Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple living with single guy - how to split bills?

Options
  • 10-01-2010 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭steve_oh

We're a couple sharing with a single guy. Im starting to resent paying two thirds of the electricity, tv and heat bills. Especially since the guy is a couch potato and stares at the TV all day every day. Really I should be moving out but Im kinda stuck at present. Whats the fairest way of splitting bills?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

steve_oh wrote: »
    We're a couple sharing with a single guy. Im starting to resent paying two thirds of the electricity, tv and heat bills. Especially since the guy is a couch potato and stares at the TV all day every day. Really I should be moving out but Im kinda stuck at present. Whats the fairest way of splitting bills?

Three ways. Move out if you don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Why should it be any other way than three way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

dolliemix wrote: »
    gigiddy

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

3 ways

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Mezcita wrote: »
    Three ways. Move out if you don't like it.

+1. You shouldn't benefit from the fact that you and your other half are in a relationship. If your gf or bf was not so, then there would still be 3 people in the house and this question wouldn't even arise.

Rent is different as you share a room, but there's no accounting for who uses what electricity. Also, its none of your business what lifestyle your house mate has. If he pays his bills and rent its his choice if he wants to be a couch potatoe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

i lived with as a single guy with a couple for 3 years and we paid 3 ways , never a problem with that and they were the couch potatoes compared to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

You are one of three people living in a house.
    You should all individually be paying one third.
    The fact that he's a "couch potatoe" and in your opinion, watches too much tv is irrelevant.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well I'd imagine the couple will share their use of electricity a bit more - for example they heat one room between them, presumably cook at the same time, watch TV maybe at the same too. More sharing of utilities than the single person. That'd be the argument in favour of something other than a 33.3% cut to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I live with a couple and another girl.
    We divide bills four ways, because there are four of us living in the house.
    Being in a couple doesn't mean two people become one and should only pay bills as one person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

ixoy wrote: »
    Well I'd imagine the couple will share their use of electricity a bit more - for example they heat one room between them, presumably cook at the same time, watch TV maybe at the same too. More sharing of utilities than the single person. That'd be the argument in favour of something other than a 33.3% cut to everyone.

Not necessarily. Not all couples work the same shifts, have the same days off etc. They may share a room/ bed, but they are two separate people living in a house- I'm sure they use more than the one room they sleep in. They are SEPARATE people, albiet, sharing the same bedroom. Unless they are physically attached, they should be splitting all the utility bills by three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I was part of a couple who shared a house with two other girls, we split all bills 4 ways.

Doing anything other than that didn't even cross my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

3 ways - maybe you shower more - cook more - equal split is the only fair way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

But maybe they take a shower each, have two computers, two phones, two iPods to charge. Maybe one of them is upstairs with a light on while the other is downstairs with a different light on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Unless you want to go down the road of itemizing the cost of each electric appliance by cost per unit, I think splitting the bill 3 ways is the safest way to go......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

You can't measure things that way. When you agree to live with somebody you agree to pay three-ways or don't move in at all. It wouldn't be fair to expect the third person to suddenly start paying half if there are two other people using the facilities.

If the OP and his other half don't want to pay their fair share they should look for somewhere themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

defo 3 ways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Maybe the girl puts on more washes, uses the tumble drier, irons more, has longer showers, uses hair straighteners.. if anything the couple should pay more. I recommend a 70:30 split (couple:single)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Definitely split equally between the number of people living there. If that doesn't suit then get a place just between the two of you and see how the bills work out then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Maybe the girl puts on more washes, uses the tumble drier, irons more, has longer showers, uses hair straighteners.. if anything the couple should pay more. I recommend a 70:30 split (couple:single)

So if this was a 2 bedroom apartment and a guy and girl sharing it, the girl should pay a greater percentage of bills than the guy? Get real :rolleyes:

OP - split it three ways and pay 33.3% each. That is entirely fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

eth0_ wrote: »
    So if this was a 2 bedroom apartment and a guy and girl sharing it, the girl should pay a greater percentage of bills than the guy? Get real :rolleyes:

Obvious you missed the sarcasm. Of course the only way to split bills is 3-ways and the op is being unreasonable suggesting otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Whats the fairest way of splitting bills?

1. Take figure on bills.
    2. Divide by three.
    3. Each person pays their share (1/3) each.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,360 ✭✭✭✭Victor

eth0_ wrote: »

OP - split it three ways and pay 33.3% each. That is entirely fair.
    Yes. :pac:

There are arguments for and against any particular position. A flat mate of mine once got Sky Sports. I had no interest and didn't contribute. He was happy with that.

I worked out that guys use about one roll of toilet roll per month. I once bought a 12-pack. We had a woman staying that month. The 12-pack was gone within the month. If effect, she used 10 times what my flat mate and I used.

Another time, a flat mate moved out. His room mate decided that he would pay for the whole room himself. However, the other flat mate and I then got stung for paying one third of the bills, when we had previously been paying one quarter.

In general, decide at the start and continue like that. If you want change, you need everyone to agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 whippetmania

Are you as generous towrds your girlfriend with affectionate gestures as you are with your finances towards mundane obligations such as rent? Seriously, I think you should suggest your proposal to him and report back on his reaction... I'm in need of a good laugh!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

You can't measure things that way. When you agree to live with somebody you agree to pay three-ways or don't move in at all. It wouldn't be fair to expect the third person to suddenly start paying half if there are two other people using the facilities.
    Actually we split all ours evenly when we lived as a couple with 2 others. I'm just thinking through the logic of the other side of the argument.

• Victor wrote: »
    Yes. :pac:

There are arguments for and against any particular position. A flat mate of mine once got Sky Sports. I had no interest and didn't contribute. He was happy with that.

Yeah, I think that's fairly standard. I think anything beyond essentials needs to be talked about. It's common for people not to pay for internet because they don't use it. Of course, then you have to trust that they really aren't using it.
    I worked out that guys use about one roll of toilet roll per month. I once bought a 12-pack. We had a woman staying that month. The 12-pack was gone within the month. If effect, she used 10 times what my flat mate and I used.

One roll a MONTH? :eek:
    Another time, a flat mate moved out. His room mate decided that he would pay for the whole room himself. However, the other flat mate and I then got stung for paying one third of the bills, when we had previously been paying one quarter.

But surely all the non-fixed bills like electricity, gas, heating, would be lower anyway?

I think the bills have to be split between the number of people. It's always going to be unfair on someone but I think that's the fairest way.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blacey

The bills get split three ways. There's no way you can do otherwise - ie itemize every billable item - without going insane or driving your housemate away and leaving you splitting the bills between you and your OH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I also agree it should be three ways. Anything other than that is unfair and frankly being a cheapskate.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Victor wrote: »
    I worked out that guys use about one roll of toilet roll per month.

...and one pallet of Immodium...

Back to the OP's point, this post sums up exactly why people are wary of housesharing with couples. You'll end up resented, a necessary evil to help pay the rent, but basically an intruder in 'their' cosy home.*

* Except Matt & Sal in Brisbane in '98 - you guys were great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Bills should be divided by the number of people living in the house and each should pay their equal share. In this case, you should each pay one-third.

If you aren't happy with the situation, then move out. Just because you're sharing with a couple doesn't mean you should pay any more/less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Bet your sorry you asked :)

That said, if you guys are out all day - and he's in with the heat on all day - you have grounds to talk.

I don't think the TV uses so much electricity as to make a difference worth falling out over.

Advertisement