Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telecom Éireann exchange question

• 10-01-2010 5:31pm

Bit of a techy question here. Out of boredom I've been reading up on the history of the P&T, Telecom Éireann and Eircom, it was mentioned about the exchange upgrades in the 1980s and 1990s.

I used to live in Ballyfermot until 1996, we had a full digital exchange there, I now know it to be Palmerstown (01 623xxxx, 626xxxx). We moved to Kerry in the same year and we got our phone line installed. The local exchange was Finuge (068 40xxx) and it was some sort of analogue exchange. It didn't accept tone dialling, we had to change a switch on the bottom of the phone to use pulse dialling. Also, when you picked up the handset you heard a buzzing tone for about a second, which then cut out to the regular dial tone. Does anyone know what type of equipment would have caused this behaviour? I remember thinking it must have been ancient but it was upgraded about a year later.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

It was probably an Ericsson ARF crossbar switch.

zeris wrote: »
    It was probably an Ericsson ARF crossbar switch.

I was thinking it might have been a crossbar alright. It was replaced sometime in 1997.

Advertisement