Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

swinford HIM

• 10-01-2010 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

is anyone planning on taking part in this half-ironman race july 25th? it really is a beautiful place, that alone nearly has me convinced (disregarding my lack of experience in racing triathlons) i will be training in castlebar over the coming months till june so if anyone wants to train together.

http://www.swinfordtrisports.com/humbert.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Looks good. The bike ride will be through very scenic countryside.
    Being a Mayoman in exile in Dublin it's great to see so many events happening in the home County such as this, GFW, Roar, Achill HM, Louisburgh-Westport HM, and the new Duathlon in Castlebar.
    Plenty of reasons for returning West!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Looks very good and being from Sligo I would be very interested in doing it. Started Tris last year but in college in Dublin now so dont think ill have time to train for a HIM this year. But im defo going for the Swinford half in a few years. Mayo has a great racing scene, 4 Triathlons on the calender, not to mention road race series etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Windy gap is hard enough on a bike its fair play to Tri's for climbing it after a swim though the descent is always worth it;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Ya I am looking forward to this as well, going to be a tough race but the scenery around there is lovely, I think this race could fill up for them quickly. There is a lot of talk at my club about this one

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

Definitely doing this one. Just built up to HIM level and I'm from Swinford originally- I think there's a rule somewhere that if the race passes your parent's house you have to do it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭theo4130

i think i may need another year to build up to HIM race standard but it really is a definite for me next year!
    @ belcarra: duathalon in castlebar? can you tell me more about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Hi - any threads about specific events need to go in the Events sub forum, thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

No distances though on the bike or run :) Any chance they could throw in a few kayaks lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

I don't know anything about Swingford Tri sports. What track record have they got about organising races?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 tri3

Does anyone have more information about the Swinford HIM?

There's not much on their website regarding the bike or run courses in terms of profile, length of climbs, aid stations and general information on how it's going to be organised.

Also, does anybody know when it opens for entries?

No but I see from their site they are doing some official launch on feb 27th so maybe more info then, as an aside That Louisburgh tri finally got their website up and running, again this is another one thats tempting, I am a sucker for the scenic routes.

http://www.triburgh.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Westport has its own tri now : small swim will appeal to those not to keen on it , not course details yet :

http://www.runireland.com/events/2010-08-01/255-triathlon-series-westport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Westport has its own tri now : small swim will appeal to those not to keen on it , not course details yet :

http://www.runireland.com/events/2010-08-01/255-triathlon-series-westport

That looks good. I notice its not on the Triathlon Ireland website though. Im not sure if its one of these for profit races but if it was I would be weary as they seem to be getting a bit of a bad rep lately.

Ah I would give Seb a break here, it is for profit but i think his charges are reasonable. They are basic but some of us are tired of paying premium rates for a goody bag filled with leaflets and a t-shirt.

€125 for 4 triathlons is not to be sniffed at

And just before I foolishly posted this I looked in more detail

All the events includes Category prizes, Goodie bag, timing chip (all splits), & insurance provided by runireland.com

Does that mean you dont have to pay the one day licence either if you are not a triathlon member???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭MayoRoadRunner

Hi, first off i'll lay my cards on the table. i'm on the organising commitee of the Swinford HIM.
    We are in the final stages of wrapping up all the race details and these will be posted on www.swinfordtrisports.com. These details will include a full race profile including elevations, aid station locations etc.
    Just to reply to a couple of earlier posts -
    tri3

Also, does anybody know when it opens for entries?

Hi Tri3 - Event will be open for entries from 01.04.2010. As stated above more details will be posted on the site from the end of Feb.
    911sc I don't know anything about Swingford Tri sports. What track record have they got about organising races?

Hi 911sc. Swinford Tri Sports was set up last year and its aim is to promote sport in the community. It is not a profit making venture. All proceeds from the race will be reinvested back into the community and we have already discussed possible projects that can be funded from race proceeds including a much needed running track for the town and a sports festival aimed at families. There is a diverse background of people involved in the organising of this race including multiple iron man finishers, multiple marathon finishers and even a cyclist who is a mizen to malin record holder. There will be no expense spared in the running of this event and we are determined to offer each competitor unprecedented value for money. Please check out our site in the coming weeks for more detail.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭a123

catweazle wrote: »
    Does that mean you dont have to pay the one day licence either if you are not a triathlon member???

