Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 2: Brown Bread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

In the oven! \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Making this tomorrow morning as I'll probably be doing feck all else if it's raining. Yum, fresh brown bread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Jammy

Just put mine in the oven there. I'm so nervoous *runs around*

I think I ballsed it up big time, I wasn't sure exactly how the mixture was so I added some buttermilk at one point as I thought it was a bit dry...and I wans't sure if you were supposed to see floury bits underneath and stuff.

Oh well, first time for everything! I hope it comes out okay!! :pac:

Made this last night, will put up pics Monday. It's quite tasty!! used less white flour and more wholemeal. Maybe this is a stupid question but could you use all wholemeal and no white? or oat flour instead of white? I don't know much about baking to know if it would work

I think that all wholemeal would taste like muck.
    The oat flour sounds like a good substitute for the white though.
    If you try it tell us how it came out.

:D @ Jammy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Des wrote: »
    In Paris I see

Here's a substitute for Buttermilk from a 1990s Home Economics Book

Half a teaspoon of Bread Soda
    Teaspoon of Cream of Tartare
    in 250-300 ml of milk

Just to add to this, on the back of the Shamrock Foods Bread Soda packet, they recommend 1 tsp bread soda per 300ml fresh milk to make your own buttermilk, so no need for cream of tartare. Handy enough seeing as there's already bread soda required in the recipe :)

Was thinking of varying the original recipe by adding some ale and grated cheddar cheese to make something like a "Ploughman's Lunch Loaf", to go on a buttered slice with sliced ham, cheddar, lettuce, tomato, and Branston pickle. Might give it a shot.

• Advertisement

I did it! I baked my first loaves of bread! :D

It was gooood, tasty and stuffs. Probably could add some more flavours into it, but with jam and cheese it was gorgeous. Myself and the mother ate the whole loaf!

Pics!!

4277758244_983eff0658.jpg

Hopefully will bake some more tommorow as I'm having my bake off on Sunday with a friend!

Gonna bake some coookies tommorow too :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

That seems to be the link to your general flickr stream, or the bread bit. If you right click the photo you can get the address for it and then copy here, wrap it in image tags and away you go. :) They look great, btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It looks lovely Jammy :)

Heh, cheers for the pic. I don't understand why I couldn't post the photo, they usually work grand for me! :rolleyes:

Any suggestions for making the flavour last longer and give a nice after taste?

I wanna win this bake off :cool:

Jammy wrote: »
    Heh, cheers for the pic. I don't understand why I couldn't post the photo, they usually work grand for me! :rolleyes:

I've edited it into your own post for you, I didn't want to go stealing the credit. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Invite other boardsies to judge? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭molliesassy

My loaves are just fresh out of the oven and look yum! I put organic mixed multiseeds into the mix and then sprinkled the tops of the loaves with porridge oats before baking.
    Sorry! dont know how to put up pics :o and dont have the time now to try and learn.

You can set up an account on somewhere like photobucket and be able to share pics if you wish to in the future.

Forgot to include this type of shot in opening post, sorry the angle's a bit rubbish. Made this yesterday with reduced plain flour, reduced oil and a little more wholemeal flour.

bread11.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I didn't get a chance to make this week's recipe. I'm up the walls with study in the evenings and work during the day, oh the joys. The recipe is actually very similar to the brown bread my mother used to make when I was growing up. She used to do it in rounds so when I get a chance I'm going do one in a tin and one round, contrast and compare as they say. Black Oil your photos make me want to spread butter on the screen :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

i just put mine in the oven, halved the mixture and used des' conversions very loosely i might add. I ended up using a lot of bran cause din't have any wholemeal and didn't want it to be too white:p also used pumpkin and sunflower seeds whole. For some reason i always plow right into the making it without reading the instructions through first, so mixed it wrong:rolleyes:... as i write this i am concerned for my little loaf...

How did it turn out?

Thanks to the Black Oil I think I have set up a photobucket account and uploaded my loaf pics but dont know how to get them on here :(

IMG00106.jpg

IMG00107.jpg

I fixed it for you! Looks great. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

I think it came out pretty good! I barely had it out of the oven and people were making tea to go with it:rolleyes: thats y the photos aren't great:p
    oh yeah and i also just remembered as i took it out of the oven that i hadn't put any salt in it!!! think it is missing that alright..
    attachment.php?attachmentid=102924&stc=1&d=1263757809
    attachment.php?attachmentid=102925&stc=1&d=1263757809
    102926.jpg

Thanks Des! How did you do that?

• Advertisement

I baked on Saturday but I'm afraid I didn't really like the taste of this bread too much. It seemed a bit oily and flavourless. Having said that, I brought some to my momma, who liked it. And my boyfriend thought it was good too, so maybe it's just my tastebuds ;):p Think I'll be sticking to my own recipe in future though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Miss No Name

I usually use a recipe like this but it always calls for a beaten egg to be added with the buttermilk. This will mean you might have to add a little less milk as the egg will make it more moist. It should make the bread taste better.

I usually use a recipe like this but it always calls for a beaten egg to be added with the buttermilk. This will mean you might have to add a little less milk as the egg will make it more moist. It should make the bread taste better.

Yep, mine has an egg. And yoghurt/milk instead of buttermilk. And a little bit of butter, but no oil.

Actually it's a totally different recipe :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Gave this a go last night. Had the same problem as many others in that it was moist in the centre.

Will try remaking again at some stage, with more salt and time in the oven (already was well past the recommended 45 minutes).

Thanks for the recipe, it was a simple recipe to begin my foray into bread-making.

Might upload a picture later of half the loaf. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I didn't get a chance to make this yet (forgot to buy buttermilk) will do this week though, everyones looks yummy!
    I have some mixed seeds - do I need to grind them up? or can i just throw them in as is - I dont have a processor...
    Was thinking of varying the original recipe by adding some ale and grated cheddar cheese to make something like a "Ploughman's Lunch Loaf", to go on a buttered slice with sliced ham, cheddar, lettuce, tomato, and Branston pickle. Might give it a shot.
    That sounds delicious btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭MissMotivated

I made this again yesterday without the oil, wasn't nearly as moist, still no lead for my camera to put up pics, must ty it next time with ota flour instead of white

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I made this again yesterday without the oil, wasn't nearly as moist, still no lead for my camera to put up pics, must ty it next time with ota flour instead of white

Oh do please and let me know how you get on :):):) And if I get a chance before you do I will let you know how I get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭MissMotivated

Pembily wrote: »
    Oh do please and let me know how you get on :):):) And if I get a chance before you do I will let you know how I get on!

Yep definitely!!

My parents loved the first batch I made, my dad looked a bit scared when I told him to try some but he text later to say very good, I rang him and he could not hide the surprise from his voice at how nice it was!!! My mam too!!They know how useless I am in the kitchen, oh Boards you have taught me alot!! :) Although now I have an addiction to oat pancakes and chocolate flapjacks........

kerash wrote: »
    I have some mixed seeds - do I need to grind them up? or can i just throw them in as is - I dont have a processor...

I wouldn't say blitzing the seeds is essential. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Making this tonight, will report back!

Advertisement