Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 2: Brown Bread

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I wouldn't say blitzing the seeds is essential. :)
    Okay, I made it - no blitzing involved!! It's cooling at the moment but it smells great!:)

BreadII.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Looks great! How did it taste?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭georgem25

I made this today. First time I made bread other than out of a packet.
    It was delicious!! This will be a regular going forward.
    I stuck to the recipe as given except I didnt have bran so I used linseed and pumpkin seeds. I also used natural yoghurt as recommended instead of buttermilk. I included raisins in the second half.
    I got a phonecall when I should have been taking them out of the oven so they ended up being in the oven for over an hour but as I said they were perfect. No taste of oil and not too moist.

Thanks very much for the recipe!! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks for sharing. :) Must experiment a bit with yoghurt as an alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I made this yesterday and it was really tasty! However I will definitely add more salt next time, as it did taste like it was missing something. I cooked it for about an hour and 10 minutes - and it's still a little moist in the middle. I had it with Jamie Olivers potato and leek soup and it was nicer than the soup!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭bealfeirste5

Absolutely delicious, thanks for the recipe!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Have just baked the bread now.

I have to admit that I used somewhat less oil. Also, as I don't have a loaf tin I made it into a soda bread shape.

For the crunch I add blitzed cashews and flaked almonds.

It'll be made again. Thanks, Black Oil!

106640.JPG

Looking good. :) Might try your almonds and cashnew nuts approach some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

I made this today, put 3/4 cup bread soda in by accident:(, soooooo disappointed but i'll make it properly tomorrow!

We made this again last night (at Mrs. Alex's insistence!):

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=6818

:D Yum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

I made this today, put 3/4 cup bread soda in by accident:(, soooooo disappointed but i'll make it properly tomorrow!

I did the exact same thing there last week, burnt the crap outta my ma's mouth and my own. I made it again today and it's lovely. Would recommend that anyone trying it should have a proper bread tin as rounds become very thin after spreading out. But that just means more crust!!

Also if you've never baked bread in your oven (which I hadn't) you may need to check on the bread throughout as it may have a hotter side which may need turning once. We have a fan oven and it still needed turning. You may need to cover the top with tinfoil so the top isn't burnt and the inside is cooked through. I roughly blitzed some pumpkin seeds and they added a nice bite and texture.

Still lovely bread, would be delish with a homemade veggie soup. Thanks for the recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

Holy carp! Another XBL/"Not cod forum" boardsie meeting!

I don't wanna change the recipe or anything but find the bread very dense so I cut the white flour down to 3/4 cup, niiiiice!

Your tinfoil idea is ace, mine gets a lovely crispy crust, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, but the inside is always mmmoist, will try this and report back.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I made this tonight. It turned out ok I guess. It's edible and tastes nice. :D
    I might have left it in a little too long. It got to around 45 mins and it was looking very pale still, so I left it for 10 mins more. The crust is very crunchy. For a first attempt I'm quite chuffed. :)

I made this again last night. Well, I used this as a template and changed it a bit.

Instead of the buttermilk I used a 200ml 400ml carton of tomato passata and some plain yogurt (which are both acidic), enough to make up the mix to the proper consistency. I also added a handful of sliced black olives to the mix.

It turned out really well.

Thanks again, TBO, for this fine recipe!

---

This is what is looks like:

picture.php?albumid=1409&pictureid=7849

The passata is the Nostia brand stuff that LIDL sell, BTW.

There are some flaked almonds in the bread, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Instead of the buttermilk I used a 200ml carton of tomato passata and some plain yogurt (which are both acidic), enough to make up the mix to the proper consistency. I also added a handful of sliced black olives to the mix.

Sounds really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 campbellu

Little Alex-what a great idea, I have not followed this bread recipe yet as I have been using a recipe for 20-yrs now and love it, however as you into experiments, i have been using seed mixes available in aldi/cereal section, gogiberries/linseed etc-easy enough to make up yourself, just add to mix, also oats, wheatgerm
    would love to see what bread looked like with tomato passata in it, may have to try it! My mix has 3 cups brown to 1 white and 1tsp soda it is wetter going into loaf tin-cant be done in round.
    Just found club today!

Heh, if you Google tomato passata is brings up a thread on boards.

Sounds good, though. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Not too sure if bumps are allowed in this forum but seeing as I've been making this every 2 weeks since I moved to NYC earlier this year I thought it deserved to be pushed to the top again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Bumps are more than welcome :-)

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I only saw this the other day and tried it.

I added my seed mix* instead of the bran and it was gorgeous:

1 part Sunflower seeds
    1 part Sesame seeds
    1 part Pumpkin seeds
    2 part linseed.

Blitz in a food mixer and add in.

Its a seed mix that I was told about during pregnancy, packed full of omegas 3&6 which is important for baby brain development in utero. It also surprisingly is lovely and nutty. I used to mix it in with breakfast cereals and yoghurts or smoothies during pregnancy. Normally I shun anything healthy but this was quite nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

First attempt!

Switched the buttermilk for natural yoghurt and didn't put any oil in. Could have done with more bread soda to get a better rise.

CF325AC3-CEAB-400D-A151-88E9004E57CE-25782-0000229C1E1B12AE_zpsd72bbe94.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Yum yum yum. Although there was a spot of User Error in the mixing of the ingredients and the temperature of the oven so our loaves are very crumbly. So easy to make though, I can see myself knocking up brown bread on a weekend morning more often! Went really well with my partner's first, and most tasty, attempt at vegetable soup

25d55c33-c02c-493b-b311-26c8ed0b75f2_zps4f0fa01f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

quick line to say that's a great recipe!!

I'd buttermilk in the fridge I wanted to use up (from the cooking club coffee cake!) so thought brown bread would be good idea (even though I never make it!!)
    I added an egg to the buttermilk and didn't use so much oil.
    In fact I used vegetable oil.

Also used Self Raising Flour and only half a teaspoon of bread soda.

My cooking time's were very different so my oven might have something wrong with it.
    I cooked it for an hour middle shelf at 180, it was still quite moist.
    Then I covered it with tinfoil and cooked for about forty mins.
    It was still a little moist when I took it out, but as it cooled it dried out.

Very nice, thanks a million to The Black Oil

photo 1-5.JPG

photo 2-5.JPG

Advertisement