Yes, there is no one day licence fee for runireland events, they are covered by runireland event insurance, and this applies to all runireland events including Cope triathlon, Days duathlon, aquathlon series etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

Just to answer a few queries :

All my events are partnership with clubs than I am coaching as a fund raiser to pay pool fee etc... which are enormous.

Some of the money goes to some of our Olympians, Irish swim cap for Beijing(I don't want to give names I let you do some search), and sometimes I partner with local charities, Lough Ree Co op, Cope or businesses which decide the entry fee for their own benefit / profit. Finally it goes toward free coaching to some National Athletes.

Yes I do get some money out of it and I would be silly to put so much hours driving the country and set those events up to not get anything,and help me to be able to coach full time, which was my dream, but if funding for athletes is tight, I let you imagine for coaches.....nobody pay for my expenses when going abroad with my athletes.:P

For the event to be TI sanctioned we are working on it, TI is evolving fast and in the right way.

Hi All, Just said I would let you all know that the route map and elevation profile for the upcoming Humbert Challenge is now up on the website!

Race is on 25/07/2010 and we're open for entries 01/04/2010. Race will be chip timing and entry includes a very decent goody bag including a high quality technical t-shirt. Hot meal for all who participate. There will be several well stocked aid stations along the route. A pontoon will be in place for the swim. Our launch night is Saturday 28th Febuary so if anyone is in the locality drop into the Gateway hotel for a chat and nibbles! Will post up more info as it becomes available but if any questions just shout. Contact details on site also.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Best of luck with it, sounds A1.

Really need to get my finger out and learn how to swim and get into these events!!! :)

• Advertisement

Hi Yop, Relay option is also available so you just need to find a swimmer willing to give it a go! Plenty to time yet to train so never say never :)

Hi Yop, Relay option is also available so you just need to find a swimmer willing to give it a go! Plenty to time yet to train so never say never :)

So someone (wifey *cough cough*) cud swim it and I can do the rest ;) Now thats a reciepe for divorce!!! :D

yop - So someone (wifey *cough cough*) cud swim it and I can do the rest wink.gif Now thats a reciepe for divorce!!! :D

But at least you will have completed a HIM at the end of it :D Prioritize :D

MayoRoadRunner :A couple of questions .
    Not sure of your background but I will assume you know a thing or two about a thing or two when it comes to triathlons as your involved here .
    I am only in my 2nd year of Tri's and only completed in sprint's so all swims were short(with exception of Cope Galwaybay which was closer to 1k) . I have signed up for the Olympic in tryAthy but as Olympics go it may be the easier one for swims .(Aslo doing Athlone,Nenagh and few other sprints)
    So my Question :
    Is the swim possible for someone like me who can swim 1500m in a pool ? what is the lake like for swiming ?Is it shallow ? currents etc ?

The toughest bike ride I could compare this to is either the Killary-Westport leg of Gaelforce or the cycle route around Achill for the expert section of Achill Roar , does this compare to the windy gap?
    The run is the least of my concerns as I have completed several half marathons.
    As I am a plodder would you typically get the better age groupers at these events rather than the average joe ? (dont want to be last)
    Would love to do this but I am afraid it may be a bridge too far !

I think the windy gap and Sheffry is comparable, if you are used to Sheffry then you will manage windy gap.

Can't comment on the swim, only comment I can make is a few people who did the Salmon run in Ballina said the buoyancy in the wetsuits really helped them in the swim, but that could be total "horse" as the say.

It wasn't you out Belclare this evening was it? Spotted a lad on the road there.

Did the Salmon run also , the wetsuits give bouyany all right but unfortunately the dont have sails or oars !!!
    7m on the racecourse in Ballybrit after work .
    Usually out with CK in westport .

