Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 2: Brown Bread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Here's my attempt, I cheated and used a stand mixer :pac:

102512.jpg

102513.jpg

Tasted awesome too, cheers OP

CC

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

DSC_1763.jpg

I cooked it for about 50/55 minutes and am very happy with the result. I'd add a little more salt the next time (there will be a next time), really enjoying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Jammy

Mmmm these all look so lovely!

I know I'm going to mess it up, I've never baked bread before!

Got all the ingrediants today, just need to wait til I'm home to bake them!

I've also organised a bread bake off with a friend for next week :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Oh, excellent. :) Sometimes they can be a little on the moist side, but not too much these days. The time for cooking does seem to vary a bit. We were having problems for ages until we realised one of the oven's elements (I think) was gone, but once it was replaced we were motoring. Sometimes the taste can be bit average, but most of the time it's very fresh.

TechnoPool, looking good.

janeybabe, interesting re reducing the plain flour, have often wondered about that..might give it a go. Definitely good with soup.

CC, no bother, although I may have had to use Google to find out what a stand mixer is..

MM, texture looks good...love the seeds.

Jammy, I've never tried raisins other than the golden ones being blitzed with pumpkin seeds, etc, but flaxseed has been known to make an appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Jammy wrote: »
    Mmmm these all look so lovely!

I know I'm going to mess it up, I've never baked bread before!

Got all the ingrediants today, just need to wait til I'm home to bake them!

I've also organised a bread bake off with a friend for next week :pac:

haha first thing i ever baked was the flap jacks last week ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I cooked it for about 50/55 minutes and am very happy with the result. I'd add a little more salt the next time (there will be a next time), really enjoying it.

Why more salt next time? I always wondered why some recipes call for salt (like pancakes....what???).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Khannie wrote: »
    Why more salt next time? I always wondered why some recipes call for salt (like pancakes....what???).

FYI

I'd say more than anything else it increases the flavour of the other ingredients.

I've seen Chefs add a pinch of salt to melted chocolate to enhance the flavour.

Khannie wrote: »

The link that BaZmO* provide explains my reasoning especially the 'It also potentiates the flavor of other ingredients' comment. I'd add salt to the bread (or any dish/soup/sauce etc..) based on taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Made this last night but it didn't turn out well: when I was making it I thought 3/4 cup of oil sounded excessive but then I thought 'ah sure I'll just stick to the recipe'... anyway, it just tastes like oil to me. Maybe I messed up somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TalkingGoose

Just wondering can you use margerine or butter instead of the oil, going to try this tonight after the flapjacks. Going all out tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

CombatCow wrote: »
    Here's my attempt, I cheated and used a stand mixer :pac:

CC

Can't think why you'd use a mixer - soda bread doesn't require kneading and is only mixed such that the ingredients come together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Can't think why you'd use a mixer - soda bread doesn't require kneading and is only mixed such that the ingredients come together.

Heh, the reason I use a mixer is to keep my hands clean. I hate cleaning mixed flour off my hands.

I'm going to make this this evening, I got some sunflower and some pumpkin seeds to throw into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Des wrote: »
    Heh, the reason I use a mixer is to keep my hands clean. I hate cleaning mixed flour off my hands.

I'm going to make this this evening, I got some sunflower and some pumpkin seeds to throw into it.

Just use a spoon.
    Apparently, it's not good to over mix a soda bread mix.

well, it's in the oven now.

I'll post pics later, when it's done and I've had my dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yeah as Des says, just to keep the place clean...plus I bought it so I may aswell use it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Here's mine... (I need a deeper baking tray!)

cherrybread.jpg

I added cherries... eh.. just because I had cherries...

Oh and say hi to my cat, Mrs. Chips. She helped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

DSC_1763.jpg

Looks great! Is that pumpkin seeds you used and how much did you put in?

did anyone try sunflower seeds? want t use em, but have to wait for the weekend as i can't get them in the shops around here!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

OMG - des just made this, it is beautiful

susanroth wrote: »
    did anyone try sunflower seeds? want t use em, but have to wait for the weekend as i can't get them in the shops around here!!

I used pumpkin and sunflower seeds. I blitzed 80g of them and threw them in with the flour. then threw some on top as well.

Oh my god, my bread came out absolutely perfectly, and it's de-bloody-licious :D

HPIM1284.jpg

HPIM1285.jpg

Just had it with some butter and jam after my dinner.

NYOMMERS

Oh, I only baked one loaf as I hadn't enough brown flour, but I'll be making this again and again and again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

That loaf looks divine:D I want mine to look like this!

• Advertisement

Looks great! Is that pumpkin seeds you used and how much did you put in?

Yes. I used the seeds instead of the bran and ground them with a pestle and mortar retaining a few to scatter on top. They were lovely through the bread.

The smell of the buttermilk brought me right back to my grannys kitchen, rest her. Used to help her bake as a child it was nice to have my daughter 'help' me with this, she's 2.

That loaf looks divine:
    Thanks, I'm actually quite proud of it.

I made bread to day in your honour Black oil.
    Haven't done this since I was a kid. :D

My mam always taught us to test to see if was fully cooked.
    When you put a knife down through it, and it comes up clean.
    Your bread is cooked inside.

I used linseeds... it's all they had in Dunnes yesterday.

Over all my bread doesn't look great and is far to short to actually serve as bread in a practical sense... but it does actually taste nice...

Will bring it in to work tomorrow and get people to taste it.

I used linseeds... it's all they had in Dunnes yesterday. .
    They hadn't got them in my Dunnes
    Over all my bread doesn't look great and is far to short to actually serve as bread in a practical sense...
    I'm sorry to say this, but I think you're right there.

Ibut it does actually taste nice...

That's the main thing I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I used linseeds... it's all they had in Dunnes yesterday.

Over all my bread doesn't look great and is far to short to actually serve as bread in a practical sense... but it does actually taste nice...

Will bring it in to work tomorrow and get people to taste it.

Cut it into squares maybe and then cut each square like you would cut a scone. Lash on some butter and NYOM!

I've been cutting it into fingers... the cherries help is seem more like a cake.

I'll have to get a taller baking tray though... or make bread on a night that the taps are actually working and I can properly wash my hands and actually knead the dough.

EDIT: Also... I may have been drinking at the time...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Keep them coming! :)

Re linseeds, do they need to be soaked overnight before use? We have them here somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭MissMotivated

Made this last night, will put up pics Monday. It's quite tasty!! used less white flour and more wholmeal. Maybe this is a stupid question but could you use all wholemeal and no white? or oat flour instead of white? I don't know much about baking to know if it would work

Advertisement