd get anywhere near Aranmore is of the ice-cream variety.

Advertisement