Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 2: Brown Bread

• 10-01-2010 4:32pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Putting this up now as I may not get the chance tomorrow.

I'll start with something simple and something I make 2-3 times a week. This should make two loaves and the bread is suitable for freezing. The recipe is from someone my mother works with and it's based on cups rather than using a scales...It can also be adapted to make scones.

Brown Bread

Ingredients

3 cups of plain/cream flour
    3 cups of whole meal flour
    2 & 1/2 cups (two and half) of buttermilk
    3/4 cup (three quarters) of sunflower oil
    1/2 (half) cup of bran or whatever seeds you'd like to add*
    3/4 (three quarters) teaspoon of bread soda
    Pinch of salt**

* I blitz some sunflower and pumpkin/sesame seeds and use that instead, sometimes some cranberries or golden raisins go in as well. Your supermarket should have small packets of these. You could always throw in fennel seeds, etc, also.
    ** I generally don't bother with the salt.

Method

Mix the dry ingredients together. Make an O or well in the centre.
    Add the sunflower oil and then the buttermilk. Bring in the dry flower from the edges. Keep the mixture loose, folding it in gently from the edges. Don't be rough with it although it may look like I have been.

Place the mixture into 2 greased baking tins. Take a knife, dip it in flour and run it through the centre of each loaf. Bake for around 40-45 minutes at 180C.

bread1.jpg

Everything you need.

bread2.jpg

bread3a.jpg

Dry mix including blitzed sunflower and pumpkin seeds and some cranberries/golden raisins.

bread4-1.jpg

Sunflower oil

bread5.jpg

In goes the buttermilk

bread6.jpg

Bringing it all together

bread7.jpg

Ready to go.

bread8.jpg

Done

bread10.jpg

Side shot

bread9.jpg

O hai, crumbs plz? :pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Well I am partial to fresh bread...

Oh, is it 3/4 cup of Sunflower oil? Would you recommend sprinkling the pumpkin/sesame seeds on top or mix through as you do?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yeah, sorry I should have written three quarters of a cup.
    I generally mix them through. Never tried sprinkling seeds on top for this recipe, but in another brown bread recipe we used pinhead oats on top (and within) and they were grand. Might give your suggestion a go. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yummy, cats are wonderful spread on a bit of toasted brown bread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

I like the cat the best :)

I will give this a go during the week, I just need to get some tins first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What's a cup?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The cups we use hold about 160g of flour or around 280ml of liquid.

The cups we use hold about 160g of flour or around 280ml of liquid.

Ok, thanks for that.

Would you mind terribly if I posted some rough conversions here?

Fire away. :)

Fire away. :)

Cheers, based on your recipe above, and the conversions you've given me :

480g of plain/cream flour
    480g of whole meal flour
    700ml (two and half) of buttermilk
    210ml (three quarters) of sunflower oil
    80g cup of bran or whatever seeds you'd like to add*
    Pinch of salt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think the important thing to remember about the cup measurements is that it's used as a "part" measurement, i.e.
    3 "parts" of plain/cream flour
    3 "parts" of whole meal flour
    2 & 1/2 "parts" (two and half) of buttermilk, etc., etc......

Wouldn't be big into making bread but in the spirit of the Cooking Club I'll give this a bash during the week. :):pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Sorry to butt in OP, but if those of you who don't have baking tins just put some flour on a roasting tin and make the dough into rounds instead, it should work fine. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I love the idea of the cooking club. Brilliant idea. I'll be giving the bread a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'll definitely give this a go before the end of the week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭MissMotivated

oh will definitely be giving this a go this week!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

What can I use instead of buttermilk (I can't get it).

Ponster wrote: »

Milk with a bit of lemon juice in it should be ok. Or vinegar but I don't know if that tastes too strong. Either way you're only using a few drops.

Ponster wrote: »

In Paris I see

Here's a substitute for Buttermilk from a 1990s Home Economics Book

Half a teaspoon of Bread Soda
    Teaspoon of Cream of Tartare
    in 250-300 ml of milk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I think you can add a good squeeze of lemon juice to normal whole milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Sorry to butt in OP, but if those of you who don't have baking tins just put some flour on a roasting tin and make the dough into rounds instead, it should work fine. :)

thanks for that tequila, saves me having to go buy tins:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Des wrote: »
    In Paris I see

Here's a substitute for Buttermilk from a 1990s Home Economics Book

Half a teaspoon of Bread Soda
    Teaspoon of Cream of Tartare
    in 250-300 ml of milk

Thanks Des but I'll go with the lemon juice or else I'll be asking you for a substitute to "Cream of Tartare" :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Other substitutes for buttermilk are sour milk (that is what the lemon juice does to fresh milk) or natural yoghurt. What you need is the acidity.

In France, you can seek out lait ribot, but you are more likely to find it in Brittany than in Paris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I always use lemon and soya / goats milk instead of buttermilk (don't take dairy) in any recipe that calls for buttermilk and it works grand :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Nice one. Looking forward to this.

Des wrote: »
    Cheers, based on your recipe above, and the conversions you've given me :

480g of plain/cream flour
    480g of whole meal flour
    700ml (two and half) of buttermilk
    210ml (three quarters) of sunflower oil
    80g cup of bran or whatever seeds you'd like to add*
    Pinch of salt

I can't see why you wouldn't get away with going up to 500g if you felt 480g is a little awkward. Sometimes I end up with a heaped cup or two so the flour parts could end up close enough to 500g. The buttermilk is a bit of a rough guide (we were told 3 originally, but found that was too much), if the mix is fairly dry don't be afraid to add a splash or two more, but don't make it too sloppy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

Tiny Bit Moist in the middle but fairly Tasty.

Jeez they look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Jammy

Oooo wow TechnoPool that looks really tasty :D

I might try this out. I'd like to get into more cooking, this seems like a good way. Will have to make a trip to the shops!

Can you use raisins and stuff instead of seeds and maybe put flaxseed in with it?

I'm currently eating this bread with soup for my dinner. I'll post up a pic in awhile.

• Advertisement

Right, so I made the bread earlier. I halved the plain flour and increased the wholemeal flour instead. I was going to add seeds to it but there was a problem with them apparently and Tesco weren't allowed to sell them. I also added a heaped teaspoon of brown sugar because I like the subtle sweetness it gives to bread. I put in a bit less oil too.

After 45 minutes in the oven it was anaemic looking so I gave it at least another 15 minutes. Despite this, it was a bit moist in the middle. However, I actually like my bread like that so it worked out well.

It looks quite pale in the first picture but that's because of the lighting.

102499.JPG

102500.JPG

It tasted nice. I could definitely taste the oil in it though. It was lovely with loads of butter and broccoli soup. It probably wont replace my normal brown bread recipe but I enjoyed it and would probably make it again with less oil.

102501.JPG

Advertisement