MayoRoadRunner :A couple of questions .
    Not sure of your background but I will assume you know a thing or two about a thing or two when it comes to triathlons as your involved here .
    I am only in my 2nd year of Tri's and only completed in sprint's so all swims were short(with exception of Cope Galwaybay which was closer to 1k) . I have signed up for the Olympic in tryAthy but as Olympics go it may be the easier one for swims .(Aslo doing Athlone,Nenagh and few other sprints)
    So my Question :
    Is the swim possible for someone like me who can swim 1500m in a pool ? what is the lake like for swiming ?Is it shallow ? currents etc ?

The toughest bike ride I could compare this to is either the Killary-Westport leg of Gaelforce or the cycle route around Achill for the expert section of Achill Roar , does this compare to the windy gap?
    The run is the least of my concerns as I have completed several half marathons.
    As I am a plodder would you typically get the better age groupers at these events rather than the average joe ? (dont want to be last)
    Would love to do this but I am afraid it may be a bridge too far !

Hey toomuchdetail - i'm from a marathon background but we have a several guys involved in the organising of the race who have completed up to iron man distance. I do bike and swim however so should be able to answer your questions.
    In terms of your concerns for the swim. First off, the lake is deep so you won't be able to stand at any point during the 1,900 meters. Everyone is different but imo you should be hitting 2,500-3,000 meters in the pool to transfer this to 1,900 meters in the lake. It all depends how competitive you are. Nothing to stop you breast stroking the 1,900 meters. Currents should'nt be a huge factor and the lake is fairly well sheltered so should'nt be choppy. I'm racing it myself and could'nt swim 200 meters without stopping 5 months ago. I'm up to 1,000 meters now and would be confident of getting through the 1,900m lake swim in 6 months time. Think if you can cover 1,500 meters in the pool you would be well able to cover the 1,900 meters in the lake in 6 months time if you put the time in.
    The bike is the longest and most difficult part of the race. Make no mistake about it. I hav'nt completed Achill Roar or Gael Force (although did complete Gael Force 24 hr mtb cycle). I would safely say that neither race comes close to the cycle section of the Humbert. The Windy Gap is a serious climb and you will see a lot of guys walking their bike up it. The elevation map says it all really.
    Not sure of the type of people who will sign up to the race. We've had a lot of interest from Tri clubs in the West but have also had a lot of interest from local people who have no previous background in either swim/bike or run. So there will be a large mix of people and don't worry you won't be last if you can swim 1,500 metres already ;) (I will :D)
    My advise would be to see how you get on with the swimming over the next month. If you are douting yourself maybe find someone to do the swim for you. That way you will have a full tank ready for the bike and run. You can always work towards completing the full race in 2011. Good luck with the swimming:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

finally getting around to looking at the calendar for the year and this kinda suits things. the course (lake swim and bike climbs) looks tip top imho.

Apologies if Ive missed the obvious, but can anyone tell me when entries open for this ?

Depending on her mood, Mrs Interested may be on hand to bash out 1900m swim if anyones stuck for a swimmer for a relay on the day.

Dont tell me mrs interested is another top swimmer as well, I will keep my ears peeled in the gym for her so.

I will also tell our star swimmer he will have a bit of competition on the day, although he admits himself he is at an advantage to the others as he is only doing the swim

Race entry open april 1st

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

catweazle wrote: »
    Dont tell me mrs interested is another top swimmer as well, I will keep my ears peeled in the gym for her so.

I will also tell our star swimmer he will have a bit of competition on the day, although he admits himself he is at an advantage to the others as he is only doing the swim

Race entry open april 1st

Thanks champ, April 1st eh ? ;)

Yeah, she can swim a bit, and the lake swim would definitely be more her cup of tea than the open swim. It'd be nice to meet your swimmer friend before the event kicks off - always like to ensure I am familiar with a pair of feet before I follow them for 1.9 km :) especially if they'll be done and dusted for the day by around 9.30.
    Looks like a really nice race - all you want is some good weather.

Advertisement