Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Issues in North County Dublin

Options
  • 10-01-2010 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

any one else got no water? I know some people in Ringfort, Balruddery Wood and Rosepark have no water today, no sign of it returning....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Frozen pipes or water cut off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Lady Davenport

p1x1e wrote: »
    any one else got no water? I know some people in Ringfort, Balruddery Wood and Rosepark have no water today, no sign of it returning....

I'm in Balrothery too, haven't had water all day either. I've been on the councils website and there's no information regarding shutting off the water, not that I'm surprised. I've gas heating heating in my home and know the rads use water, does anyone know if I'm right in saying the heating shouldn't be used? :o

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm in Balrothery too, haven't had water all day either. I've been on the councils website and there's no information regarding shutting off the water, not that I'm surprised. I've gas heating heating in my home and know the rads use water, does anyone know if I'm right in saying the heating shouldn't be used? :o
    So long as you have water in your storage tank (which would have been full when the water went off) your heating system should be fine to keep going

Water Pressure has been very low for us today (Milverton)

Beasty wrote: »
    So long as you have water in your storage tank (which would have been full when the water went off) your heating system should be fine to keep going

Now that I'm not sure of, I noticed the cold tap was gone in the kitchen early this morning. But I don't know how long the water has been off. will have to investigate, thanks for that :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Now that I'm not sure of, I noticed the cold tap was gone in the kitchen early this morning. But I don't know how long the water has been off. will have to investigate, thanks for that :)
    Your external supply should connect straight to the cold tap - hence if the cold is off your external supply is interrupted (you will not get any water to flush the toilets either)
    The hot comes from the storage tank, via the boiler - you should not drink it unless boiled, and should try and conserve it until the mains supply comes back.
    If your hot tap is working, there should be water in the tank (and I would be very surprised if there is not). Either way you should not do your heating system any harm by giving it a try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Problems with levels in Ballycoolin. Knock-on effect to us. Supply restored earlier today, but will take some time before it reaches us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I've been on the councils website and there's no information regarding shutting off the water, not that I'm surprised.
    Thats because they haven't shut off the water.

There is information on their site via an external Twitter link.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I'm in Balrothery

No problems at all any any time recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 steveccie

Been through to the emergency team in Fingal Co Council - problem with Palmerstown reservoir has resulted in water cut off until tomorrow morning. That's as of 6pm.
    HTH.

Mrs Billy spoke with them at 8pm and they said that it had never been cut off, but was a problem with the pressure due to low levels in the reservoirs.

That's three different versions in the past 4 hours from them.

'Arsé', 'elbow', 'don't', 'from', 'know'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 p1x1e

was on to them several stages today myself (oh dear and as i write this i'm aware i sound like a pest...). first time (this morning) was told the water pressure being reduced wouldn't effect me and i probably just have a frozen pipe. second time (midday) i rang to say it was at least my estate that was out and was told there had been no reports of it. they said they'd get someone to look at it. this evening i was told it was a frozen mains pipe. i just wanted an estimated time they'd have it fixed but wasn't convinced they believed me that we had no water. hope it can be fixed soon.... :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Well at this stage all you can do is wait until FCC reopens in the morning. Hopefully they will be able to give you an answer then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 MSmum

Just so you know, when Fingal or any council reduces the water pressure in an area, the areas on high ground are affected more, this is due to the pressure not being strong enought to pump to the estates, this would expalin the lack of water
    Heating systems once they are not open systems, connected direct to the mains, are grand to be running no matter whether theres water or not

Water pressure is back up to near normal for us now. Water is cloudy, but fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sinemo

I have three sisters living up that direction, I'll check and see if they know what the story is and report back! :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Have there been any problems in Balbriggan? Low pressure etc?

Water back in The Hills @ 11:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

still not back in Balrothery :(

I do hope the water comes back soon, we've a vomiting bug in our home, and trying to keep the bathrooms clean and disinfected is becoming a major problem.
    Bluetonic wrote: »
    Thats because they haven't shut off the water. There is information on their site via an external Twitter link.

I'm grateful for this information, but it isn't particularly useful for the elderly, those who don't have the internet, and those who find Twitter absurd.

water back in Balrothery at 8.30am this morning

• Advertisement

Gone again ! :confused:

we have water but not enough pressure to fill the tank

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Fingal have announced they've reduced the pressure all round but won't be cutting off the supply to anyone but supply might be "disrupted"

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Water/CustomerServices-WaterDepartment/EmergencyInformationUpdates/
    Fingal County Council's principal water reservoir at Ballycoolen and all other reservoirs in the county are at critically low levels. Across the region, all Councils are continuing to produce water on a 24 hour basis but water supplies throughout are at critical levels because of increased demand.
    As a result Fingal County Council will be throttling water supply from today. Water supply will NOT be cut off completely but all areas will experience reduced pressure and there may be a disruption to supply during the day or at night over the next couple of days. Greatest restrictions will applied at night-time when there is lower demand on the supply.

I may have to go back to showering with Evian water. Takes so long to fill the tank with 2 litre bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pearsed

No water on the Naul road.
    no heating either, it emptied it self back into the mains.
    Anyone know when it will be back on??

RobFowl wrote: »
    I'm in Balrothery

No problems at all any any time recently
    Gone again ! :confused:

Could be a case of "Fowl" play

Perhaps Robbie is siphoning all your water off

Look out for that van on the main road selling large bottles of the stuff:D

Seriously though, I hope you all get your supplies back soon - some forecasts are saying more snow tomorrow, others are for rain - hopefully the thaw will continue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Dubrub

In Balruddery Wood here and we're still without water,,
    Rose Park and the Village seem to be OK. I rang Fingal Co and was on hold for 30mins so hung up,,

Beasty wrote: »
    Could be a case of "Fowl" play

Perhaps Robbie is siphoning all your water off

Look out for that van on the main road selling large bottles of the stuff:D

Seriously though, I hope you all get your supplies back soon - some forecasts are saying more snow tomorrow, others are for rain - hopefully the thaw will continue

I've visions of some guy bottling tap water and selling it Dell Boy style now :pac:

I do love the snow, but this business with the water is cracking me up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 p1x1e

just home. no water. :-( at a loss. do i ring fingal again and spend ages on hold? it would be nice to know how long it will be gone for...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sinemo

Fingal County Engineer is due to speak on Drivetime about the water shortages right now according to the Fingal CoCo Twitter.

Advertisement