Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

schools re-opening ??

• 10-01-2010 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Just wondering if the minister might re-open schools before Thursday as seems the big freeze is on its way out ? Any thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

Very doubtful after ordering the closure. And there's no guarantee that the conditions will be any better before Thursday either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭popppy

I guess you are probably right....... starting to pray for more snow !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

It's been snowing all day in Cork so I'm very glad the decision was made to close the schools. There's already been a few crashes (minor thank god) near where I live, causing tailbacks on already dangerous minor roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

In my day we walked to school in our bare feet. The snow was welcome relief because it numbed the feet.:)

Don't know their born.......grumble grumble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

There is a review to be made on tuesday,so technically they could open wednesday,but doubtful before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I'd say they'll definitely still be closed tomorrow. But depending on what happens tonight he might get the schools back for Wednesday.

It depends on whether the ice thaws or not

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The BBC forecast shows a huge improvement in temperatures, starting on Monday. I do think the meeting on Tuesday should be on Tuesday morning as there is a chance the schools will be able to open on Wednesday, those with water at any rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

MInister said all schools CLOSED Monday - Wednesday. He will make an announcement Tuesday regarding Thur & Friday. He is doing this Tuesday to give adequate notice. There will be no school Wednesday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

PcAngel wrote: »
    MInister said all schools CLOSED Monday - Wednesday. He will make an announcement Tuesday regarding Thur & Friday. He is doing this Tuesday to give adequate notice. There will be no school Wednesday.
    Ordinarily I would agree but this Gov make decisions one day and change their minds the next. The weather will improve dramatically on Monday and further improvements are due throughout the week, time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Badboy1977

Schools will not re-open Tuesday. That would be a foolish decision as forecast is still up in the air. Perhaps Wednesday. Even then Im not so sure as notice could be too late if the meeting is only held Tue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Schools now free to re-open if they can do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 weeeeeeeezy

yup check out rte.ie schools should re-open if they can decision should be made again at local level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Schools now free to re-open if they can do so.

O'Keeffe has just announced that local boards of management cab decide to reopen schools - if they should choose to do so.

RTE News section has just announced this.

PcAngel wrote: »

As I said in my earlier post, this Gov make one decision one day and change it the next, nobody should be surprised by this.
    Having said that leaving it to individual BOM to see whether they will open or not is the right decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Badboy1977

Its going to be a bit of a mess-he would have been better to go for Wed as I still think weather is mixed-snow is still expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

Just got word that my school is reopening on Wednesday, I'd say there'll be quite a few schools around the country doing the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

TheColl wrote: »
    Just got word that my school is reopening on Wednesday, I'd say there'll be quite a few schools around the country doing the same.

There are quite a few opening tomorrow too. The list is on the RTE website.

Advertisement